My Finder is all messed up. It drives me insane. Help ?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by hamiltonDSi, Jun 4, 2014.

1. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Hey guys,

I just purchased one month ago a 15" Late 2013 Macbook Pro with Retina Display and I love it.
    It came with 10.9.2 and I upgraded to 10.9.3 before putting my stuff on it.

There is one BUG that drives me INSANE (my old 13" Macbook on 10.9.3 did not have it) ; After every restart or log out my Finder is all messed up : the window is small and the icons are placed chaotic.

At first, I was ok with it because I rarely restart my computer or log out ; only when I update software or something like that but now I'm testing Yosemite on another partition and I switch between the two OS's like 3 or 4 times a day and every time I boot back into Mavericks I have to rearrange my Finder. My head is going to explode.

Can anyone help me fix this ?

Thank you.

Screenshot 1 : How it looks after a log out or reboot
    Screenshot 2 : How I arrange my Finder window & icons.

PS : I'm using the standard "Best for Retina" resolution, so it's not like the OS has to change to another res when loading up the system.

Attached Files:

2. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try this... open Finder then click the Go menu then Go to folder... then paste this in and enter. Scroll down and find the file com.apple.finder.plist and delete it. Now reboot and go to Finder and set it how you want.

Code:
    ~/Library/Preferences
    This file contains the Finder settings and sometimes gets corrupted. So by deleting it and restarting a new one is created.

4. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

It does not work.
    I tried it like 3 times. I'm going insane.

5. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Looks like you are unable to actually write out your view preferences. Try repairing permissions, repeat until no errors come back then reboot.

Or

I think that the Yosemite install messes around with saved settings as when I switch between mavs and Yosemite my mavericks toolbar becomes solid and not translucent.

Maybe try a nvram/pram reset etc too.

6. hologram macrumors 6502

You might also try deleting the .DSStore file. That's an invisible file that holds the info about window location, layout, icon view, etc. Sometimes that gets corrupted, too.

Download the free app Onyx :http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

Then, launch it, enter your password and click the "Maintenance" tab. Check the box for "Appearance of folders content", select the folder you're having a problem with (or leave it blank for the finder), and select whether you want to clear just that or all of the subfolders. If you choose all of the subfolders, it will reset all of your folders to the factory default.

From your images, it's your Applications folder that's messed up, so if that's the only one, select it. Otherwise, if the problem appears in other folders/directories too, select all subfolders.

Then arrange them how you want again, and hopefully this time it will stick.

7. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

The funny thing is that I have the problem since I got my Mac, before Yosemite was released.
    The first thing I did was to repair the permissions - no errors - but it does not help me.

I never tried a Nvram / Pram reset.
    Will try.
    Thanks.

8. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

First, thank you Hologram for your detailed post.
    It kinda work... my icons are not chaotic anymore but the window size still re-sets and the text is bellow apps, not on the right.

Anymore tips ?

Attached Files:

9. hologram macrumors 6502

You're welcome. I wish I had another idea for you, but I don't.

10. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

If you create a new user and log on and off as that user do you still have the issues?

11. hamiltonDSi, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014

hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Yes, same problem on a new user. The icons are not chaotic but still the window snaps back to the default size and the text is bellow the apps, not on the right.

12. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

That's a bit bizarre, at this point I would be doing a fresh install and then restoring my files tbh.

13. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

Your sorting by name right? Did you go into view options and set arrange by name?

14. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Yes and yes..

15. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

Weird, yeah in this case I would just back up my files and reinstall the OS and set up as new. New Time Machine restore or anything since that can just bring the problem back.

16. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Damn.
    I don't have time for that.
    I'm at medical school and boy, this semester is a thought one.

I'll live with it another couple of months and when Yosemite GM is released I'll do a fresh install of 10.10 and call it a day.

17. budgynana macrumors member

Unfortunately deleting plists and rebuilding them isn't reliable in Mavericks any more. Unless you can delete the plist and reboot in time it what happens is a new plist with the current settings is created from a cache. This isn't to say it's not possible, but the timing is difficult to get right. The process that does this is cfprefsd so you need to kill that before it can write a new file.

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I understand, and that is explained in this article. Like you said, you can kill the cfprefsd to stop the cached plist from replacing your deleted one.

The timing is only an issue with Finder since it restarts on its own. Other plists are not created unless the app is launched, so this timing issue does not come up.