My experience traveling/driving with AW

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by susan12369, Jul 14, 2015.

1. susan12369 macrumors 6502

I just got back from a one-week vacation in NC, and drove about 15 hours each way. I loved my watch before, and I didn't think this trip would change anything, but I was wrong. I love it even more!

I drove alone, while other family members were also driving in from their points of origin. Texts were going constantly from other cars (where it was safe to do so, as the texter wasn't the driver), checking in with progress, etc. And it was so easy for me to join in on the status updates, using my watch and dictation and I barely had to take my eyes off the road, and could always keep a hand on the wheel. Any long texts I saved until I stopped the car for a break, but the shorter updates could be easily glanced at and responded to, while still safely driving. Hurrah!

I did wear it while at the beach, but took it off in the pool. When I wore it sailing, a few people were surprised I was willing to risk it like that, but it was fine. A good washing when I got home from the trip, and all is well. I have a couple more scuff marks, but that's life. The Milanese loop held up well - I brought my black sport band but didn't wear it at all.

2. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Glad you had a great time. Did you use any special sailing app when you were sailing or do you know if any even exist yet. There was a good one for Pebble and I don't know if they have brought it over for the :apple: Watch yet.

3. danmart macrumors 6502

danmart

I agree, the watch is a fantastic tool for use in the car.

I have my iPhone linked to my head unit in the car for music, and to the manufacturer hands free kit, too. When I am driving I can use Siri to dictate texts, initial calls (which route flawlessly to the car's hands free) and control my music (which seamlessly plays to the head unit). This last feature is particularly useful as I have my full library of over 1000 albums on my iPhone and the head unit integration is otherwise quite basic.

And sitting in a traffic jam yesterday I found my heart rate was elevated to 95 BPM...

4. susan12369 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't even look actually. I did look for a shark attack app, since I was on the Outer Banks... ;)

5. susan12369 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hm, I didn't think to check my heart rate while I was sitting for an hour in a traffic jam waiting to get onto the Outer Banks ;)