My Firefox spellcheck does not work

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gsfgf, Feb 20, 2008.

1. gsfgf macrumors member

I just got my new MP and it's great. I do have one annoying issue, though. My spellcheck in firefox does not work. It underlines misspelled words, but when I right click on the word, it does not open the spellcheck menu. Instead I just get the regular right click menu. Have y'all ever experienced this before? I think I'll try reinstalling Firefox right now, but that's all I can think of.

Thanks for the help,
    Jeff

Edit: I reinstalled firefox. Same problem.

Edit Again: I just installed Firefox 3 and spellcheck works. I guess I'll stick with this one as long as it's stable.

2. skwij macrumors 6502

Remember that you have to download, install, and select an actual firefox dictionary for the spellcheck to work. The default Mac OS one isn't "seen" by Firefox by default.

3. jeremytarpley macrumors newbie

Try uninstalling your firefox extensions. There are several addons that are known to conflict with the contextual menus in ff. On my system, All in one gestures was causing the problem you describe. My spell check returned when I removed it. The good news is there is probably an alternative add-on for any that may be causing problems.

I tried FireGestures, it seems to be under active development and had all of the features I use. Unfortunately, it also seems to break the Firefox spell check.

I am now using the Mouse Gestures extension. Again, it seems to have all of the features I need and so far, my spell check seems to work with it. The preferences and options are not quite as easy to use as the FireGestures or All-in-One Gestures.