My final iPhone question...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spongey817, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Spongey817 macrumors regular

After some debating, I think I'm going to be purchasing an iPhone.

That said, I've changed my mind since my last thread (regarding iPhone texting plans). I plan to unlock the phone and keep my existing SIM card. So, although they may be a bit cliche, I have a few questions that I am unclear about...even after researching various threads on MacRumors.

1) I don't plan to sign a two year contract. I am currently on a family plan that includes unlimited texting. If I transfer my SIM card over to the phone, will the unlimited texting transfer over?

2) Since I'm not signing up for a data plan, I assume I will somehow need to disable EDGE services. I've heard of a few ways this is possible. Could someone refer me to the right one?

3) After unlocking, jail breaking, and transferring the SIM, what features on the iPhone will I be missing? I understand visual voicemail will not be possible, but are there any others?

4) Finally, how will this all go over with ATT? Do I need to call customer service to ensure I am not paying any more than I currently am?

That's all for now. I appreciate all the help. I feel like I am asking a lot of questions, but understand that (while I know a lot about cell phones) I am oblivious to any iPhone exceptions.

2. McGiord, Apr 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Once you unlock your iPhone it will behave like any other GSM cellphone, so the SIM card you use on it will define what services will run.
    Obviously if you don't have EDGE on your account it will not work, and if you do, and if you don't have an unlimited plan you can disable it in your iPhone Settings via any of the 3rd party free apps out there.
    ________
    Mercedes-Benz 190 specifications

3. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

1. Yes
    2. You can completely disable edge on your account by removing MediaNet PPU, or use BossPrefs on the iPhone to turn it off.
    3. No visual voicemail, or edge if you decide not to get the $15 unlimited plan.
    4. Once you put your SIM in your iPhone, you wont be able to edit your account online unless you put the SIM back in another phone overnight. You will still be able to see your usage and make sure you are not overcharged, but you wont be able to change any features without calling 611.

4. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

The post above this one addresses your questions, but it seems that you might just want to consider ATT. They offer an unlimited text messaging plan. Plus, you would be able to use the unlimited data iPhone plan and be worry-free when updates are released or you need service.
    If you're worried about the contract, it's not that big of a deal--- $175 cancellation fee that decreases by $5/month (cancellation fee prorating policy takes effect on May 25, if you sign up a contract before May 25 you will have to pay $175 regardless of when you cancel).

5. Spongey817 thread starter macrumors regular

I might not have said this in my OP, but I already have ATT

I'm a little confused over the above answer. Once I transfer the SIM card to the iPhone, I should be good to go, right? I was under the impression that I didn't have to change anything in the account...so why call 611?

Thanks...

6. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

You dont need to change a thing. But if you wanted to add a feature to your account, for example, unlimited data for $15/month, then you would need to put your SIM in another phone overnight, or call. You can not make any changes to your account online if the SIM is in your iPhone.

7. Spongey817 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, alright, I understand.

Thanks for all the help guys