Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazedxar

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Bay Area, California
-Woke up this morning.
-Called nearest Radioshack.
-Had grey and silver in stock in my carrier.
-Had a nice walk in the Californian sun to the store.
-Walked out with a space grey 5s within 10 minutes.

10/10 experience

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
That is exactly what I did a couple days into launch on the iPhone5. Everyone sold out yet was able to walk right into Radio Shack and leave with the exact iPhone I wanted.

I was surprised.
(My only caveat: be aware Radio Shack will attempt to upsale you on add ons. Almost to the point where it appears to be necessary for the deal to be consummated. You kind of have to firmly hold your ground and simply repeat, "no thanks".)

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
I stood in line at the apple store in germantown,Tenn on LAUNCH day only to be told that because I didnt have an att contract I still couldnt buy a 5s off contract even at full price.Mind you I drove over an hour just to get there and I drove back to my hometown and got told the same thing by best buy only to walk around the corner on a last ditch effort and walk into radio shack and got sold a iphone with open arms.I wont be driving all the way to the apple store anymore instead ill be waiting in line at the radio shack 3 miles from my house GO RADIOSHACK!

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
That is exactly what I did a couple days into launch on the iPhone5. Everyone sold out yet was able to walk right into Radio Shack and leave with the exact iPhone I wanted.

I was surprised.
(My only caveat: be aware Radio Shack will attempt to upsale you on add ons. Almost to the point where it appears to be necessary for the deal to be consummated. You kind of have to firmly hold your ground and simply repeat, "no thanks".)

I'll assume you just happened to want space grey. #

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
My experience with buying iphone 5s

I'll assume you just happened to want space grey.

That is what I wanted, and that is what I walked out with in a verizon store, 3 days into the launch.

I think the space grey looks great. I had a silver iphone 5, but I like the black front, and the grey back looks superb as well.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I did the same thing last year with the iPhone 5. I had one on order, not due for a couple weeks, and they were no where to be found at stores. I was at the mall with my family and walked into a radio shack, they had the phone I wanted and I was out in about 1/2 an hour. It was great.

KamiQuazi

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
I stood in line at the apple store in germantown,Tenn on LAUNCH day only to be told that because I didnt have an att contract I still couldnt buy a 5s off contract even at full price.Mind you I drove over an hour just to get there and I drove back to my hometown and got told the same thing by best buy only to walk around the corner on a last ditch effort and walk into radio shack and got sold a iphone with open arms.I wont be driving all the way to the apple store anymore instead ill be waiting in line at the radio shack 3 miles from my house GO RADIOSHACK!

I'm not too far from you, N. Mississippi, and I went to BestBuy on launch day at 7:15 am and I was the 4th person there. Now they only had 16gb available so I went to AT&T and there was a 30 minute wait and I was able to secure 2 - 64gb 5S without a problem :) nice to know there are forum members within my area.
Hijack - there are always launch meet ups but never for the memphis area

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
I didn't have any luck in my home town, but I was planning to visit friends in a larger city about 180 miles away.

Called ahead (to an ATT Store), and against all odds they had one iPhone 5S 64GB - Space Grey in stock (exactly the one I wanted). I asked the guy to hold it and got to DFW in record time.

This was last Friday exactly one week after the 5S/C had gone on sale; I felt pretty lucky and felt like I got the last available one for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.