My experience with rMBP 15 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lebbeus, Dec 2, 2012.

1. lebbeus macrumors newbie

Just thought I’d write a message about my experience with the retina 15inch.

Obviously these forums are largely for problem solving but after spending a month on here and also on the Apple discussion forums I think diligent 1st time buyers you can really form a warped impression of the products.

I’ve used powerbooks and macbook pros for the last 9 years and generally keep a machine for about 4-5, so when I get a new one it’s a big deal. I read about the early adopter display issues and returned 2 units before I got a Samsung screen (2.3 16gig). I’d add that I never experienced IR but simply wanted peace of mind when spending so much money.

Switching from a Snow Leopard Albook from 2008 I just wanted to say that this computer is such a massive step up on so many fronts. The screen looks BEAUTIFUL. The enclosure is so thin+light and I love the fact that the (for me new) unibody is now devoid of seams that generally separate over time. And this thing is fast. I’ve barely seen a beach ball and when i stress tested it I had 4 HD movies playing, Logic with 250 tracks playing, encoding video in iMovie and every application running at once with barely a stutter switching between screens and using expose/mission control. For me more power would really be total overkill at this point.

The speakers noticeably sound fuller and touch pad is much improved too. I especially like the new gestures and fullscreen mode. When on power squeezing mode using integrated graphics only, WIFI, ‘brightness slider’ app if needs be I can ekk out about 8-9 hours of web browsing and music listening time at night (I’m an owl). If i had to fault it I’d say I preferred the deeper aluminum keyboard and the magsafe 2 comes out a bit too easily.

I totally understand peoples frustrations with issues when they’ve spent so much money but I just felt like writing this as I’m sitting on the best computer I’ve ever used in my life and it’s a thing of beauty. I just thought i’d speak up to the 1st time buyers that lurk with the story that doesn’t get aired here so often.

2. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

Funny - my impression is just the opposite. Coming from a 2011 MBA, i find that the Magsafe 2 magnets are actually a tad too strong, which makes it a little bothersome to unplug power (at least compared to the MBA).

3. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Totally agree. My rMPB is the best computer I've ever owned. My 24 inch 720p monitor looks like crap, not only resolution wise but color wise too. Everything just looks better.

Also it has one of the fastest processors available. And not to mention the SSD.

4. zjazz macrumors 6502

Instead of pulling it out/away turn connector either up or down (up is easier for me) and magnets will stop being that strong and it will come out instantly.

5. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Yep, what he said. Pull it downward or upward and it will come out really easily.

6. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

Hehe, I am in the 'too weak' category. Not complaining though. Power ports are one of the first things to go on poorly made mobile devices, and magsafe is a total blessing.

7. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Here's my experience - I went from a mid 2007 MacBook Pro to a rMBP in June. I have been very pleased with the performance and delighted with the retina display. Initially, I didn't notice any image retention on my LG display. However, my machine was very unstable and crashed or hung every few days.

After a couple of months, I started to see very significant IR and started thinking about the right time to bring it in for service. Frequent travel made me hold off for a while. In the meantime, the system crashes and hangs seem to have gone away - I guess because of software updates.

I finally brought it to an Apple store for service on Friday. The genius saw the IR on my display and was happy to arrange for the display to be replaced. I should have it back early this week, hopefully with a Samsung display.

8. lreinstein45 macrumors newbie

Which rMBP to buy or wait?

I am on the fence and would appreciate any advice since I tend to drive myself and my wife nuts making these decisions.

I own a 6 year old 15 inch MBP and am ready to change. It has 4GB RAM and an upgraded 640GB HDD. I use it for everything, including as a Music Server for my HiFi system ... I connect to SqueezeBox and store most of my music in Lossless format.

I want to change because, though it does the job, it does get bogged down with all of its RAM being used, and slow.

I think about downsizing to the 13 inch rMBP and springing for the 768GB SSD. I do some traveling and it would be nice ... though not vital to be able to carry it more easily.

My questions:

1. Is the 13 inch laptop comfortable for couch surfing. I basically do all of my work, emails, web surfing, etc while on the sofa with my feet up. Does it physically feel comfortable in this position. Would the 15 inch be better or worse?

2. Is the screen size adequate for this kind of work? My eyesight is OK but not super, I either read without glasses or using my trifocals. Is this a reason to go for the 15 inch?

3. Should I wait? Is it likely that a new improved 13 inch rMBP is on the horizon with faster processor and 16GB RAM option. Is the 8GB sufficient so this is not important?

I should point out that I do not play videogames on this laptop.

Thanks

Larry