My experience with speck hardshell laptop case.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WickedPuddin, Jul 23, 2011.

1. WickedPuddin macrumors member

With my first MB 13' aluminum (this was the first generation where they didn't name it the MBP) I decided to get the speck satin red case. This case was fantastic and really fit the computer. Although the top lid was somewhat hard to take off, I knew the fit was perfect. Now I got my brand new MBP 13' and so I thought I would get the see thru case (the one with no color.) When I received this and put it on, i noticed that it didn't fit as well as it did on my other macbook, noticeably on the top. It seemed that there was a least 1/4 of an inch from the actual macbook and the case. So I emailed speck and they had great tech support. And now I'm here today, about two weeks later with my replacement, but the problem is still there. The case is just not as closely fit as the older one. It's to the point where when I open the lit of the MBP, the top case can come off (only the top of the lid.) Im starting to think that they made it more loose on purpose and I can't bother to email them for another replacement. If something happens to my computer, such as a scratch because of the case, I'll be sure to email them about it.

2. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

3. WickedPuddin thread starter macrumors member

Because I've already done it once and I don't want to go through the process and besides, you have to pay for the shipping to the company...

4. Minhthien macrumors 6502

Did you order the same color? Maybe try to order a different unit? I am planning to order the Fitted Black and White Stripe it looks really nice!

5. WickedPuddin thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I decided to contact them, not asking for an replacement, but asking if there is anything I can do. Ill keep this updated.

6. Minhthien macrumors 6502

The second one did not fit too right? Was the second case same color as the first case? They got clear, satin and fitted! Which one did you order?

7. CrazyFreak macrumors newbie

I got the speck black satin for my MBP 15" and it fits perfectly, had it for one month now and taken it off once to clean. I've actually did a bit of research and found that the speck one wasn't as good as the incase case but when I was at the apple store they didn't have any incase one and told me to try it and if I didn't like it to go back an refund it.

8. WickedPuddin thread starter macrumors member

Exact same clear model. Hears a link on the official website if your interested:

http://tinyurl.com/speckclear

9. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Incase makes a dam good case. Never disappointed.

10. Minhthien macrumors 6502

Even the Perforated Hardshell case good too? I think the little holes collect dust and will ruin your macbook!

11. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I'm pretty sure my speck case actually caused a scratch on the bottom on my MBP due to bad machining on the case but without it, there'd be plenty of dents with the amount of abuse it endures. It's a win loss experience :eek:

12. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Man, that's a bummer.

I have a Speck case on two diff laptops and never had a problem with either one.

13. satchow macrumors 6502

That's what I have. I like it because you can't see dust and dirt get in it until you take it off unlike other cases. Once you get it off though, you can just wipe it down with a damp towel and it's as good as new.

14. randomrazr macrumors 65816

lol when i opened this thread, there was a invisible shield ad on the top saying scratch proof ur macbook lol

15. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I have a black satin case on my 17" early 2011 mbp and it fits about perfect.

16. WickedPuddin thread starter macrumors member

Ok so I emailed them and they reply... This time customer support wasn't as good as last time. They emailed me back saying that their case only support the macbook pro with black keys, even though I clearly stated that I was using the new 13' macbook pro. Apparently, they think I might have gotten a counterfeit copy because they found some on email. ALSO I clearly stated in the email that I originally bought from apple.com and got a replacement directly from them. I'm starting to wonder if the lady that responded to my email actually read my email.... I emailed back asking if I send my case again to them (paying for shipping AGAIN) then can I chose a different color or from the satin models because I have had success from the line of models.

Ill keep it updated.

17. WickedPuddin thread starter macrumors member

Quick response this time, good good:

Sure mail it back for any style!
    To get your warranty replacement, follow the simple steps below:

Ship or mail us the case, and include a copy of your receipt to establish proof of purchase. No need to send back the packaging—that’s yours to keep. (Do with it what you will.) Also make sure to include your return mailing address, email address, and your top two color choices in case your first choice is out of stock.

We’ll email you back with a Sales Order Number once we have received your original case. Keep that number for your reference, and allow 3-5 days for delivery.

Mail to:
    Speck Products/Warranty Replacements
    212 Homer Avenue Suite 100
    Palo Alto, CA 94301

You’ll need to take care of the shipping costs for sending back your case. Speck’ll pay the FedEx costs for shipping your replacement. We recommend you ship by a traceable method. Speck can’t be responsible for lost or missing packages.

We hate to sound so dramatic, but it's come to our attention that counterfeit (fake!!) Speck cases are being manufactured and sold online. In a way, we're almost flattered that we're being imitated, but mostly we just wanted to warn you so you don't get ripped off.

Specifically, we'd advise you to steer clear of any Speck products sold on eBay (which is a restricted channel for Speck, meaning that reselling our products there is not authorized) and cases sold thru the Amazon Marketplace (unless the seller is Amazon LLC--there are lots of real Speck cases sold directly thru Amazon.com) While Amazon and eBay are great, reputable sites that we love, there are a handful of not-so-reputable sellers that are selling fake stuff. So be careful, and don't get fooled.

And keep in mind that our awesome 1-year warranty is NOT applicable for counterfeit products! If you send us a broken fake, we can't replace it, and obviously can't be responsible.

To be on the safe side, it's best to buy your Speck stuff from our website (speckproducts.com), or from an authorized reseller like Apple, Target, Best Buy, or Amazon.com.

Thanks for your interest in Speck!

18. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

ah that is some crap you need proof of purchase?
    I bought mine from apple with case and have fitment issues. I just didn't think I would ever have to prove I bought a case.

19. WickedPuddin thread starter macrumors member

When I returned it for the first time, all i did was take a screenshot of the email apple sent me when they shipped the case.