My files on my portable hard drive all are "locked" ???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by crashderby, Jan 2, 2012.

1. crashderby macrumors newbie

I have recently bought an iMAC and am still very new with everything there is to learn . Some things are not so easy to figure out - and so I'm asking hopefully those who know about MACs.

I have a 1TB Seagate Portable Hard Drive that I have had for about a year and it has worked great for me . I use it to store all of my photos on it since I take so many - especially with my growing family . I have all my pictures organized by year, then by month, then day . It cleaned my PC right up and it works great . Worked great .

I now have a MAC OS X 10.7.2 - the iMAC thing . I have for the first time since I've had it, uploaded my pictures off my camera (which was not as easy a thing as I was use to on my PC) , and would now like to store them on my PHD in the appropriate year/month/day folders ........

But , I went to go open the folders and delete some silly pictures that I wanted gone , and it won't let me delete anything . It says its locked . So I tried to add a folder to my December folder for 2011 , and it won't let me add anything to it either . I am scared to put my pictures on the hard drive and delete them off my camera because I don't know if they will transfer over correctly and if they do - I don't know if I can access them later . Also , I want to put them in the right dated folders so I can keep track of them and the time they were taken .

Does anyone have any idea why this is going on ? Is there something I am not doing that I don't know about ? Can I only use my PHD on a PC ??? I wouldn't think so - But I am very confused .

Pleeeaassseee help me .:confused:

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

What file format is the external HDD? NTFS?

If it you will need to install wither NTFS-3G or MacFuse. This will give you write access to an NTFS drive.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Use iPhoto to organize your photos. Don't worry about how they're named on the drive.

4. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

I faced the same issues when i bought my iMac, what i did was copy everything from the NTFS drive. Reformat the drive to Mac OS Journal (extended) and then move everything back again, worked fine. What i also did was split up my drive in to two partitions, i gave the OSX one 800GB because of time machine. I also created a Shared partition, which i formatted to FAT32 incase i wanted to transfer something from a Windows PC to my Mac or vise versa. Good luck. :)