My excursion to the Apple Store today

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DuskRune, Jun 4, 2008.

1. DuskRune macrumors newbie

Well I have just recently been hired into the start of my career and have been looking to furnish my apartment, so before a 2 hour trip in Ikea I went to the Apple Store in the area.

They might as well had a recording playing the back to school/summer deal, because every employee was touting it, so good for Apple! As for me the only thing that I was debating on was the issue of a glossy or matte screen with the high resolution MBP. All of my local authorized retailers recommended hitting up one of the official stores since they don't even carry the LED back lit version in house.

So there is the matte MBP, an no glossy in sight. I ask an employee and he states that there is a glossy one right around the corner, which happens to be the matte one. I correct him and he states it doesn't come in a glossy finish -___-

After convincing him it does with the online apple store he proceeds to check with a manager. Apparently they don't carry the glossy screens in store and they are only available online. Well that was a wasted trip.

The screen wasn't as nice as photos have let on either, but that was probably because of the bright lighting washing the screen out a bit. The glossy MBs looked better in that lighting than the matte ones, but I want to see that great screen in action!

Right now I am thinking I should just forget portability and go with an iMac instead to save several hundred, but I have been wanting a laptop forever and a day now.

Ikea was productive at least.

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Go for hi-res matte, you can't go wrong unless you have really bad eye sight. Certainly nothing is as good as in the pictures, but the hi-res MBP is very nice, though for organizational reasons, the Apple stores can't stock every possible configuration of each product.

3. DuskRune thread starter macrumors newbie

I can appreciate that from a retail perspective, but with 10 MBs on display you'd hope there would be more than one 17'' MBP.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They don't stock glossy 17" HRs at the stores; also it's not worth getting the 2.6GHz anyways (I have it only because I had no other choice).

As with matte vs. glossy, it's really a personal preference not a which is better; they both have a pluses and minuses; I prefer the matte simply 'cause of bad experience with glossy.