My experience with the signal dropping issue...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by upsguy27, Jun 30, 2010.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

So, I got my iPhone 4 yesterday, and immediately noticed that mine had the issue where if you touched the left corner the bars would drop all the way. However, now I've discovered that I'm also getting horrible horrible horrible reception no matter what. If I even hold the phone at all, no matter what way, it's painfully slow to do anything internet-wise. If I put it on a table and use it, it's quite fast and normal. What the hell. I made a table for the curious. "Holding" means holding it while avoiding the whole left side of the device. "Not holding" means it resting in the dock or on a table. Is this a big problem? Does anyone else have it this bad?

Attached Files:

2. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

3. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

I cannot use the 3G functionality of my iPhone 4 is I hold the device in my left hand in the same manner that I've held every previous iPhone and all iPod touches. I can use it with Wi-Fi for data connections, but if I start a 3G connection with the phone not in my hand, and I hold it in the left hand (and this happens in the right hand too but, I'm right handed so the natural normal position is the left), it'll die.

I won't lose service completely but it will simply degrade to the point where nothing happens.

But, I can kill it totally with a fingertip on the lower left hand seam bridging the two antennas.

And I am far from being alone in that capacity, either of them, but the basic hand-hold issue is the biggest one the most people are suffering from. Some of us have it truly worse, as in my situation.

I hate to say it but:

Welcome to "The Busted iPhone 4 Owner's Club," basically. :(

4. Castiel macrumors regular

Call Apple support.

The troubleshooting procedures for Apple reps that leaked earlier this week said "Don’t forget YOU STILL NEED to probe and troubleshoot. If a customer calls about their reception while the phone is sitting on a table (not being held) it is not the metal band. ONLY escalate if the issue exists when the phone is not held AND you cannot resolve it."

So if you're having reception issues outside of the bottom-left issue, it sounds like they could help you more. :)