My experience with Retina 15" display replacement (image ghosting)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LeicaM2, Mar 29, 2013.

1. LeicaM2 macrumors newbie

Long time lurker, first time poster. September 2012: I finally decided to get rid of windows stuff and embrace apple with the Retina 15" (base model). What a fantastic laptop, best ever. Dramatic productivity improvement. Well, the screen was an LG and, besides being - here, again - the best ever, it started to ghost here and then in normal working conditions. Nothing really hurting me but thinking about the possible resale value, I decided to try the nearest Apple Store in Milan (base warranty, no Apple Care).

So they run the image retention test, which failed, nevertheless they agreed for a screen replacement (the computer was 6 month old). I booked a new appointment and asked to get a Samsung, if possible. I was told there was no chance to pre-assess the brand out of the box but yet they said that no complaints had been reported in case of retina screen replacements, since units are pre-checked. Got the screen changed in an hour and later in the day I went back to the store.

I realized the new screen was not an LG and the Genius guy confirmed. More brilliant (+), yellowish tint and less contrast (-), as reported in many threads. Back home, I was able to fix the color rendition and the crispness in two minutes via software. So basically after calibration is like the previous LG yet with 2 point of lux more. So far no image ghosting, no dead pixels, no defects, just perfect.

Still, to my surprise, the real big point is battery. I had been able to get max 2.45-3.00 hrs in normal usage (dedicated graphics card on). With the replacement done, I'm getting 4.00 hrs with same kind of tasks and visual screen lightning (and dedicated graphic card on), battery health at 95% accordingly to iStatPro. I red something similar in an old thread and I can just confirm that Samsung is much more battery friendly.

Anybody there with similar outcomes?

Cheers

P.S.: the bill showed a 500 EUR job, I'm afraid I'm going to pay the Apple Care tax before the 1 yr warranty expires.... (bought the laptop as a company thus the EU law of 2 yrs warranty isn't applicable in my case unfortunately)!

2. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

What software did you use for the calibration? I have not taken official times on the battery of my Samsung rMBP but sounds about right.

3. macalec macrumors 6502

Very interesting! I am glad you have a much better system now!