my firefox has been really slow, spinnin pinwheel

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JosephEsquivel, May 9, 2009.

1. JosephEsquivel macrumors regular

past week firefox has been running slow, ill click or try to scroll down ap age and i get a few seconds of the spinning beachball. I have 4 gb of ram, so this kind of slow program shouldnt be happening, the other programs open are ichat and mail. Any help?

2. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Looks like it's time for FinallyFast!
    :p

But seriously. Check Activity Monitor and see what's eating up your CPU power.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If it is using a profile from wayback before Firefox 3.x saving the bookmarks, and tossing some old high MB 1-2.x files may work. (this is part of cleaning all the caches and the one database file that never got shrunk when delete history was used.)

The IPv6 speedup and the other one mentioned around here may also be helpful.

4. JosephEsquivel thread starter macrumors regular

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Turn off the ad-ons, if you recently updated Firefox they may be outdated.

Save the bookmarks.

Dump the cache.

Kill the history.

And if the profile if from 1-2.x era, kill the urlclassifier files.

---

If all the above leave 5-15MB files still in the user profile, aka places and such, and you have todays bookmark.json file you can probably be safe killing the places files -- since the bookmarks will be reimported from the newest bookmark.json file on restart.