My Experience at the Apple Store RE: iPhone 4 issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wingnut330, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

So, I went into the Apple Store today to see if anything could be done to help mitigate the issues I'm having with my phone (dropped calls, poor data reception, proximity issue). I had an appointment and was assigned a tech. I expressed to him my concerns with the phone in a very polite way (it's not this guys fault my phone performs random acts of randomness) and let him know that I'm an experienced user and that this was my 3rd iphone. I basically summed things up by saying that my new iphone 4 was dramatically less consistent and reliable than the previous 2 versions I have had.

Experience 1: The tech takes the phone back in the back of the building (or behind the big green curtain like the Wizard of Oz). I have no idea what they tried or how they tested it but he was gone for about 10 minutes. He comes back and says he has never heard of the proximity issues and since they couldn't replicate it, he refused to swap out the phone. I told him that what he was saying is exactly what I expected him to say and that I likely will need to return the phone. I asked him when my 30 days was up. He said 30 days from the day I ordered it. I thanked him and left.

As I left, I called my dad and phone subsequently put him on hold and then dropped the call altogether! Nice! I call him back and we chat for a couple of minutes and then it starts beeping in my ear telling me that my FaceTime chat failed. Nice! I'm about 200 yards from the Apple Store. Frustrated, I call back and ask for a manager. After talking to one of his call screeners I finally talk to the manger.

Experience 2: I explain the problem to the manager and tel him that my frustration isn't with him or his staff, but with my device. I explain the proximity issue etc. He admitted that he was aware of the issue (finally!) and had seen it happen to other store managers etc. He said would gladly replace my phone but advised me that all iphone 4's are having this problem and none of the iphone 4's are having this problem. In other words, it's user specific depending on face shape, how the phone is held etc. He said that there is an patch coming in the next few weeks to address this issue and that it's not a hardware issue. I was pleased because at least he admitted the problem and offered me options (replace or return). I asked him when I had to return it - he said 30 days from the day it was received.

Experience 3: After talking with the store manager I call the Apple 800 number. The rep asked what problems I was having. I quickly explained the issues to her. She too advised me of an impending patch. She didn't know when, but also said it would be in the coming weeks. I asked her about the return policy and she said it was 30 days from the day it was shipped.

So, they admitted the problem exists, that it's not hardware, that it will be fixed soon. I hope it's before my 30 day return window closes otherwise I'll have to return the one I have.

2. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Nice, This whole issue is taking forever to be fixed but we must be patient

3. Hyr macrumors member

Hyr

Sorry you had a bad experience with the first Genius. I'm assuming you were at the Apple store at Easton since your profile says Central Ohio. Try to get a Genius named Rich next time. I met him on launch day, he stood in line with us for 8 hours trying to get a phone but ended up having to leave the line and go in to work. He was a really awesome guy and very well versed in Apple. It seems some Geniuses are more Genius than others, lol. I know if I ever have any issues with any of my Apple products I'll be making an appointment with him.

4. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

i went to the apple store today for the sensor issue too....the guy i had helping me used my phone, and then used his and said yeah your sensor seems glitchy.

he went to the back and came back out and said they would replace my phone (but they didn't have any in stock) and when he asked another guy how to handle the paperwork this guy said that it was a software issue and they would issue a patch, that his phone does the same thing, but yet the apple guy that was helping me said his phone was fine so i really don't know...he then offered to still replace my phone and i said yeah that i would prefer that.

if anyone at apple is telling you there is no problem they are wrong!

my question is, if they are replacing our phones because of this, will it be a new phone or a refurb?

5. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, I was at Easton. They guy was friendly and as far as I can tell he was trying to be helpful, but who knows what they actually did or didn't do while in the back room. I was a little frustrated because it almost came across like he didn't believe me. I have much better things to do on a holiday than spend 30 minutes in their store that's for sure. I was there because it's a problem and I want it fixed.

I have never had poor service from Apple and in every other instance I have dealt with them, but today was disappointing.

6. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I will also be going to the Easton store to get my iPhone looked at. Hopefully they will replace it, as I'm having other issues than just the stuff that's being talked about.

7. Sedin macrumors member

Heh. I'm going to the Eastin store myself tomorrow due to the proximity issue. My phone doesn't do it unless I pinch it between my shoulders in an awkward way. But my boyfriend's phone is unuseable unless he puts the call on speaker. It's upsetting to me since I bought it for him as a gift. I'm not pissed off or anything just disappointed that he can't enjoy his phone to the fullest. I'm not sure if we'll go ahead and get a replacement or not. I'm a little worried that we'd end up with one that has a reception issue instead. But at least I have a bit of an idea of what to say when I see the Genius tomorrow.

EDIT: Completely off topic, but did the Easton store have any colored bumpers?