Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dharma-P

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2018
Today I finally purchased my own AirPods Pro! I've been using the BeatsX since they came out like a lot of other users here. In this thread I want to share my experience with the AirPods Pro after using the BeatsX for the last couple of years. Keep in mind this is just my own personal opinion, so don't come after me :(.

Design: I like the design of the AirPods Pro a lot. At first I was scared that they would fall out of my ears, on the BeatsX this wouldn't be a problem because it goes around your neck. However, the APP are very secure and I don't think they will fall out under normal usage (you still have to be more cautious compared to the BeatsX though). The APP look way sleeker because you don't have all those wires. Also, I really love the ability to charge the AirPods on the go with the wireless charging case.

Winner: AirPods Pro

Comfort: Comfort is very important to me, I like to wear earbuds for longer periods of time since I don't like to use headphones (they are too bulky for my taste). The BeatsX were okay in this regard, even though they would fall out once in a while (I didn't like the ear wings). The main thing that annoyed me however, was that the BeatsX create a vacuum in your ear. Now I know that these kind of earbuds are supposed to do that, but the pressure in your ear feels so unnatural and annoying. I'm happy to report that I didn't have this issue with the APP (because of the venting system)! They also sit on my ears way more comfortable than the BeatsX, primarily because there are no wires to pull them down. Finally, the fact that they are sweat proof is amazing as well.

Sound: After listening to some music I noticed that the highs and mids were better on the AirPods Pro, voices would pop more and I could distinguish the instruments better. However, the bass is definitely better on the BeatsX (I think because it seals your ears better, while creating an annoying vacuum). Even though you sacrifice some bass, I didn't mind this since there was no annoying pressure in my ears anymore. Overall the sound is better, but it won't give you a wow-effect. The APP also have active noise cancelling and transparency mode, which the BeatsX lack. Now they are nowhere as good as my Beats Wireless Studio's active noise cancelling, but I was seriously impressed how much it was able to block out considering the size of this thing. You can still hear people talking when noise cancelling is on and the volume is on low/medium, which is less the case for car and traffic noise (I suppose it's less effective with higher pitched noises). The transparency mode allowed to hear what stations the subway was approaching. This mode works best if you keep your music at a lower volume. Overall, yes, the APP definitely sound better than the BeatsX.

Value: The AirPods Pro are very expensive. Let's not forget that. Yes, they are reasonably priced compared to other noise cancelling alternatives, but it's still 312 dollars including tax (in Europe) compared to 110 for the BeatsX. You can buy an Apple Watch Series 3 for less money. The sound quality and design are definitely a step up, but not 200 dollars more. For me, these features don't justify the price tag. However, if you have money to spare, and you want the latest and greatest, then yes, go for it. I don't regret my purchase since I work very hard and I'm able to buy expensive things once in a while. This is just a classic example of buying brand clothings compared to shops like H&M. Both will do the job just fine, but you will get more bang for your buck if you go for the BeatsX. If you don't mind wearing headphones you may also look into that, but this comparison is just between the BeatsX and AirPods Pro.

Winner: BeatsX

Conclusion: The AirPods are better in almost every category (except bass) and bring new features to the table. The noise cancelling and transparency modes are amazing to have on earbuds! The AirPods Pro are still luxury products, so if you have the money to spare, go for it! You won't regret it they are amazing. But if you're someone who can't decide and also wants the most value for their money, the BeatsX (or other earbuds/headphones) are still a great option. I hope you liked my review, let me know your thoughts in the comments below. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them as well.

Last edited:

Dharma-P

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2018
what about the quality of the microphone during phone calls?

The AirPods Pro definitely handle phone calls better. I think that's mainly because the microphone on the BeatsX keeps moving around since it's attached to a cable going to your neck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.