My email to SlingMedia about SlingMobile for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HiFiGuy528, Aug 10, 2009.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Hello,

I've been a happy Slingbox (desktop app) user since launch. I bought the SlingMobile for iPhone the day it hit the streets. Aside from being Wi-Fi only (damn you AT&T), the black bars on all sides is a disappointment. 4x3 images look like a postage stamp and 16x9 look squeezed with black bars all around. I bought the app the day it hit the streets. It's now August and still no update to fix the black bars. I showed you support by spending $30 on this Wi-Fi only app. Show me you care by fixing the black bars.

2. cmaier macrumors G3

Less annoying than most such customer emails. I remember a time when sling used to be incredibly responsive. We'll see.

3. tsvb macrumors 6502

4. psywzrd macrumors 68030

:D

5. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Sling used to be responsive when it came to getting back to you but when it came to actually doing something, they've always taken forever to do anything. Slingplayer for Windows Mobile has been out for a LONG time...years...and I only know of two updates. The last one took so long that by the time I got the update that fixed a problem with WinMo graphics, I had a different phone and it didn't matter anymore. They do make nice stuff, I have Slingplayer for BB, iPhone, WinMo, Mac and PC, but man do they take their sweet time doing anything, anything at all.

6. drew68 macrumors newbie

The remote control is horrible for the iPhone. There is no power button for my cable box. The windows mobile versions has a power button. It really stinks when the power goes out and the cable box stays in standby and I can't turn it on remotely. I have a cable box that Is hooked to my sling only, no tv.

7. severe macrumors 6502a

drew, have you tried scrolling (sideways; to the right/left) within the remote window? I've seen many posts claiming there's no power button, though I get every button my remote has, including power. Granted, I can see how it could be overlooked.

More SlingPlayer 1.1 news.

"Slingbox owners with DISH Network can now navigate using a touch-supported native browser, instead of pushing through the TV-standard browsing screen being streamed in."

This looks awesome, too bad it's not available for DirecTV.

8. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

Do you have to connect your slingbox to cable box or can you connect it to a TV that receives cable through the cable input in the wall?

9. cmaier macrumors G3

I'm pretty sure at least one of the models has a coax input. Alternatively, your TV might have RCA out.

10. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

Yea because I'll be at college and of course I don't plan on spending all my time watching TV, but I actually have quite a few channels I'd like to watch that I won't get with college cable: Science Channel, Military Channel, G4, Tennis Channel, and most importantly, HD with all those channels (with a 32" 720p HDTV, it's almost the same quality with the Slingbox PRO-HD, right?), and I'm sure the box at home will only be used at night so I'll have plenty of opportunity to use it. I think I will buy it (I have the money, whether it's worth it is the question), seems like a good investment, only problem is that the cable box and my modem are separated by about 6 feet, a big wall in between! Going under the house is possible, but we also can't have a cable going 50 feet since the Slingbox can't do wireless.

11. cmaier macrumors G3

Sling sells power-line network adapters. Seem expensive. For one of my slingboxes I use a netgear wireless access point set up as a wi-fi bridge.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can put a splitter and take one of the cable lines and plug it directly in the back of the slingbox. No need for cable boxes or anything, just the cable wire.

13. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I am waiting for Apple to approve the Sling app update.

14. severe macrumors 6502a

As am I.