Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
London
Hi all,

I have been a long time fan of apple and I wanted to share my experiences with you about the current rev macbook pro.

I bought this in February as soon as the keynote finished. I got the base model which seemed to me to be the sweet point.
At the time I was seriously torn with getting a MBA but the fact that I had a relatively large itunes (150gb) would mean I would need to have a hard drive with that attached. This is what I was doing with my ibook g4 and found it really a pain.
I was really looking for that 'all in one' solution. As a note a desktop wasn't an option as I had nowhere to put it in my flat

Well I have to report back that my time with the MBP has been great! It really is a powerhouse and lets me do everything that I need to do, whether it be image editing and work (boo!!) to watching films in bed and playing C+C!

The screen is really a bonus, I think after a while you get used to something and don't appreciate the quality. The other day I was in a shop and saw a blackbook and just realised how superior the MBP screen was. it really makes everything much more easy.

I am fortunate enough to be in a good job and able to afford expensive items like this. as it has now been 6+ months since I got it I am 'able' to afford a new purchase. I have been looking at getting another apple computer, obviously, from the macbook, definitely the macbook air and right through to the imac and even mac pro. BUT the problem is....

with the macbook pro there just isn't (for my experiences) a hole that needs to be filled. It really is, in my opinion, the most versatile machine and worth every penny that I have spent. I always like to pride myself in being well researched and buying the best products and in this case I really don't think I could have done better ..... except if it had a 500gb hard drive!!! :D

Thanks everyone (anyone?!) who reads this and please post your experiences good or bad - specs are in my sig

d:apple:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Glad to hear you are enjoying your MBP. I agree that it is a superb machine, powerful, great performance, attractive aesthetic, and - you are absolutely correct - a superb screen. I'm a switcher - and my first Mac is my MBP which I treated myself to in April.
Good luck, and spread the word.
Cheers

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
with the macbook pro there just isn't (for my experiences) a hole that needs to be filled. It really is, in my opinion, the most versatile machine and worth every penny that I have spent. I always like to pride myself in being well researched and buying the best products and in this case I really don't think I could have done better ..... except if it had a 500gb hard drive!!!
I completely agree! I've been completely satisfied with mine and never find myself saying, "I wish it did...". In my opinion, the 15" MBP is a great balance of portability and performance. Like you, I could always use more disk space, since our iTunes collections are about the same size. I still use an external drive that I carry with me for that. I haven't had a single problem with mine. No dead pixels, no heat problems, no graphics problems, good battery life (4+hours) whisper quiet, screamin' fast... and it definitely gets a workout, since I'm on it 15+ hours a day, 7 days a week. Best computer I've ever owned!

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
London
thanks for the prompt replies ggjstudios and Scepticalscribe

I obviously couldnt agree more. I know that forums, understandably, attract a lot of the negatives but I guess I just wanted to post something that tried to sum up for me what it is to own an apple product and have it hit that swet point in your life where you just stop wishing it did something else

oh and by the way I absolutely love he way it looks!

d:apple:

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I too am completely happy with my MBP. Switched over to Macs in Sept of '07 with a 24" iMac. I loved it so much that in November, I bought a Blackbook. Although it was a great laptop, there were a few things I didn't like about it, mostly the way it was impossible to keep clean. Then came the DVD drive problem. Kernel panics daily, and after getting the Optical drive replaced, the problems continued. Apple gave me the option of a new MB or credit towards the MBP, which I instantly jumped on. I have been a happy camper ever since. I am also on mine 12+ hours a day, and it is an absolute joy. I love the speed, lightness, and solid feel of the MBP. My 120g of music fits nicely on the 320g WD Hard Drive I upgraded to.

My ONLY regret now is I am never on my iMac. It just sits lonely waiting for me to come play with it. It will soon be listed on Craigslist, as the MBP fits all my computing needs.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So if I pick up a MBP am I going to stop using my Mac Pro? Now I'm worried :D
It really depends on what you use a computer for. I found many years ago that a "maxxed-out" notebook would do all the things I needed a desktop to do, and had the added advantage of portability. I haven't bought a desktop computer in more than 8 years.

mastermix

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2003
Asbury Park, NJ
Was lucky enough to spend a couple of weeks with a loaded 15" 2.6 MBP on loan from Apple a few months ago evaluating it for possible purchase by the job. It was one of the best Macs, and the best PC(under native boot) that I ever had the pleasure of using, and I've used a lot of both of them!

It was hard giving that machine back! Even harder to go back to my 15" 1.67 PBG4... I still have hope that the demo will morph into a purchase!

A screen cap from the MBP in action

emt8q5

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2007
Just thought I'd chime in here and say that my experience with my Macbook Pro has been nothing but positive. I use it everyday at work, at home and everywhere in between. Couldn't live without it!

Star-fire

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Yes, just posted in another thread but my 2.5 15" MBP bought it a week ago is by far the best Apple I've owned. It's as perfect as I could want a laptop to be, even the battery time is dang good and it runs very cool! I too am thinking of selling my 20" Core duo (not Core 2) iMac and just getting a screen since the MBP well out preforms it!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It really depends on what you use a computer for. I found many years ago that a "maxxed-out" notebook would do all the things I needed a desktop to do, and had the added advantage of portability. I haven't bought a desktop computer in more than 8 years.

Ditto; I have not had a desktop computer in a decade as I prize portability; these days, the power of notebooks make them more than adequate for any computing task (unlike a decade ago, when there was a serious trade-off re power when one plumped for portability). I have had an Olivetti, Toshiba, Sony (all fine machines in their own way) and now my MBP which is far and away the best computer I have ever owned.

Good luck to the OP, drummerlondonw3, and to Star-fire with your new MBPs - enjoy them fully. Great to hear, to, that many other MPB owners are really enjoying the experience of having a MBP, one hears so much about the potentially negative side, that it is wonderful to hear positive feedback.

Cheers

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
MBPs are awesome indeed!

My wife and I each have one, Mine is a modded 15 inch 2.16 C2D with 1920*1200 LCD 320GB 5400 4GB and hers is a SR 15 inch 2.2 C2D 200GB 7200 3GB. Both machines are great. No display issues at all, only glitch was a bad Superdrive in the 2.16. The combination of OS X and the ability to run Windows makes these systems perfect for home and office.

Couldn't be happier.

Cheers,

nonick

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
MBP`s are great

hello,
i also wanted to post something about the MBP.
i don`t have one of my own yet(i`m getting one as soon as they get an update), but i used the MBP of my friend for some time and it is really amazing.
the display is great(although 1680x1050 would be better), the keyboard too and the speed couldn`t be better.
and there is nothing to say about the design : its 1000x better than any sony, acer or dell laptop. :)
i`m looking forward to get my own (updated) MBP.

skyrider007

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2007
Bangkok
I have the 15" 2.4 Penryn MBP and it's been good in the past four months. I hope this thing will last me at least three years without much trouble!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.