My experience with first jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Irock619, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I successfully jailbreaked my iPhone for the first time last night. When I opened cydia I thought "holly crap". I was royally confused and didn't know what to do lol. I was able to set up a theme with winterboard but thats it. I tried to change my lock screen and status bar but nothing was working. I downloaded some apps but they weren't showing up on my phone. I knew the apps were successfully downloaded because my memory was suddenly decreasing. I have the 16 GB model and didn't want to sacrifice memory for apps I couldn't use. After downloading I would hit the reload button in cydia but nothing happened. The only thing that I saw working was the winterboard theme I chose. However I tried to choose multiple themes in winterboard and it wasn't working.

I know this was probably user error. I was just immediately intimidated on the whole process of customizing the phone, and I was loosing memory fast. Maybe a 32 GB model or higher is better for jailbreaking.

From your experience, was your first time jailbreaking a bit overwhelming? Maybe I will try again after doing some more research on how to use cydia more efficiently.

Thanks for reading :)

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

You can't use multiple themes. It only lets you choose one. If you want to mix-and-match themes, you have to 'create' your own.

For the lockscreen, status bar, etc. I think those need to be enabled in Winterboard also.

I have no idea what types of apps you downloaded, but maybe if you post a name somebody here can tell you what it's supposed to do once downloaded. :confused:

My first time jailbreaking was a breeze. Although, that was on iOS 3.x, not the current one. And yeah, it's been a while since I've jailbroken an iPhone, so all this might not be current.

3. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

You are confused. RAM v. ROM. There is a standard 512 mb of RAM in all 4S models regardless of storage. 16, 32, and 64 GB models.

4. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

anything can be overwhelming if you don't know what you're doing. once you get an understanding it really is quite simple. like someone mentioned, names of apps you're trying to install would be helpful... if they are tweaks, a lot don't put an actual app on your homescreen. they work in the background and usually appear in settings if they can be customized.

and like the apple app store, cydia has a lot of crap mixed in with the gems... so its good to research something before you install it.

5. labman, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

labman macrumors 604

labman

IBradMac is correct start here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=983491 yes it says up to 4.3.3 but there is still a ton of usful info. also you will learn searching is a fastest way to get answers to most questions. if you are the type of person that just installs stuff for the heck of it jailbreaking is not for you. spend sometime learning about all the great tweaks and apps. Apple doesn't want to let you have.. Last enjoy your freedom!

6. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

I'm talking about how much space the programs uses. I downloaded a few apps and it seemed like I was loosing storage. I only have 5GB left due to music, movies, and pics.

7. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Yes, you can use multiple themes at once. You can mix weather portions of one with the springboard and lockscreen portion of another. It's difficult to mix and match, but it can be done.

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yeah, hence I said it's more like you 'creating' your own.

But, it might've changed since I last did it. :p

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Cydia apps and especially tweaks tend to be small in size that it doesn't matter the phone space. If you see it eating a lot of space it might be that you downloaded a ton of themes? I don't use winterboard so I can't attest to theme sizes. All this is based on you saying that is space and not RAM of course.