My fan never turns off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gix1k, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

It seriously runs all 8 hours I am at work. The culprit is Lotus Notes. It's consuming 200% of my CPU. Nothing I can do about the app...I need it. Any advice? I fear I am messing up my MBP.

2015 15" RMBP

2. AppleFan22 macrumors regular

The only thing I can think of is downloading CrystalIdea's Macs Fan Control (NOT SMC fan control), and setting the exhaust speed to 2000 rpm (or the lowest possible on your device, it may be different to mine), which will force the fans to run at only 2000 rpm. That might also help reduce the CPU that Lotus Notes does. Someone will probably come along and give you reasons why that's a bad idea, but it's the best I can manage. Remember to set the exhaust back to an automatic control when you're finished, as it may slow you down when trying to do other tasks.

3. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Well, the device is trying to cool itself because the CPU usage is too high and you're telling him to disable it. That's like hitting the "Check engine" light with a hammer.

No, it won't reduce anything. The MacBook will probably overheat, then throttle like crazy and maybe (MAYBE) will shut down when the CPU reaches its temp threshold.

TO OP: Maybe there is a bug in the app, you better call those guys at IBM and ask them why their software has gone rogue.

4. AppleFan22 macrumors regular

I won't doubt what you've said at all. You seem to know more about this than I do any how. However I have noticed a performance difference when the speed it turned down to 2,000 as opposed to 6,200, but that was in BootCamp playing GTA...

Sorry to bother you on a thread which isn't mine, but could you explain the term "throttling" please? As if I'm an idiot and don't understand any of this stuff. Thanks!

5. macenied, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Throttling means to reduce the frequency of executions / operations. E.g. go down from 3.0 GHZ to 0.8 GHZ. Less executions / operations, less heat, less performance. Modern CPU´s and GPU´s can do this to avoid self-destruction caused by heat.

Reducing fan speed because of noise is a bad idea, this means reducing cooling for a already hot and maybe overheated system. Find the root cause why the system is overheating and fix the problem.

6. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

There are some articles around about "Lotus Notes high CPU" utilization. It seems to be a known issue. Please google for it and I wish you find a solution for that problem.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The fan isn't spinning because making noise is fun. It is spinning because more air needs to flow through the computer to keep the components cool. If you reduce the fan speed, the temperatures will go up. I doubt you'll damage anything, but it's possible.

8. pjfan macrumors regular

The application has a problem. Do what macenied said. I suspect you'll find that purging the application and installing it again might fix the problem. There seems to be a lot of tips and large support community around Lotus Notes... I'm not a member of that however.

You definitely need to curb the cpu utilization problem. Does this occur following a reboot?

Check this out: http://www.notesonproductivity.com/...r-personal-productivity-by-sharpening-the-saw

9. AppleFan22 macrumors regular

Ahh, that makes a lot of sense now, thank you!

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

You're not.

11. ckWTB macrumors member

ckWTB

As others have said, addressing the Lotus Notes directly should be your initial focus. After that then addressing limited built-in cooling capacity with supplemental cooling will reduce or eliminate throttling.

12. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Install latest update:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21657963

There was a regression in 9.0.1FP1 that caused high CPU usage. This of course assumes that you are running an affected version. You didn't specify, so the best I can do is to recommend installing the latest update.