my external drives wont allow write access?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tbluhp, Oct 4, 2009.

1. tbluhp macrumors 6502a

Why is this?

I can't changed it mac won't let me. What do I do?

2. bry223 macrumors regular

Is it a NTFS drive? If so it can only read and not write. My external drive is formatted FAT32 so I can read/write in OSX and use it for windows as well.

3. tbluhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes it is how can i change back without wipping?

4. nevets007 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. My drive was working fine then one day it was read only. I thought I would have to re-format. I researched a little and it said sometime it is caused by an error that is caused when disconnecting the drive from a PC.

Just the other day I needed several files from the drive so I connected it back to my PC. I noticed I couldn't save the file because it was also read only on the PC. I then selected all the files on the drive and removed the read only in properties.

When I connected the drive back to my iMac to my surprise it worked as read/write! So my drive is operational again!

Hope this works for your!

5. yatz macrumors newbie

6. nevets007 macrumors newbie

I did have NTFS-3G and MacFUSE and it was working fine until I used it with the PC and then got that error.

7. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Reconnect it to the PC and properly eject it (click on the Eject icon in the Windows system tray). Then try connecting it to the Mac again.