My external Microsoft mouse stopped working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LadyK8, Apr 14, 2011.

1. LadyK8 macrumors member

LadyK8

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Is this in OS X or Windows? What have you tried? ARe the batteries good? Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting and removing from the system in System Preferences and Reinstalling?? Kind of a vague request without some specifics?? IS it BT or have its own dongle?? We need more info.

3. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

Here is the problem.

Just joking, lol.

How about you tell us a bit about the mouse, what model, how old, and most importantly: what OS are you using to run it?

4. LadyK8 thread starter macrumors member

LadyK8

I'm on OS X Snow Leopard. I'm trying to find it in System Preferences: Bluetooth, but it didn't detect the device.

Yes, I tried disconnecting and connecting again, but it didn't work. I guess you would say that it has it's own "dongle." It's not connected by a cord. It's in USB form.

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

So is it RF or BT (if not BT then it won't show under the BT, try looking under mouse settings). I would disconnect the dongle, reboot the computer and reinstall and see if it works. Not being stupid or condescending, but are you sure the batteries are good (they could be getting weak)? Take them pout and put them back in and see if it starts working or just replace them and try that route.

6. LadyK8 thread starter macrumors member

LadyK8

I did everything you suggested, and neither options worked. :(

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Everything except answer our questions. Since you refuse to help us help you, I wish you luck as you are going to need from here. Rather then list out what you have done and answer the questions asked we are shooting in the dark. All we are getting are basically I am done comments. Trouble shooting iworks better when we know some things about what we are dealing with. You never stated anything about your system, the software you are running, what type of mouse (Microsoft has lots of mice), be it BT or RF?

8. LadyK8 thread starter macrumors member

LadyK8

Huh? I answered every single question I was asked, pretty much.

I disconnected and then reconnected the mouse, didn't work, I have a brand new battery in it, still doesn't work, I restarted my computer and reconnected the mouse, still doesn't work. The type of mouse I have is the Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 4000. I don't know what BT and RF are, and I'm using Mac OS X Snow Leopard on a Macbook Pro 13.3 inch 2.3 Ghz i5.

What else do you need? I will gladly answer it. No need to be rude.

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

No you didn't until now. We never knew anything about the mouse or system. I am assuming it is the Notebook Optical 4000, as there is also a Mobile Optical 4000 as well. Have you tried downloading the drivers and reinstalling from Microsoft (I went to their website and they offer a software for Mac)? Have you tried the dongle in a different USB port? Have you tried it on another computer if you have one to see if it works there?? Did you try to go to System Preferences and add it there, using the + sign at the bottom (maybe your computer uninstalled and forgot it)?

BT= Blue Tooth
    RF = Radio Frequency
    If it is BT you may have interference with the Apple BT module

There is the possibility that the Airport is interfering as well, may need to change the channels to avoid interference.

10. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

All the informations you gave us in this post should have been in the first post.
    Also don't think we act rude, we just want to know stuff so we can help you.

11. LadyK8 thread starter macrumors member

LadyK8

Lord Appleseed, it might not have been given in the first post, but it was given after the questions were asked. I'm not very tech savvy, so I had to do some digging for the exact information regarding my mouse. Secondly, why are you saying "we." I wasn't responding to you.

Also, I'm a newbie at this whole Mac thing. It's a little thing called "patience." People getting snooty doesn't help.

Squeakr, thanks for your reply. I was doing web searches while waiting for responses in this thread. I downloaded something called Intellipoint, and learned about some buttons that I had on my mouse. After downloading Intellipoint, I pressed both of these buttons and it started working instantly.

12. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Your welcome and I am glad it worked for you. The other poster did respond as well (immediately after my original post) and asked for the same things I did. Look at the threads and you will see his posting, hence the "we". I was waiting for that info as well (sometimes it is the most basic things that go wrong, hello Murphy), but in the meantime posting some basic things to try.

No problem being new as we all had to start somewhere, but in the future include as much information as possible in the beginning and it will save lots of trouble and questions as things change from OS release to release and model to model, some are big changes and others incremental.

13. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

"We" as in squeakr and me,I too asked in order to be able to help, but I didnt give any further advice after asking my questions because I can't help.

14. LadyK8 thread starter macrumors member

LadyK8

But the rude comment had nothing to do with you.

Thanks for the advice. I apologize for all of the confusion.

15. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

It's okay, no one was hurt emotionally or anything, misunderstandings can happen.
    I am glad that you found a solution that worked for you.

Have a nice day :)

16. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Sorry, if I came off as rude, it was actually frustration. I used to work as a tech and was supposed to figure out how to fix something when all I was told was "It no worky!" And yes that was exactly what I was told (english was not the users main language, so we found it amusing the way it was said and it has stuck since then).
    None the less that is what your responses came off as to me. When asked what you have done exactly and tried, don't just say "what you suggested". We need the steps as maybe you didn't do exactly as was asked. I have seen people say I did as you said, and then go on to say I rebooted, removed the dongle and the reinstalled and still no fix (that would not be what I said, as by removing first the background processes don't try to start when rebooted and this can make a huge difference). Be as precise as you can and it makes it easier all around. For all we knew your mouse might not have been compatible. My favorite keyboard and mouse are NOT compatible with Mac OS try as I might to get it to work.:D