My Experience Talking with an "Apple Expert"

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Inspired, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Inspired macrumors regular

Inspired

So I had a question about purchasing a refurb ipod touch:

You are chatting with Donna G, an Apple Expert
    "Apple Expert": Hi, my name is Donna G. Welcome to Apple!
    Me: Hi if I order a refurbish ipod touch now will it have 3.1 OS?
    "Apple Expert": Hello
    "Apple Expert": One moment while I research that for you.
    Me: thank you
    "Apple Expert": You're welcome.
    "Apple Expert": That would come with v2.2.1

Me: but the website says that "The iPhone 3.1 software for iPod touch is included with all iPod touch models purchased after September 9, 2009"
    "Apple Expert": It says that on your refurbished iPod?
    Me: http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/software-update.html
    this site says it
    Me: on top right corner
    "Apple Expert": That is not the refurbished second generation iPod touch.
    "Apple Expert": May I help with any other product or order questions before you proceed?

Me: no, we shall stick with this ipod question
    "Apple Expert": Thank you for visiting the Apple Store. We appreciate your business. If you would like more help, please chat with us again.
    "Apple Expert": Thank you for choosing the Apple Store. If you have any additional questions, please chat us again.

WoW! :eek:

2. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

Yep, that chat feature was pretty useless for me when I was waffling on MacBook vs Macbook Pro.

3. RareEarthMetal macrumors member

RareEarthMetal

Apple sucks........

up the competition..

4. alm99 macrumors 6502

What are you WOWing? What wasn't helpful about that? She answered your question.

5. chris3g macrumors member

your question was answered, and answered correctly. It just wasn't the answer you wanted to hear :confused:

6. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

I'm WoWing because I had more question about this issue, since the website clearly says it would ship 3.1 OS with ALL ipod touch model purchase after 9-9-2009. and before I could ask it she disconnected me,dont get me wrong I'm not mad or anything I just thought i share this little experience with you guys.

7. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

As someone who works with customers all day, this is not the right way to go about helping someone!

I would have felt rushed and stupid as if I'm making them go out of their way to answer a question and then they leave like that. I always make sure to end these kind of things with "Does that answer all your questions?", or "Does that make sense to you?".

I mean, how many times are you going to say "What?" before you just nod your head and say yes even though you still don't understand.

8. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

I was shocked that a Apple Employee would speak to a customer that way, this is the first time that i actually feel apple is showing bad customer service.

9. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Yeah, they aren't representing the company very well. I would certainly put in a formal complaint because this employee might be lackluster. Again, I wouldn't base all of Apple's Customer support off this one person. Especially for online chat, if that is how it happened over the phone I would damn well call a supervisor.

As a manager I pay close attention to things like that, as a customer I don't really bother with complaints. I would have been "Ah?", but then forget about it and go along my day.

10. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/apple_certified.html

Apple Certified Refurbished Products
    Frequently Asked Questions:
    (1) What are Apple Certified Refurbished Products?

Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, all units undergo Apple's stringent quality refurbishment process.

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:
    is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
    is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
    is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
    is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.).
    includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details.
    is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
    is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.
    Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple's Finished Goods testing procedures.

12. nastebu macrumors 6502

So, she gave you a clear answer to your question, but you didn't like the answer and you wanted to argue and complain?

I'm not having a lot of sympathy for you.

13. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

Quite honestly sir, I dont need your sympathy :D. I am just a consumer with some questions but before being able to answer all my questions she disconnected our chat. And you might say "hmmm but she did answer all your question 'Inspired' what ever could you mean? :eek:" I would have asked some more question if she wasn't so rude to disconnect our chat, that is what i mean :D.

But again, I would like to remind any new readers, I am in no way unhappy about this(therefore I dont need sympathy from 'nastebu' but thanks for trying man, your quote does not make you look bad at all :rolleyes:) my purpose of this post is really just to share an experience that the 'Apple Expert' disconnected me. This was significant to be because usually they ask a few times to make sure I don't need their assistant anymore before they either disconnect the chat themselves or I disconnect the chat from them.

Thanks for your interest guys! :D

SHout OUT! to 'nastebu' :D :D :D :D :D

14. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I think your "No, we shall stick with this iPod question" when she had already answered it was rather rude.

I think she did a sterling job and answered your question correctly, quickly and politely.

15. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

I acknowledge your opinion, but like i mentioned before I really think that if a customer still has more questions the service provider(the 'Apple Expert' should stick around to answer it rather than disconnect).

I mean it's easy for most people to say "hey, she answered your question so she did good" But if it was YOU whom got disconnect from a chat or while you were in the apple store the reps just answered the one question out of your many questions and walked away, I bet everyone here would be as shocked as i was about the customer service that was given by apple.

Again, this was just to share my experience with my beloved Apple community, that is all. I received much more than I have given back to this community and just wanted to share this. I dont mind not being 'popular' in this forum but I just thought this experience would help those who have had the unfortunate luck as I have with customer service to know they're NOT ALONE. WE SHALL STICK TOGETHER AND EAT ICE CREAM, WE SHALL EAT TILL WE CANT EAT NO MORE!!!!! :D

16. bshap000 macrumors newbie

17. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

If it is refurbished and available today I would say it was 100% purchased prior to 9-9-2009. Stop whining it's $5.

18. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

but that refers to all NEW iPod Touchs not refurbs :rolleyes::rolleyes:

19. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

I've gone to that link and can't see the text you quote:confused:

20. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

She was a bit.. errr.. "curt" but she did answer your question, and then ask if you have any other questions. There's no point getting into an argument if the customer doesn't accept the answer to the question.

She could do with a few whacks of the friendly stick, but I don't blame her for not getting into a "yes it is, no it isn't" argument.

21. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

she asked if you had any other questions and you said no.

How can you fault her for ending the conversation? Sure after you explained yourself here in the forum we can all see that you had more questions but you told her no!

22. Wraz macrumors regular

is it free to chat with apple? if yes. then can you give me a link please?