My experience with the RMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeutie, Jun 19, 2012.

1. jeutie, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

jeutie macrumors member

jeutie

So I've sold my 2010 Macbook Pro in favor of a new 2012 Macbook Pro with retina display. As I see there are many people hesitant on making the purchase, I'd like to share my experiences with it as I go along. Also, feel free to ask questions, I'll try to answer most of them.

--- 19/06/2012 ---
    First thing I'd like to go on about is its form factor. When I took it out of the box, it seemed so little! (Definitely an improvement.) When I lifted it though, it wasn't as light as I've expected. Surely it is a tad lighter than my previous model, but by no means is it as light as the air. The new MagSafe isn't that bad. Surely it is different, and I liked the L sized previous model, but when someone trips over the cord the T will simply be better. The overall quality is superb as always with MacBooks, it doesn't feel fragile at all.

I booted it up and went straight ahead to the software updates. Surely, over a gigabyte of updates were available. After installing all that and rebooting, I configured everything according to my needs. The first thing I noticed was the absolute lovely screen! The text is so crisp, a definite improvement on my previous model. (I spend most my time reading, it'll surely come in handy.)

So I started Safari and was a little anxious. I read that many people complained about lag whilst scrolling, I have to say I haven't experienced anything like that. Scrolling is butter smooth like always. I did notice however that on some websites with low quality pictures, it looks worse than before! Well, more than likely it looks the same, but if all text on a website looks superb, "crappy" images suddenly look a lot worse.

As I was typing some e-mails, I noticed the different keyboard. It surely is a lot lighter to the touch than before. I don't quite like this but it might need some getting used to. I guess this comes down to personal preference.

Temperature-wise, as I'm browsing the web and downloading Diablo III (Guess what I'll be testing out next.) the CPU sits at 40°C and the GPU at 50°C. Quite a bit cooler than my previous model, and it seems that the heat is distributed in a different way. The whole body is warm to the touch but there is no single spot that is hotter than another. Whilst checking the temperature I noticed that the battery already went through 4 cycles. I guess Apple wanted to have it fully charged before it got to me.

Playing Diablo III was quite amusing. The quality of graphics is superb. Do note I haven't touched any resolution settings yet, not in my system settings nor in Diablo. The resolution I've been playing at was 1440x900 and my FPS jumped between 50 and 60 whilst in combat. (Quite good if you ask me.) I was playing on battery and it drained quite quickly, I guess the 650M isn't that power efficient? But there was no lag and the FPS was very decent. The temperature rose though, with the GPU hitting 70°C after about 10 minutes. I was surprised by the noise level of the fans though, I noticed that they kicked in, but they weren't as "in your face" as in my previous Macbook Pro. All by all I'm very satisfied that I'll be able to do some light gaming whilst on the go. I'm also downloading World of Warcraft, which to my knowledge isn't "retina optimized" so we'll see as that goes.

--- edit 1 ---
    World of Warcraft seems to be heavier than Diablo, with the resolution still at 1440x900 and the graphics set to Ultra, I couldn't get more than 30FPS in Orgrimmar and when in the heavily populated areas, the frame rate dropped way below that. When I set the graphics to High the FPS got steady at 60, which is a vast improvement. I quickly jumped into the Random Raid Finder and whilst on Deathwing's back the FPS did not go below 50, which is great. The temperature didn't go above 65°C for the GPU and the fans were pretty quiet at 4000rpm. - I'll play around with the resolution of both the system settings, Diablo and World of Warcraft tomorrow to see how it impacts things.

I love electronic music, when I heard the speakers were better than before, I was quite excited. As a reference, I've used this track to test the speakers. Sadly, it still lacks some serious bass, but other than that, the sound is absolutely great. My mother likes Adele and Birdy, when playing this song, the speakers really amazed me. They can't match the built-in speakers on the iMac though. I dare to say the speakers are one of the best I've heard in many laptops. Never the less, thanks to the mini toslink plug and airplay, I'll still be enjoying my music.

There it goes! Battery ran out. My gosh! Did those 7 hours pass already? No, not really. But I have to admit I've been playing some Diablo and World of Warcraft as well as having both the screen and key illumination brightness set at 100%. Recharging now, will do some serious testing on the battery tomorrow. It seems as it takes about a hour and a half for the battery to fully recharge.

Whilst recharging the battery I decreased my screen brightness. Welcome glare! Whilst the glare is barely noticeable at 50% brightness, when going below that the glare becomes apparent. For me this is only a slight annoyance ever since I had the same glare well above 50% brightness on my old MBP. Less layers of glass on the screen really help it appears.

The battery is fully charged, it took little over a hour and a half for it to get charged. I'm off to bed now. I wonder how much of the battery will be left when I wake up tomorrow morning. - Please put any questions below, I'll try to answer them ASAP!

--- 20/06/2012 ---

When I woke up this morning I immediately checked my Macbook. (Bad habit, I know.) I quite miss the sleep and battery indicator lights. I had to open the Macbook in order to see the battery levels. I was pleasantly surprised. With the brightness set to the second lowest level, and the machine at idle, it sat at 99% (After 12 hours of sleep.) The remaining battery life? 11 hours (Yes, eleven.) and a couple minutes. I know that I shouldn't trust these statistics, but still! The Apple site indicates that under low load and brightness set to 50%, the machine will run 7 hours, alas, the 11 hours seem plausible.

The screen was dusty already, so that hasn't changed. The keys are also still easily smudged. (Or I'm just too OCD with new products.) The brightness, when set at maximum is not as bright as the previous model. However, it'll still hurt my eyes when looking at it for a long period of time. (Alas the brightness is good, lol.)

--- edit 1 ---

As I said, I was too excited for the battery. When browsing with a couple tabs open and the brightness upped to the third lowest, the battery jumped to 98% and displays 7 hours 45 minutes remaining. Not as good as the 11 hours I saw before, but, this would be accurate with what Apple said.

I did promise to play around with the resolution settings today, and that is exactly what I did. First, in the system settings I was greeted by this slider. Different scaling options, I guess for different needs. The lowest mode, 1024x640, looks plain ugly. (Just like it did on any other monitor by the way.) Everything is way too big! No way I could work like this, so I kicked it up a notch, 1280x800 is usable, but it would be a waste. The default, 1440x900 looks superb. I do not need any more screen real-estate, by thus this resolution suits my well.

My previous Macbook however, ran at 1680x1050 and the Retina Macbook Pro can do the same. So indeed everything gets a little tinier and there's more screen real-estate. There was no lag at all and I didn't notice an increase of processing power, heat or fan speed. Pretty decent for the people in need of a higher resolution I guess. The highest option, 1920x1200 looked way too tiny for me. (I have bad eyesight though.) I also noticed that there was a slight increase of processing power and the bottom of the device got a little warmer. Scrolling through Safari was still smooth, but not as butter smooth as I've experienced before. I dare to say 1920x1200 isn't really optimal to use.

Moving on I started Diablo 3. With the default resolution at 1440x900, it ran at a solid 50FPS whilst going into the 60's at times. So I - again - upped the resolution to 1680x1050 and the FPS dropped to anything between 30 and 40. Still playable, but not as good as before. Playing at 1920x1200 had the same results, but it didn't look as good anymore. It's hard to describe. When I upped the resolution to the maximum (2880x1800) the game looked amazing. Never before have I seen anything like it! But the frames dropped even deeper jumping between 10 and 20FPS and that, for me at least, is not playable anymore. Without a doubt the default resolution at 1440x900 is the best and by no means does it look bad. 2880x1800 looks incredible, but unless you like to play at about 10FPS, it simply won't work. Do keep in mind that all of the above is using the Mac clients, which don't always run as good as the Windows clients. I've seen Battlefield 3 via Bootcamp and it looks superb and very playable.

edit 2

I came home and decided to install iWork and some drivers for my printer so I have everything I need installed. DOH! I don't have a disc drive. No worries, I'll just boot up this old Windows machine and enable disc sharing. Even on my Dell U2711 monitor I suddenly noticed the pixels! What a struggle to get the disc to work. (Though I'm sure that the issues were caused by the Windows machine.) Once iWork was installed I moved on to the printer drivers. An even bigger PITA. Seems like the Retina Macbook Pro are running on a modified version of OS X Lion and by thus, it was not supported. Luckily, after some tinkering, I got it all to work. After some mild usage throughout the day I still have 6 hours of battery left. I went ahead and did the final step of personalization, adding some wallpapers. The retina wallpapers I found are gorgeous, but damn they are big! (5MB+ per wallpaper.) I guess quality has it's size.

Another thing I've noticed is that the Macbook doesn't get as hot when placed on my bed. (Bad habit.) This is due to the vents being off to the side now rather than on the bottom(ish). Now I don't have to be scared of frying this thing when I'm feeling lazy.

When I read about the device being able to run 3 additional screens I just had to test it out. I have both a 24 inch and 27 inch monitor connected through mini-displayport to display port adapters and my 42 inch television connected via HDMI. I was able to play back video on ALL monitors without any lag and it seems like the device had no issues with it at all. (Not that I'd EVER need all of this, it was nice to test out.)

Happy to say that my battery lasted little over 8 hours whilst browsing the web with numerous tabs open. Great! So I plugged it in and started playing some Diablo 3. When I got done, I noticed my battery almost did not charge! Odd. When I checked my battery health, it's only at 99% (Only 6 cycles!) I hope it does not go to 98% in such a quick manner. The biggest bummer however was that there's already a very tiny - nearly invisible, but certainly tangible.) piece off the lower screen. I know that it was not there on arrival but still! Ever since it's not really visible to the eye, I hope it'll stay like that. Currently just watching some vids and browsing the web whilst the battery charges and that'll be the end of the day for me.

--- end ---

The text above will be updated as I go. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll try to answer / test as much as possible. There are numerous people also sharing their experiences down below, so be sure to scroll through!

2. darthmental macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info....I'm waiting for mine to come, and I've been going back and forth whether or not I want to keep it.

3. soundtracker macrumors member

Wow, thanks for the detailed info. Especially interested in the different feel of the keyboard, sounds like I might like the feel better (lets hope)!

4. optics261 macrumors newbie

this is great, keep it up. I'm curious about your impressions as a 2010 owner myself.

5. aliennerd macrumors member

I'll add my first thoughts if you don't object, seems silly to start yet another thread.

Usual gorgeous Apple packaging, nothing new there. Still shocked by how thin it is, but then I am coming from a MacBook Core 2 Duo. Screen is superb but looks frighteningly vulnerable.

There was 76% battery charge when I first turned it on. Several updates were immediately available including a firmware update for the trackpad.

After installing these updates and no other software there was 229 GB available on the 256 GB SSD.

I ran Geekbench and got a score of 11013. The speakers are fine but lack bass as to be expected, nothing special.

Dirt 2 seems playable at 2880 x 1800 as I posted in another thread. Safari doesn't scroll quite as smoothly as I was expecting but it's not as bad as some have suggested.

6. The "Dude" macrumors regular

Were you using iStat Menus to check the temperatures? If so does it appear to be recognizing all the diagnostic sensors on the Retina?

Also, what kind of fps would you get on Diablo at 1920x1200? I think that'd be the sweet spot of performance vs. graphics quality.

7. jeutie thread starter macrumors member

jeutie

No problem! Mine arrived just today. I ordered right after the keynote. (I live in Belgium by the way.) The UPS tracking, for once, was accurate and the truck was at my door at 2PM. I'm playing around with it, but haven't found any downsides yet. Though, without a restocking fee and a 14 day return policy, I didn't hesitate at all. I'm quite positive that you'll enjoy your purchase.
    I already got used to it to be honest. I, myself prefer having to press a little harder. But if you prefer lighter keys, I'm quite sure you'll like it.
    I'll try! Do you have anything specific you'd like to know about.
    Feel free to post your own findings! The more the merrier. - The thin screen is indeed remarkable. When I saw iFixit's latest findings, I couldn't believe it! - After installing all updates, Diablo 3, World of Warcraft and a couple more little applications as well as syncing my contacts and agenda, I still have 200GB left. I don't think I'll be installing a lot more applications, so I'm glad I didn't go for the higher tier SSD. - I got similar results on Geekbench, but I don't really trust benchmarks, I have to test the device myself. - I like electronic music, by thus, I want some bass. Indeed the speakers lack bass, but, they are one of the better speakers I've found in notebooks. The toslink mini plug blasts everything to my speaker system though, and with airplay, that's not an issue at all. I'll add my findings on the speakers to the first post, thanks for the idea! - I'm not planning on installing bootcamp, by thus, I can't quite test Dirt 2, but I'm quite surprised that Safari doesn't scroll smoothly. I haven't noticed anything like that yet, but perhaps I have to visit some heavier sites. :p
    iStat Pro in my dashboard. (Click) It does recognize all the sensors as far as I can see. As for the resolution, I'll be playing around with that tomorrow. Keeping it at the default 1440x900 for today. ;)

8. Uplift macrumors 6502

Good read, also moving from a 2010MBP, still waiting for delivery :(

I agree about the magsafe, the old design was flawed, i almost crashed my mbp to the floor after catching the cable on my foot and pulled, due to the angle i was at the cable locked tight and managed to pull the laptop.

I believe this will eliminate that.

9. Croneberg macrumors newbie

Thank you for the really good post and just keep updating it. I'm really keen on some usefull information on the RMBP. I'm just one step away from ordering one myself. The only thing holding me back is, that I really want to take a look at one with my own eyes. But here in Austria there is not one single store with a display model and they couldn't even say when they will be receiving some...

What I am really interested in is the thing with the scaling of non retina apps, since I have the complete Creative Suite 5.5 and do not want to upgrade. I know it's been discussed in almost every thread around here but the opinions seem to be very different depending on the user and the expectations. Guess I'll wait for a display model...

So thank you once again for the good read and keep the updates coming. ;)

10. jeutie, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

jeutie thread starter macrumors member

jeutie

I tested it, and it did eliminate the issue. From whichever angle you pull (With force.) the MagSafe snaps out with ease. Though I noticed I have to pull a little harder if I actually want to pull it out. (Guess it's using better magnets?) I hope yours will be delivered soon. :)
    I feel your pain. There are no Apple Stores here in Belgium either, closest one being 4 hours away. The few Apple Resellers that are around are waiting on their models themselves, and they usually get them later than the actual customers do. With the 14 day return policy and the no restocking fee, the easiest way to try it out is to actually order the device and test it out. (Though it's a tad scary to do so, I have to admit.) Scaling of non-retina apps seems to go fabulous. It just doubles the pixels, you see the exact same. I do not have photoshop or the likes, so I can't test that, but with all other apps I've tried, the scaling works swell. Everything looks like it did on the previous models if not retina optimized. (Which doesn't look bad, but it certainly isn't as beautiful.) I did hear of a few cases, Google Chrome for example, that had issues with it and looked fuzzy. A swift nightly build solved the issue though. To add to that, here's a post explaining why that happens. - Please do not let display models influence your decision as I've read that many of the display models do not have the newest software updates installed resulting in sluggish behavior. -

11. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I'll take it. :D

12. eba macrumors regular

I'm trying to get my mind around this issue as well. Do the pictures really look worse than before? Or just worse by comparison?

May be asking too much of you, but I would appreciate your impressions. Thanks.

13. jeutie, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

jeutie

The pictures look exactly the same as they did on the previous model. Thanks to Apple's "magic" pixel doubling, there really is no difference unless you magnify things. That being said, the images look crappier. (To me at least.) Why? Well everything else is so crisp! Though, for example, Mac Rumors looks superb. It's hard to explain.

Some apps will look a bit bad, as explained earlier, but that should be fixed. As far as imagery goes, it looks the same. But, we are human and by thus, our eyes see different qualities and one suddenly looks a lot better / worse than another.

TLDR; It only looks worse by comparison, at least for me.

As requested I've added my findings on the different resolutions. :)

14. darthmental macrumors newbie

Lol, well if I decide not to take it, I'll send it to ya ;)

15. BruceiD macrumors member

Hey!
    I'm from Belgium also but I'll type this in English rather then writing in Dutch because nobody will have a clue what I'm talking about lol.

So I have some questions:
    -How did the shipping to Belgium go? (I've never got anything shipped, always bought at easy-M or Fnac)
    -What's the deal with guaranty when ordering online? 2 years? What to do she, broken?
    -Is the retina display with the 2880x1800 resolution worth spending the money? This question is rather important for me because I'm not really willing to spend extra money for something that's even worth it that much
    -Do you recommend it to someone who's going to university or is a 13" laptop better?
    -And at last: How did you sell your Macbook 2010 :)?

Thanks in advance and thanks for the "review"! :D

16. Pared3s macrumors regular

One interesting thing on the packaging is that they changed it from the box with a handle to a more iPad-like packaging design.

17. Slivortal macrumors 6502

For those of you who are posting your experiences, what models are you using?

18. jeutie thread starter macrumors member

jeutie

The shipping to Belgium went through UPS. You get a receipt and you can track your package via the UPS' website. It seems as they come straight from the factory somewhere in China. Once the device is shipped it'll more than likely arrive within 5 business days. Guaranty in Belgium is 2 years. It covers all damage except accidental damage, I think. If you, for some reason, need to ship it back in order to have it replaced and or returned you have to call Apple and they'll arrange an UPS truck to come pick up your device.

Is the Retina Display worth it? Well, it depends on what you use it for. I spend a lot of time on the web reading stuff, and by all means is it a big update. You also have to take in consideration that the RMBP is cheaper than a "legacy" MBP if you give it the same specifications.

Would I recommend it? Well, I don't know about Belgian universities but do you have to deal with a lot of text? If your books are already digitalized and you don't mind the 15 inch form factor, it'll be worth it and I'd recommend it. ;) If portability and form factor is a big deal to you, I'd recommend the 13 inch air instead. (But a screen like the Retina screen is hard to beat though.)

Last but not least I sold my Macbook via 2dehands.be Still got 1,000€ for it and it had slight wear as well as a mediocre battery. (Pretty happy. :p) The buyer came pick it up and tested it out.
    I did notice the different packaging. I guess it's also more environment-friendly, but I can't say for sure. Any Apple device I unbox is a pleasant experience though.
    Mine is the base model. :)

19. araey macrumors newbie

I received my Retina MBP yesterday. Here are the specs:
    2.7 Ghz i7
    16 GB RAM
    512?GB Flash HD

Have to say my experience testing it out was very different from the OP. Very possible we have different models though.

Here is what i saw/tested:

Display settings:
    I went through all of the display settings and personally found that the 1920 x 1440 looked the best. It made me feel like i had my 17" MBP again from a couple of years ago. I had been working on a 15" 2011 MPB with hi-res and the 1920 x 1440 experience was so much better imo.

In regard to difference between screen crispness on different settings, to tell you the truth i couldn't really see a difference. Then again i had been starting at a 27" monitor for 9 hours straight so my eyes were tired.

Display:
    The Retina display is good. But without Apple's artificial store lighting it looked less impressive. Don't get me wrong, i love it but it was no where near as such a stark difference comparing it to my old MBP like it was when i compared my iPad3 to the original iPad or a 3GS to the iPhone 4.

I love it and i have no complaints about the retina etc i just thought i would have been wow'd by it more. (Remember tired eyes probably had something to do with it).

However one massive downer was that the screen brightness on the RMBP was 20% dimmer then last gen MBP when both were set at 100% brightness. I have seen a lot of people talking bout this on different forums. It personally bugs me. I feel that the colours though calibrated in the best way for digital editing, is not calibrated perfectly to the users' experience. For example, colours, whites look duller. Though this makes sense for graphic design because it reflects a better perception of what true printing colour is, its not the most enjoyable experience when using the RMBP for other taste such as reading, gaming or anything else.

I tried WoW out (ill get to performance later) and the first thing i noticed was that the colours were much darker, and some were slightly more faded out. However though they were darker the majority of the colours were riches and this is where the display is strongest. The blacks are blockers and colours in general are richer, but without that extra brightness from the display they don't come alive as much if that makes sense.

However i can live with the brightness and ill get used to it. The display in every other aspect if phenomenal.

Heat:
    Fans didn't even turn on during my test of WoW. They only started humming when i got into some serious business with Diablo III. And guess what, they were flawlessly keeping heat dispensation proper. note: the RMBP never got hot. It only got slightly warm and as the OP stated, it dispersed evenly throughout the machine, no specific hot spots that burn a patch of your leg.

Fans were definitely quieter then last ten MBP but still got quite loud when i was pushing the GPU.

WoW:
    I tried every single resolution setting out with my RMBP display set at 1920 x 1440. Funnily enough the 2058x1150? resolution played the best for what i wanted. Ultra settings and about 45-50 FPS constant. However i felt that the screen was slightly too blurry for my liking so i upped the res in wow to 2880 and i still ran the game on high-ultra at about 45 fps constant.

I tried 1440 res and as other reviews have shown it worked very well giving me 72fps constant on ultra settings. No real blur but the it just wasn't as sharp as i wanted it to be. In the end i stayed with max res in game and on the RMBP with high to ultra settings. 45 FPS is enough for me and if i raid ill just lower the res for optimal FPS gains if/when needed.

Regardless the machine runs wow like a champ and its a great gaming machine for serious raiders or casual gamers. Definitely the best mac at the moment for gaming no doubt.

Diablo III:
    Well the mac issues in D3 did not seem to affect the RMBP. I played the game on high -ultra settings with max resolution. I honestly could not tell the difference. I don't know what people are making such a big deal about it being the ultimate viewing experience. I didn't really notice any difference. Maybe I'm turning blind from starting at a giant monitor every day for 9 hours straight lol.

I didn't check the FPS but it was smooth,no stuttering, definitely higher then what the OP gave. I would say probably around 30 FPS constant on the settings i listed above. If i dropped the screen res down in game to 2058 it got what i preferred. Seemed to be running anywhere between 40-60 FPS constant. So a very different experience then what the OP had so I'm assuming its due to the difference in our models?

If thats the case, then the top tier model RMBP is what you would want for both graphic heavy work like photoshop and after effects and decent gaming if your into that sort of thing.

Restart:
    Happened in seconds i was tuning out like i usually do for my 2011 MBP as a habit and i was woken from my stupor by my RMBP being ready to go. I was a shocked in a good way.

I agree with the OP that i miss the batter and sleep buttons. Mainly because i like lights!

Launchpad:
    On my 2011 MBP which was a top tier model for work, launchpad slowly began to come to a crawl as more stuff went on my HDD.

Spinning wheel of death was and still is at work something i must live with.

On the RMBP any stutter or memory bottling is pretty much gone. There is a slight stutter when you switch to a different app screen but otherwise flawlessly smooth which I'm very happy about. I hate launch pad though, and i wish they would stop trying to merge iOS and OSX. (different topic and I digress).

Sound:
    When Apple said this was the best speaker set they had put in any desktop or notebook ever....well they lied. Don't get me wrong, its definitely the best they have ever put in their notebooks and its disgustingly loud at 100% max volume but it has nothing on the 2009 27" iMac and i bet nothing over the newer models. Sorry Apple but your statement is just not true.

Not a complaint though, the speakers are fantastic and you can be obnoxious as you want with your barry white or n'sync when your family is around...

I think thats about it for my experiences.

Final thought:

OMG I LOVE 16 GB OF RAM!!!!

20. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

How is the uniformity of the screen? Any lighter, darker, differently colored regions?

I saw a little bit of a pink stripe on one in the store, but the other 2 seemed pretty even.

21. jeutie thread starter macrumors member

jeutie

The difference in RAM and processor speed shouldn't be high enough for our different findings, I think. But perhaps it is because I did most if not all of my tests on battery. ;)
    The different resolutions don't affect the crispness at all. I have the same feeling. My bad eyesight prevents me from using 1920x1440 on a notebook though. If I wear my glasses, it is usable. :p
    So true! The display is nice, but it is nowhere as big as a difference than I experienced with the iPhone and iPad comparisons. Although I think the smaller the screen the more noticeable it'll get.
    Indeed. Using the RMBP in a room that isn't as well lit with low brightness is a pain. I didn't get annoyed with the display being less bright at 100% brightness, but using it at, lets say 1 bar is almost impossible, for me. It starts getting comfortable at 4 bars though. The color difference is a fact as well. It'll be better for some, but worse for others. Myself, I don't really mind though.
    The not extremely hot but just warm bottom of the device will come in handy in the cold winters though. ;)
    I guess I'll have to plug it in and start testing again cause those statistics are indeed much different than what I had! It does however make for a great raiders laptop, but only when a good mouse is plugged in though. Can't stand playing Diablo with the trackpad.
    I'm quite clueless on how you got such a better performance. Maybe there is a bigger difference between our models than I would've guessed. Never the less the top tier model will indeed be better for a combination of things. :)
    The restarts are indeed magnificent. The SSD really comes into play here, and I guess SATA3 as well. It's no longer a chore to reboot now. :)
    Having the lights are a convenience and you get used to them so quickly, it is a shame having them gone. But I guess they aren't really needed. (Perhaps they'll return in a future line update. ^^)
    Apple should indeed have worded it differently. It is by far the best speaker that they've put in a notebook, but it just cannot compete with the iMac. Then again, the iMac is a lot bigger so there's more room.
    Thank you so much for sharing them! :)
    I haven't noticed any differences in the screen. Everything is pretty uniform. (It is a little less bright than the previous models though.) As far as yellow tints or stripes go, I haven't seen any. (Used my magnifying glass as well.)

22. jeopardy2311 macrumors regular

Thanks a lot to the OP and araey for their detailed posts about the Retina MBP. Please keep us updated with any new findings.. I still have a long long wait.. (20 July!!...)

23. jeutie, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

jeutie

It'll be here sooner than you think. ;)

Just hooked up my 24 inch & 27 inch monitor as well as my 42 inch television to the device and my gosh it has no problem with it at all!

24. jeopardy2311 macrumors regular

I hope so...

25. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

1080p is old hat now on TV's we need 4k TV's to show this thing off!