My experience at the Apple store. Walked out with no iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ItalianBoston, Jul 12, 2008.

1. ItalianBoston macrumors regular

So I walked into my Apple store, there was no line and I was waited on within 5 minutes.

The guy gets the phone I want and everything and starts the process.
    Then he asks me if I get a discount on my plans through AT&T, I say "yes, why?" Then he said that they cant sell me an iPhone. He said Apple doesnt honor discounted prices from AT&T, he said I would have to take my discount off my plan or go to an AT&T store and buy one. So I said I will take my discount off and you sell me an iPhone, he said you can do that but it wont be in the system for 4 hours. I wasnt to happy.

So I walk out with no iPhone :(

Figures no line, they had a lot of phones in stock and I still cant get one.

So I guess I will go back tomorrow and try again.

Any one else have this problem?

2. jdcrow711 macrumors regular

apple store i went to told everyone in line repeatedly that this was the case --- and it was on these forums literally dozens of times. if you had researched you would have known this was the case. it does suck for you now, but it is not news

3. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

They have been stating this for awhile now. If you are getting any type of discount from AT&T you must go to an AT&T store.

4. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

if you were willing to take off the discount why didnt you just take the phone and wait 4 hours. it wouldnt have killed you since your willing to wait an entire day.

5. ItalianBoston thread starter macrumors regular

The guy wouldnt sell me the phone period. So I took it off, I will go back tomorrow and get one.

6. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

I just read your post above...you did the right thing my friend..

7. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

That employee was incorrect. I also had a discount and ran into the same problem on launch day. I called at&t in the thick of it yesterday, spoke with someone by calling 611 and she took it off. Within 2 minutes they were able to ring me up. Later that day I went to a at&t store and had my discount reactivated.

8. ItalianBoston thread starter macrumors regular

Yea that employee said I had to wait 4 hours. The att person on the phone said I should be able to get it right away. I will just pick one up tomorrow and then go to the att store down the street and tell them to put my discount back on.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Had a similar experience. I called 611 when I was in line to buy the iPhone. They removed my discount and told me it may take between 4 and 24 hours for the change to take place. 30 minutes later, when I finally got to the front of the line, it worked. The Apple guy had no problems selling me the iPhone.

Others had the opposite experience (called, had it removed, and the Apple sales process failed during the part where it contacts AT&T and looks at your account).

10. tjpoch macrumors member

tjpoch

I want a discount

How are you people getting a discount?

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

I used to work for a company that offered its AT&T discount to all employees. It was like 8% off the monthly bill or something like that.

12. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

My discount was removed and I was able to buy the phone almost instantaneously.

13. gts197 macrumors regular

I am so happy to read this knowing that I don't need to wait for AT&T to get phones in....I was on line for an hour and a half on friday at an apple store and had the same thing happen to me. I called and told them I wanted my discount removed. OF COURSE the moron at AT&T said it wasnt possible to remove my discount. I fought him with no success. I just called and got it removed in a matter of seconds.

14. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

did the same thing. guy at the apple store was very happy to help.

15. tamakin macrumors member

OK why would you guys remove your monthly discount from at&t? Are you guys that desperate to buy one from the Apple store????

16. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

That's what I don't understand. Why give up a discount on your monthly bill. Why not just go to the AT&T store?

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's only temporary. You call, take it off, and then once you have your iPhone you call back and have the Foundation Account Number (FAN) reapplied to get your discount.

Why Apple can't do this (or better yet, just handle discounts without issue, it's none of their business whether I'm getting a FAN discount anyway) is beyond me.

18. tamakin macrumors member

Just called the Apple store. They told me I need to get my monthly discount from AT&T lifted or they can't sell me one. This is pathetic. And I feel sorry for the people that fell for this load of hot maneur and removed their discounts just to buy it at the Apple store. I have a VERY old talk plan-$29.99 a month plus I get a $3 discount every month. I'm not about to remove my discount just because they wanna screw me into getting a more expensive plan. Utter bull-doo doo.

19. tamakin macrumors member

Yea, they got you huh? Temporary? Good luck getting that discount back buddy. AT&T just bent you over and you know the rest.

20. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I went to an AT&T store. My discount was never removed.

Think before you speak. And I'm not your buddy, buddy.

21. tamakin macrumors member

Calm down BUDDY.

22. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

He ain't your buddy, guy.

23. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

Can I be you buddy Scaredpoet? I think you are cool.

LOL!

24. mode101 macrumors regular

He ain't your guy, friend.

25. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

How much is the difference with the discount anyways?