My far fetched guess why the online order launch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by powerslave65, Apr 13, 2015.

1. powerslave65 macrumors regular

After visiting the Apple store and seeing the watch in person one thing was very clear. This watch has a steep learning curve for an Apple product. Most people who stayed up late to order one online (like me) are true believers in the smart watch concept of wearable tech and very fluent in a software lifestyle. What better sales force than a million or so already trained users in the wild before it hit's the stores?

2. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I think that is part of it. Also, I was thinking that they may use the appointments to "train" people, although that does not sound like it is the case.

3. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Maybe it's a little easier to let people pick the one they want and have it shipped versus have people show up at a store that won't have very much stock whatsoever due to the number of models and lower than expected stock.

4. playaproved macrumors 6502

This. With the inability to stock 20 different options of any significant quantity, the easiest way to handle the launch is exactly how they did it, online.

Imagine how many disappointed people they would have had in line when their specific combination wasn't available. You can already see it with the various iPhone configurations every year.

Get the people who are excited enough about it to preorder exactly what they want and when they have sufficient stock to inventory the retail stores then do it.

5. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

It is a rather odd launch IMO. I'm shocked that they still only have 3 out of the 9 guided tour videos available over 3 days after preorders launched. To top that off, certain models starting 4-6 weeks or more right from the get go.

Fashion products should be seen in person, so I'm glad they at least attempted to open up appointments in store, but by the time they did the watches were sold out through June for many models by 12:09am PDT.

The 4/24-5/8 deliver by range seems like they are a mess right now/just trying to cover themselves so people on't complain if they can't meet their deadlines

Very odd, and I accept that I may be wrong, but that's just the vibe I've been gathering thus far

6. powerslave65 thread starter macrumors regular

Testing demand through online launch first was pretty shrewd. They achieved the buzz of great demand without any risk.