My final rant thread about the Camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I don't mean to be a downer the night before the US launch, but I just wanted to reiterate my disappointment on the lack of improvement on the camera. That is their one disadvantage to their competitors...

They boast the simplicity of manipulating and uploading pics from the iphone, and yet they keep it at a crappy quality...

I could create a nice long rant thread about this, but I'm feeling brief at the moment. Especially because I don't want to ruin my excitement, because clearly I have sold my soul to apple and will be buying an iphone on saturday.

I guess I also have one question. Do you know how much can be fixed thru software (not that apple will do that anytime in the near future...) Like i know we're stuck with 2mp, but how about things like video, autofocus, zoom, or other camera improvements?

2. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

It's a cell phone first...not a camera. If you want a good camera...BUY A CAMERA. As far as I'm concerned the Camera is an added feature for conveinence. Let's you tag your contacts with pictures and snap shots when you need to in a crunch. It's not for high quality picture taking.

I still have my Nikon Coolpix 950 to take my good pictures.

3. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I really don't see what all the fuss is about the camera. I find the pictures to be of great quality, especially compared to other mobile phones. I would like a video function though.

4. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Ugghh.

I never understood the fascination with cameras on phones. I guess it's nice if you need to take a picture that will remind you of something, but that usually doesn't take many megapixels. eh :rolleyes:

5. TheFam macrumors member

To me, the camera was never really THAT bad. I think people just have personal views of what a product should be, and if the product dosen't live up to their personal standards, its a failure. Its a CELL PHONE, with picture taking abilities, not a camera with phone calling abilities.

6. cgentry macrumors member

I'm really not a big photographer. That is to say, I don't take many photos... But, when I go to concerts, I love to leave with those little 30 sec. clips of video i get from my razr (thank God it's officially DONE in, what, 6 hours?). I don't use a camera enough to own one, really, so it was nice to have it just as a part of my phone. But, really, there are pros and cons about everything. And like someone else said, at least the photo capturing is pretty decent... You can't have your cake and eat it too! Hasn't Steve Jobs taught you anything?!

7. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

I'm not asking for high quality, just medium quality. haha. I mean phone's have had camera's on par with the iphone's for 6 years! I mean I want to be able to use the geotagging on my iphone and all of that.

I don't want to carry around a second camera with me, that's what i Love about the iphone. just 1 thing in ur pocket! :D

8. velvetelvis macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

i thought there was going to be a camera app that allowed you to do some minor adjustments before talking pics?

9. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

what kind of adjustments?

I'm hoping there will be one to allow video functionality

10. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

And the funny thing is...my Camera is only slightly more megapixels than my current phone's camera. My Camera is 2.11 Megapixels. My current phone is 1.3 megapixels. The iPhone 3G is 2 megapixels. So it's actually an upgrade for me on the low quality camera end for me. I rarely use the highest resolution simply because I don't need images that big. I use my CoolPix when I want to make sure to get a good quality photo or if I need flash/zoom. If I really want to shoot a high quality shot I normally have access to a much better Nikon Digital SLR that my dad owns. He's currently on his way back from a cruise to Norway though...and should be coming back with a ton of excellent photos on Saturday. He has his iPhone 2G with him right now, but I can assure you he took the pictures with the SLR because that's what it's made for.

The only things I've used my phone's camera for is stuff like a funny shot of my dog or a weird cloud formation outside of my office. Stuff that is spur of the moment stuff. If I have preparation time and access to my good camera, I always use it.

11. DanielQ macrumors member

I'm not so concerned about the camera. My Lg Chocolate has 1.3 MP, so 2 will be an improvement. However, what I really want is a camera. my current phone can record only 15 seconds... and the iphone has zero. I need to record like one minute. Or 5 minutes. or unlimited video as long as there's enough harddrive room.

12. velvetelvis macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

shutter speed, digital zoom, stop it from automatically getting darker when i take a pic in light. just some basic stuff.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Exactly.

IMHO, the purpose of a cell phone camera is to take a quick snap shot of something. It is for convenience.

The expectation is not the same as for a regular digital camera which is what you would use for high quality photos.

14. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

remember, $199 not $399, cost cuts somewhere, pull your head in, they need some thing to improve on for the 3rd gen iPhone

15. LotuSviLLe macrumors member

It's time to get over it and purchase the phone.

16. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

They cost $600 and $700. Those 199/299 figures are subsidized.