My Final Cut Pro X is BROKED

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by teezy, Sep 21, 2015.

1. teezy macrumors member

teezy

Uh.......... why does this happen lol

Running 10.2.2.. this only happened since I updated to the El Capitan GM though, so that may be the issue(?). Currently doing a Time Machine backup so I can install the 10.11.1 update... maybe that'll fix some of the silly stuff like that although I don't see how because its seems like its literally... the app.

Attached Files:

2. chrfr macrumors 603

I think I'd skip putting the 10.11.1 update on and wait a week for the released version of 10.11, and likely an FCP update with 10.11 compatibility.

3. teezy thread starter macrumors member

teezy

Fair option. I've got nothing to lose though, I do regular Time Machine backups so I'm just gonna install it. No biggie. It's just really weird...

4. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

That does sound like the issue. Apps that actually support El Capitan – including Apple's – will probably release around El Capitan's actual release date. You're using the GM, but it's still pre-release software, so incompatibility is to be expected.

5. coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

I had the same & it also repeatedly crashed EVERY time optical flow or stabilisation was applied. The El Cap 10.11.1 beta update fixes the crashing and other import issues, but the graphical 'glitches' have gone (the ' IN SEC FR HR MN ' text still doesn't line up though!)

6. teezy thread starter macrumors member

teezy

Thanks, guys, for the insight. FCP actually runs a bit smoother in 10.11.1. Can't wait until the actual release!

7. coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

Spoke too soon - crashing again everytime stabilisation is applied - oh well!

8. MvdM macrumors regular

9. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Yeah runs pretty smooth for me. Better than Yosemite.

10. teezy thread starter macrumors member

teezy

Installed the 10.11 Final earlier today, still having that graphical glitch in FCPX! I'm over it. Gonna start using Premiere and AE, lol. Wish me luck...

11. pwhitehead macrumors 6502

pwhitehead

Smart guy! FCPX is for amateurs, silly gooses!

12. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Is only this app impacted as far as you folks know?

13. teezy thread starter macrumors member

teezy

Rather as far as I'm concerned, it's the only app giving me such a weird graphical glitch.

14. Unami macrumors 6502a

good luck indeed :)

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2015/10/premiere-pro-cc-and-mac-os-x-10-11-el-capitan.html

i'm not 100% sure if premiere is the software to go to if one wants to avoid bugs. :rolleyes:

15. e1me5 macrumors member

e1me5

Hi guys! Didn't listen to you and updated to el Capitan. I too get the graphical glitch in fcpx but everything else looks ok at the moment. Is there anything to do to fix this? Or do i have to wait for an update? Also, do the people experience this have a non retina mac? Or is it the same with all the resolutions?

Also when i launch fcpx multiple icons appear on the dock next to the fcpx one. is that normal? they are like a command prompt window. FCPX use to do that back when I was on snow leopard but I haven't seen this behavior for a long time now.

16. pwhitehead macrumors 6502

pwhitehead

17. teezy thread starter macrumors member

teezy

Glad I'm not the only one, lol. Funny how the graphical thing is the only issue now with FCPX. Btw I'm on a non-retina MBP, so there's your answer to that haha

As far as the icon thing, that's Final Cut running auvaltool to make sure your audio unit plugins (probably some you have for GarageBand, or Logic) are working ok. It tests every single plugin. Logic does it, GarageBand does it, as well as other and other DAWs that work with audio units... I'm in passé with my music production but I have 400+ third-party plugins that I use in Logic, most of which are instruments and stuff Final Cut hasn't in the past or never ever will recognize... so fortunately only a fraction of them will work. I will say though that before El Capitan, loading up FCPX took about half as long as it does now. The difference is negligible, but still... lol. Can't wait for an update to squash the graphical bug.

18. coldsweat, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015

coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

Why do the Adobe fundamentalists feel the need to rock on up to every FCPX thread & bang on about how great PP is? Are you all so insecure about your own choice of NLE, is it some kind of product affirmation thing?

edit: actually thinking about it - I always moan about PP users chiming in on FCPX forums, maybe it's actually me who's insecure about my choice of NLE :confused::confused::confused::confused:......... Actually no - FCPX Rocks (when it works!)

19. e1me5 macrumors member

e1me5

Great info, thank you very much!! :)

As for the performance of FCPX I didn't notice to be inferior than Yosemite. But I want that update soon enough to see what Metal can do. My 15" mid 2012 cMBP really suffers with the 3D titles FCPX now has. I would like to see an improvement on that!

20. pinholestars macrumors member

pinholestars

Anyone else have an issue with the timeline and pinch to zoom? Any time I pinch (or unpinch) to zoom on the timeline, the UI freezes and I have to force quit FCPX. Only started with El Cap. I also have the graphical glitch, though it seems unrelated.

21. e1me5 macrumors member

e1me5

No pinch to zoom crash for me, but it keeps randomly crashing when I am using the stabilization tool.. It has to do with the OpenCL, as far as I can tell from the crash report. If I remember correctly, Apple took it's time last year to update FCPX to accumulate the new features of Yosemite, but i hope this year they release an update soon enough, as the glitches are more severe than last year.

22. Ifti macrumors 68000

I also get that graphical glitch on the timer, but everything else seems to be working normally for me.....

23. coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

A fix has been found for this issue - it seems to occur with NVIDIA cards only. You need to install the latest NVIDIA driver & the analysis crashing is fixed!

More info on the Apple discussion threads here

24. e1me5 macrumors member

e1me5

Yeah, that fixed the bug! Thank you very very much!! :)