My Experiences with Find My Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prodo123, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

So 3 days ago I locked my Mac from my iPhone using Apple's Find My iPhone app. It asked me to enter a 4-digit passcode, which would be used to unlock the Mac.

The only catch was that the passcode I put in had a typo in it.

So, with a completely incapacitated MacBook Pro, I began to search for answers on my little iPhone. Most people suggested a PRAM reset, booting into the recovery drive, wiping the hard drive, most of which required me to boot into a secondary boot disk. So I tried as suggested, rebooting my computer and holding down Option.

Find My Mac set an EFI firmware password on my Mac as well as the OS password!

This disabled me from doing anything from the boot menu, which essentially meant I couldn't do anything. So as a last resort, I brought the Mac to the Apple Store, without a reservation because it was urgent.

The employees put me on the waiting list rapidly, on which I waited for 30 minutes before their "top Genius" could see me.

The top genius started out with zeroing out the hard drive. This I could have done myself on another computer, but he did it for me this time. It didn't matter though, because the EFI password remained unaffected. Seeing this, he tried to install a fresh copy of Lion from a LaCie Rugged FW800 drive they had. Again, the boot menu was locked away.

Finally, the Genius took the computer to the magical land of "behind that wall that says Genius" to do some specialized work. This was an EFI firmware reset, which involved opening the bottom panel and doing some magickery of sorts. In the end, he handed my Mac back with all my data wiped clean and the EFI password gone.

The data was not an issue because I had backed up my stuff onto my Time Capsule.

So, I brought the laptop home and immediately I installed Snow Leopard on it. No EFI password, yay! Updated the Mac to 10.6.8 fine then installed the latest version of Lion. The install app finished downloading, and the computer restarted, but as it was booting up...

...the 4-digit passcode screen came up again.

Frustrated, I tried everything including reinstalling Snow Leopard and booting from a Lion DVD that I burned as a failsafe. None of them could solve the problem.

I gave a PRAM reset a go. Then magically, the passcode disappeared! I could install Lion again and everything! And the best part is that the Genius didn't charge me a thing. Awesome service.

So, if you're ever stuck in a similar situation as me, remove the EFI password then do a PRAM reset.

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

You can disable the EFI password just by changing the amount of RAM installed.

3. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Yes, but the problem is, even if I did that, the Mac would connect to the internet and Apple would register it as a locked Mac.
    What the Genius did also includes the registration of the Mac as a separate entity. The PRAM reset seems to have finalized it.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

That was never mentioned in the original post. Did he tell you that he was specifically doing that or are you just assuming?

If he was really a Genius he would have known what to do rather than writing zeros to the drive and it not working and then installing the OS only to find that it still required a password. I am happy that you got it resolved but am skeptical that he should be called a Genius let alone Top Genius.

5. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Assuming that the iCloud interface still recognizes the Mac to be locked to this moment, I'm assuming that's what the Genius did.

6. bigpimpim90 macrumors member