My faulty scratched White SS is going to Apple for assessment.

Smickers

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2015
So, I took off my jacket Sunday and out of the sleeve comes my SS and drops on the floor and slides for a bit before stopping. Turns out the locking mechanism wasn't locking the strap.

On closer inspection it requires a number of tries, pulling and pushing the strap to get it to lock.

It's just the top strap. One scratched casing, with the glass fine.

Contacted Apple to try and get AppleCare for express replacement but they won't due to the scratch, despite it being caused by faulty strap/watch. Said they're very interested in the fault and I'm dhl'ing watch to Ireland for inspection. Said it would be 2-3 day turnaround. I can't see how when they have no stock.

Attachments

Natzoo

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Wow i better make sure when my watch comes, everything is strapped in, including the screen:D

Smickers

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2015
They even wanted videos which I provided.

----------

Wow i better make sure when my watch comes, everything is strapped in, including the screen:D
Make sure you do. I'd never even removed the strap so it came like this.

Natzoo

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Wow if that had been a sport the screen would have probably shattered.
I thought sport was the one that got more scratched and the Stainless Steel version had stronger glass but shatters when it gets scratched

edlex

macrumors 68000
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
I thought sport was the one that got more scratched and the Stainless Steel version had stronger glass but shatters when it gets scratched
Well based on the torture tests I've seen the sapphire holds up better in drops and scratching.

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011
the sport scratches easy but it takes a lot to shatter a sapphire crystal. Its not a even trade lol

Smickers

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2015
Apple have confirmed it to be faulty and are sending me out a brand new retail unit sealed in the next 24 hours.

3square

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2014
Apple have confirmed it to be faulty and are sending me out a brand new retail unit sealed in the next 24 hours.
nice to hear they are handling this promptly. this gives me hope that my situation might be as fast.
currently waiting to hear back from their engineers.

Ryxmd

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2014
I had this same problem when I first received my SS with Milanese. I had it on my wrist and noticed that the top strap had some movement. I took off the watch and tried to get it to lock in. After 3-4 tries, it finally locked into place. I wonder if I should contact Apple about this.

fischersd

macrumors 601
Oct 23, 2014
Vancouver, BC, Canada
So, I took off my jacket Sunday .... I can't see how when they have no stock.
Apple would have seeded the warranty replacement channel before shipping any sales (otherwise, how could they timely do replacements?)

The size of the warranty channel (before people get pissy and say "But I want mine now!") :) will increase as more watches are sold. Typically it's a % of watches sold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.