My fans are going wild!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macintosh001, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Macintosh001 macrumors member

Macintosh001

Hey!!Well lately the fans of my iMac G5(with Leopard)are working a lot...I think overworking the noise is a bit annoying and I cannot find any program for my computer.I would be very glad If someone could recommend me something to do with it.Thank you!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

usually fan speed is associated with cpu load. are you running any cpu intensive tasks? if there are none that you are aware of open activity monitor, show all processes and click the CPU tab to show the most cpu intensive task at the top. if you know what it process this is kill it, if you dont report back.

3. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

It's probably a hardware problem. iMac G5s had an extended 3 year repair program for that. If you're out of that time range then you basically are out of luck.

4. Macintosh001 thread starter macrumors member

Macintosh001

Well today I have called Apple and it looks like my fans are better...but I'll se with time because right now I only have safari open so...:confused:

In case this can help anyone this is what they have basically told me:switch off the computer,take ALL the wires out and then press the power buttom for about 20 seconds.After put the basic cables back to their position and then turn on the computer.Then I press alt,command,p and r when you hear the starting sound till you hear a second sound.

I hope this works..:)If not I think I'm still under the warranty...

5. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Not necessarily. My girlfriend's iBook G3 got it's logic board replaced this year, despite the repair extension programme ending in 2005. It was partly a mistake on Apple's part, but they honoured something they had no requirement to. We were pretty happy about that. :)