iPhone X My eyesight is getting worse, iPhone X fault?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Larvas, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Larvas macrumors member

Larvas

Hey guys,

I have been using high quality phones and screens for a while now, and until last year, once I got the iPhone X, I didn't have any problems with my eyesight.

Absolutely nothing changed with my setup, I still have the same IPS monitor which I have been using for years, which I tested and it still works properly. I have my 15" MBP which I have been using for almost 4 years, also everything fine with it.

Now, I am getting older, I'm going to be 31 now, with an almost 16 year long computer/gaming career behind me, but I'm still having a hard time in acknowledging that my age + screen time affected my eyesight, since the whole thing started last year once I got the iPhone X.

I am aware of the PWM thing, I went through several tutorials on how to do it and tried everything which they suggested: https://gdgtpreview.com/2018/10/eyestrain-with-iphone-x-iphone-xs-and-iphone-xs-max/

With the tutorials and various "get a PWM Free Screen" articles I solved most of the issues, like migraines and having a foggy view after a few minutes of direct screen time on the iPhone, but my eyesight is still messy.

Basically I'm having half of a day good eyesight, the other half bad one, sometimes it's such a mess that I can't read a font 10 article from one meter away.

Did anyone else experience something like this, do you have any suggestions? I really don't want to get glasses since I have the feeling that it's just going to go downhill after that.

TL:DR

- had good eyesight
    - after getting iPhone X it got worse
    - I did figure out how to do it PWM free
    - I still believe that it's screwing up my eyesight

2. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

31? LOL. Wait until you tack another 25 years on to that. :(

3. Newtons Apple, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Not wanting glasses is a normal thing. I fought it for years. Used to just add more light and all was good for reading but when the bedroom table lamp started to make a burning smell, I took out the 300 watt bulb and got glasses.

Even at 31 your eyes have been degrading. Time to see a eye doctor for a checkup.

At 31, "things" are no longer going up hill, it is all down hill for now on.

4. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Don’t go to an optometrist. Go to an ophthalmologist, preferably one with a good reputation in your area. Get a thorough exam that will look for actual physical signs of damage from whatever environmental hazards your eyes have been exposed to or disease that could result or be part of your genetic fate.

An optometrist does not go as in depth and thorough with this aspect of an eye exam as an ophthalmologist does.

An ophthalmologist is still qualified to write you a prescription for glasses or contacts if you need one.

Nobody is going to believe this but the brief times I used the iPhone X (for a month) and more recently the XS Max, when I would take off my glasses that correct for my myopia/nearsightedness I would actually have clear sharp distance vision for a few minutes. I kind of miss that about those freaky pwm displays. But I don’t miss the watery eyes and migraines and the weird heat shimmer wavy effect on my vision from the X.

5. kapolani macrumors 6502

Sound about right.

I always had 20/10 vision. Around that age I noticed issues. Computer screens started making my eyes get blurry at times.

I'm now 46 and have to wear glasses to read. I have to wear them first thing in the morning to really see clearly.

It is an unsettling feeling, but one you get used to.

Welcome to getting old!

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Unfortunately once you start to wear glasses those eye muscles relax and you become dependent on them quickly.

7. techspin macrumors 6502a

Take frequent breaks. If you strain to see, your vision will only suffer.

8. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

It's a combination of age and eye strain over the years you've been gaming. Unfortunate thing about getting old is your eye sight starts to slip.

9. Diorama macrumors 6502a

I’m 31. My eyesight was crystal clear until about 2 years ago. Might just be that age.
    Need to get that daily 8 hour screen time down...

10. kasakka macrumors 68020

A lot of people don’t notice their eye sight getting worse. I’ve had glasses since I’ve been like 12 and it starts by not being able to read things in the distance or close up depending on how your eyesight deteriorates. It’s not something that happens over night and I don’t find it plausible that the iPhone is the culprit.

Don’t try to avoid getting glasses, you will appreciate what they do for your eyesight when you get used to them. Find glasses that fit your face or wear contacts. It’s better than trying to squint to see clearly.

11. AppleB macrumors 6502a

AppleB

OP:

I don’t think it’s the IPhone X that’s making your eyes get worse. At 31 you’ve had a lot of “trigger time” with computers and devices.
    I had great eyesight at 31 I’m now 56.

For me from age 15 to 31 there wasn’t much to look at. No phone displays to stare at for hours no bright computer screens. So it’s possible that people’s eyesight may get worse at a younger age.
    So it’s possible that my eyesight was better at 31 than yours is at 31.

12. now i see it macrumors 68040

If you use a computer or smartphone- getting glasses is an inevitability. What you're experiencing is chronic eye strain and yes... aging eyes. It's inevitable. The eyes were never designed (never evolved) to stare at CRT, flourescent, LED, LCD, backlights 15 hours a day 14 inches a day for decades. It messes them up (putting it technically). The best thing you can do for your eyes is stop staring at these displays. But since that isn't going to happen-get some damn glasses. Constantly flexing the focusing muscles in the eyes to maintain focus fatigues them and makes them weaker.
    Eyeglasses let your eyes relax so that you're not straining the muscles all the time.

I took a 6 month trip away from any computer display, living out doors and not even reading printed type much at all (no reading books? And my eyesight was so much better after those 6 months being away from computer displays. But once I returned to computer hell - the symptoms returned.

These thing are definitely bad for your eyesight. It's a sell known fact. Get some good glasses.

13. Larvas thread starter macrumors member

Larvas

Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate all of them! I will reduce the sreen time even more, go and visit an ophthalmologist and check what I can do about this.

14. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

"Eyes, like all body parts, are consumable components that become less effective as they age. Learn more..."

15. Ffosse macrumors 68000

You're still very young to be having such eye problems.

My problem is short-sightedness at 52. With my Idevices I've been fine apart from the 4.7" screen of the iPhone 8. This was partly due to its small keyboard for typing on. Hence the reason I wanted a bigger display, I was beginning to squint at the 8 due to its small display.

16. UnifiedMelody macrumors regular

UnifiedMelody

reminded me when i went from a 100$ monitor [tn/led/****** color] to 900$ monitor [ips gaming/accurate colors]

i had a moment of eyesore because i was amazed at the amount of vision i got from the expensive monitor that it struck me, then i got used to it after awhile.

bit like looking at 3D/HDR... at first it shocks you then you get used to it. i think this is similar to what you are experiencing currently... when you see a high quality phone screen you get that amazing feeling

[bringing things into context]

17. Macalway macrumors 68030

The X is not hurting your eyes because it's an X, but it might harm you like anything that causes strain from prolonged use in certain lighting situations, and/or durations.

I have noticed that the contrast on these is so vivid, it's to the point of unusual.
    Which is a good thing, but maybe stressful to your vision: like staring at a something for long periods, or watching movie marathons.

Then again, I have no idea what i'm talking about :)