My first 24 hours with a used MBP (my first mac)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RagnarokRed, Jun 17, 2010.

1. RagnarokRed macrumors member

So I bought this used MBP off an old co-worker last night. It's been working very well so far. I was immediately impressed by how fast it booted up. Easily half the time it took my old HP Pavilion (which was probably newer than this MBP :rolleyes: ). Just messing around with everything blind has been interesting, and not too confusing with the help of some quick googling. I paid $950 for the machine (threw in a new battery as well) and I've got to say, I'm pleased with it considering I spent as much cash for a used mac as I could get for a new Windows notebook. It's a 15 inch 2008 model, a downsize in screen real estate from my last laptop, but it's not bothering me at all, hardly noticeable. I think it was a good deal, judging by what similar MBPs are going for on eBay, all of which seem to be in much worse condition (this thing is like-new, aside from one tiny, almost invisible dent in the corner by the DVI port).

I took some screenshots of it (below), I was wondering a few things. Just by looking at what I have on my menubar and in my apps, is there anything anyone can recommend that I may need or would find useful? When I install apps, do I have to continually go through the process of moving them to the 'Applications' folder, then ejecting the dl? Not complaining, it just seems odd and I'm wondering if there is some tool to circumvent this process.

I plan to eventually pick up a copy of Windows 7 and get some use out of bootcamp. When I do this, should I buy office for windows, and use it through bootcamp? Or is the mac version of office working decently (I used to hear how bad the mac version was so I'd just like to have a smooth word processor)

Last thing is it seems I can't get any of my e-mail accounts to work with mac mail. I'm sort of disheartened that I'm having so many problems with it considering how easy it is to check all of my e-mail accounts on my 3gs in less than a few breaths.

All in all though, I'm already not missing Windows PCs after dealing two HPs die on me and and iffy Dell for a little under a decade now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. catfish743 macrumors 6502

catfish743

Glad to see you enjoy it. Cnet posted 7 apps that you might want. Here's the link : http://cnettv.cnet.com/seven-essential-free-mac-apps/9742-1_53-50083742.html

Word on Mac works just fine for me. I see absolutely no need to use bootcamp to use a word processor.
    And what email accounts do you have? gmail works just fine usually.

3. RagnarokRed thread starter macrumors member

A bulk of them are yahoo e-mail accounts simply because a lot of clients and friends are familiar with them, those are the ones I'm having problems with.

4. Reapur macrumors regular

The Mac version of office is quite robust. I have it and use it. Contrary to what you have heard, I heard nothing but positive feedback regarding Mac office.

950 dollars seems expensive for a 2 year old MBP considering the current entry level MBPs are going for 1,019.00 direct from Apple (refurbished)

Apple is selling refurbished machines on their site which are newer for close to the same amount.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro

I feel you got really ripped off, and if I were you tell the guy your not happy with it and ask for your money back.

But just to be clear on the model you got, does it have a removable battery? or is it a built in battery?

5. RagnarokRed thread starter macrumors member

Those prices are all for 13 inch MBPs, I'm not willing to go for a smaller screen as my eyesight isn't that great. I've used them in apple stores, I prefer 15-17 inch MBPs

6. Reapur macrumors regular

Sorry I must be blind, I missed the part where you said 15 inch. my bad.

7. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Size of text is not dependent on screen size per se, but on pixel density.

Text size would be smallest on the 17" MBP; yes, even smaller than the 13".