My experience with 2010 27" iMac SSD upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bacci, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Bacci macrumors newbie

Here's my upgrade experience to save others troubleshooting time:

Procedure: Adding a Samsung 830 SSD to a 11,3iMac (27" mid 2010) without replacing the DVD superdrive.

I went the OWC upgrade kit route.

After following the video instructions however, all fans in my iMac ran full rpm.
    Running AHT ("d" at startup) gave me error code 4SNS/1/C0000008:TS2P--124 which means skin (i.e. case) temperature malfunction on the logic board.
    Disconnecting the SSD eliminated the error, so I knew it was the SSD and not the sensor, connector or some discharge damage.

The solution was to swap the SATA connectors of the stock hard drive and the SSD on the logic board end, contrary to what the OWC video shows.

After doing this everything works perfectly without any need for fan control.

The procedure is imho not more difficult than replacing the superdrive with an SSD, so for those not going for a 3 hard drive setup I would recommend going this route instead of tossing out the superdrive.

2. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Nice work, I might give that a go after I get my imac back from repair.

3. EPiCDiNGO macrumors member

EPiCDiNGO

I really really hope in the next iMac they make the HDD upgrade easier than taking out the whole screen and messing with the fans ect . I do not want to pay the apple prices for SSD but it is essential that I could not go back to using a standard 7200rpm drive after using an SSD in my MacBook Pro for over 6 months :eek: