My first Apple Store experience (and second too)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scott7975, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

Wanted to post my Apple Store experience that I had today. First let me say that I am not whining or complaining. It may appear that way but Im just posting my experience.

I live in Buffalo NY. They had them in stock yesterday but I got paid today. I looked online and it showed ship to store rather then available. So I called the store to see if they had them in stock. There were 2 calls in front of me and it took me a half hour to get through. I told the guy that I wanted the 2.3/16/512 15" high end model and he said oh yeah we have a lot of those in stock. I asked if he was sure, because the website said ship to store and not available. He reassured me they had plenty of them. I said ok, Ill be there in 30 mins.

Drove out to the store, Ive never been there before, and they put me on a list. I said, I know what I want... cant I just buy it and go. She said, no you have to wait for someone available. I asked how long and she told me about a half hour. I didn't understand why I would have to wait that long to purchase something but I said whatever put me on the list.

So about an hour later some dude finally comes out. He sat there questioning me on why I needed 16 gbs. I said look man... I know what I need, I know what I want. Can you please just get me the laptop. Then he tried talking out of it and into something else and then tried getting me to buy other stuff. I said look... either you get me what I want or I will find someone else who will.

Mind you, this is the first time I have ever bought a Mac.... In the meantime, my wife was playing and decided she like the 13' model. So I told him to grab one of those too. He pushes some buttons on his phone and says they will be out in a minute.

15 minutes go buy and a guy comes out with 1 laptop. Of course its the one my wife wanted and not the 15" that I need. He says Im very sorry but we just sold the last one. It still shows up that we have it because it hasn't finished processing yet. I was sooooo pissed. I said see dude if you hadn't been jerking me around and trying to talk me out of stuff, I would have had my laptop. He said in a non convincing way that he was sorry and that there was nothing he could do. I lost my temper a little bit with him because I had just wasted about 2 hours of my life, and me and my wife walked out with nothing.

I then checked at home and found that a store in Rochester, about an hour and a half away, showed in stock. It was too late to put money in the bank and order on the website to hold it so I drove out there. This store was much better. I got there and told them my story and said look.... I don't want to wait another hour just to find out there is no stock. She got me someone right away and sure enough they were out of stock. I just wasted the drive but I wasn't mad this time. This store took care of me right away instead of making me wait around all day.

Then I though about it and asked if they had the last model in stock and they did. I thought to myself this would be good enough for me and its probably cheaper. I was wrong on that latter part. The last model that was comparable 2.7/ 16/ 512 15".... was 2599. I said they didn't drop the price? Why would they charge the same amount for older equipment as newer equipment. He said well... they did drop the price, those used to be 2799. I said yeah but still.... its the same amount as the newer model. That makes absolutely no sense. I needed something though, so I said ok apply my education discount and Ill take it. He told me I cant use edu discount on older hardware. I was blown away. No stock of new stuff and old stuff is 200 bucks more then new stuff. Absolutely makes no sense.

I took the long drive home empty handed. Total of 6 hours of my day wasted. Still want one. Im debating on ordering it and having it shipped or waiting to see if they get more stock. Id prefer not to wait an entire week, but we'll see what happens.

2. Domdog31 macrumors regular

Wow. What a crock of sh*% at the first store, I never had an experience like that at any Apple store but have elsewhere. Hang in there and know it cant get any worse can it?! Lol

3. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Yikes, I can't believe that. That's horrible luck at the first store. I didn't realize that their laptops went that fast... I've always had good luck after checking online but my store is also only 15 minutes away. I understand wanting to vent though, it's all you can do when things go so horribly frustratingly wrong.

I've had both good and bad experiences at apple stores. One thing I have noticed is they definitely talk to you about your purchase, making sure it's a proper fit for you and try to save you cash because they think the computer is overkill for your needs, etc. I imagine this is actually a good thing for your general consumer but for people like us, we know exactly what we want when we walk in the door.

4. Scott7975 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I was mad at the store, but cooled down shortly after. Like I said, Im not whining or complaining. It definitely helps to vent here a little. Everyone has to blow off steam.

I wasn't even mad that they didn't have it in stock. What I was mad about is that it took 2 hours just to find that out. That doesn't even include my drive time. I literally spent around 2 hours in the first store.

The second store I wasn't mad at all. I took a chance by driving that far. I was happy they got me that information right away rather then keeping me standing around.

If they are going to have people standing around that long then they should have a lounge with chairs and maybe some free coffee or something. Apple products are not cheap. They can afford to show a customer that they excel at service.

What they should do is have an actual counter that people can go up to and purchase what they want right away. I understand them supposedly wanting to make sure you only buy what you need, but not everyone is an idiot. I did my research and I knew exactly what I wanted. It should not take me 2 hours to get it, or hear they don't have any.

The guy barely said sorry. That doesn't cut it. That's poor customer service. For the hassle with the wait time he could have offered me something. Discounted Apple Care, 10% off an accessory, 50 bucks off when I do buy the laptop. Something, anything but just a weak "sorry."

Its all good though. I may have to wait a week, but I will have one eventually.

5. Scott7975 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wanted to update my little adventure....

I put my money in the bank after my classes and went home to order the macbooks online.

My wifes 13" was still in stock at the store. So I ordered that store pickup. The 15" was still not in stock so I ordered that ship to store. It gave me a date of Nov 1. Yuck a week away.

An hour later I got the text that I could pick up the 13". We ate lunch and then went and picked it up. I got home from that and looked at the website and noticed that the store had the 15's in stock again. I went to cancel my order and it was too late because it was in "Preparing for shipping" mode.

So I contacted customer service and asked why can I not pick one up that is in stock. It is not fair that I have to wait an entire week for an instock item, and anyone else can just go pick one up right now. I dumped over 4 grand today. He said there was only 2 options... I can cancel my order and wait 5 business days for a refund or I can wait for it to be shipped. Either way I would have to wait a week.

I told the guy my entire story and he agreed that it wasn't right. He got his manager on the phone with me and still there was nothing he could do. He did say that this was all wrong but still couldn't do anything.

What he did do though, because he said I was treated unfairly is offer me an accessory for free. He started with a notebook sleeve but I already had one. The next option he offered me was this: G-Technology 2TB G-DRIVE Professional Strength External Hard Drive. I had planned on getting an external and said ****, this will save me some money.

I am still not happy that I have to wait an entire week for something that is in stock, in their own store, right down the street. Giving me a $200 external hard drive, for my bad experience, was pretty decent customer service though. I commend the manager for that much.

6. IndoX macrumors regular

Apple stores have a concierge system in place if the store gets too packed. It won't matter if you already know what item you want because there are people ahead of you - meaning they have to go first and they don't have anyone available.

I remember one time I went to a store and I was told the same thing. I told them I knew what I wanted and the guy responded "let me rephrase what's I just said: I don't have anyone available to sell you the computer at the moment". I thought it was clever and only had to wait 5 minutes. I agree 30 minutes is way too long to wait.

Also, it sucks with the online order. But the preparing to ship process is the cut off to cancel orders. :/ hope your experience is better next time.

7. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

OP, You should reach out to Apples Executive Customer Relations Department, and share your negative in-store experiences.

Also, I would have demanded to speak to the Store Manager while there. Not someone making $9 an hour to BS you around.

My Local Apple store in Tacoma, WA would totally pull some crap like this. (the reason I'm willing to dive an hour away to shop/receive quality service)

Reading your post got me pissed. lol

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

While I love the Apple store, I've never bought a computer, iPhone or iPad there (and I've owned 12 in all). Ordering online and being able to get exactly what you want, is a better way if you're buying a new model, even if you might wait a bit longer. And you get to have fun over here in the ordered/tracking/shipping threads.

I can't fault them for making you wait (after all, it's just first-come, first served), but the sales experience was pretty bad, even if you'd ended up being able to buy what you want.

Anyway, glad you at least got a hard drive out of the deal.

9. Postcert macrumors newbie

I would have definitely asked to speak to a store manager.

I actually went in today to see if there was any way I can hold onto the current IvyBridge Mbpr that I had purchased 14 days prior. Went in and spoke to an associate and explained my predicament with my new laptop coming in next Wednesday. He told me he would be right back and 5 minutes later he came back with his manager's card and written approval for a one week extension. While I do have another older laptop that is perfectly fine, I was really happy they were willing to help me out.

10. Scott7975 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes that was some good customer service there.

----------

Im thinking about writing a feedback email to them. I would include that the manager of the online store CS was very nice though. He offered me some good options for my poor experience. I was pretty happy with that. He also gave me his email addy and direct phone line if I have any further concerns.

Yes, I do like the online process. It is very easy to configure ... over all simple UI. I also like the added options for notifications and such.

I don't fault them for making me wait really. I fault them for the guy trying to talk me out of what I wanted and taking so long to do so that I missed out of getting mine. I also think there should be a lounge there if this is there system. Furthermore, I think there should be a counter for people to just go up and say "I want this" get it and go. I don't need a counseling session.

11. skwirl341 macrumors member

You have to "put your money in the bank" when you get paid? It's 2013, set up direct deposit. It'll save you from having to wait a week next time.

12. chetzar macrumors newbie

Lots of small business owners, especially private contractors, still get paid in cash or check because it is impractical for them to accept credit/debit.

13. Scott7975 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do private contract work. I am my own employer.

14. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

if you used a credit card it wouldn't have been a big deal about the 5 day refund thing. I'm assuming you used a debit card which takes the money instantly from your account?

15. Scott7975 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, debit card. I don't do credit cards. I may be my own employer but I'm not wealthy. My credit is ok but I don't like to rely on credit cards. I put myself in hole when I was younger and it took a long time to dig out. I don't want to put myself in that situation again. I have a couple smaller limit cards that I use rarely just to keep some type of credit. Other then that, if I cant pay cash for it then I don't need it. Ive used that motto for the last 20 years and I do well under it lol.

16. senrab macrumors member

I'm originally from Buffalo. Sorry to hear that dude, Rochester is a haul too.

Personally, I've hardly ever had a good experience at an Apple Store anywhere (whether it be Buffalo, the DC area where I now live, or anywhere in between). I find the employees to be rude. Whenever I want help, it's only to get something I can't get myself (the big-ticket items, of course). It would take them about 90 seconds. I have no questions and I need no hand-holding. I stopped going there unless it's something I can take off the shelf myself. I apologize to those of you who work there, but I've just never had a good time there.

----------

I didn't see your post after I just posted my reply about the line to be waited on. I understand, maybe I should be more annoyed at all the other people in there :D

----------

Doesn't your debit card have a Visa or Mastercard logo on it so you can use it as a credit card? I hardly ever pay with actual credit, I use the debit card as a credit card every time. I don't trust putting my pin number out there.

17. mokeiko macrumors 6502

The Apple concierge system should be abolished. You can never find someone to help you, there's always at least 3 employees talking to eachother, or be put into a system where you have to wait at least 30 minutes to be helped. Wouldn't it be great if they had a rack/shelf system where you grab your item and scan it through a self checkout counter, now that would be awesome!

mokeiko

18. pat.micunnis macrumors regular

They should a "drive-thru" window for those that "know what they want and just want to get out of the store" ... this would be staffed by just 1 employee that is entering your order - and he dispatches the order to have a runner grab the machine you want from the backroom.. And rings you up.

Even Personal Pickup is a bear sometimes... where they have to log you into the system to be helped.

19. Scott7975 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I find the store service to be terrible. I cant fault people for being computer stupid, but I can fault the store business model to force their "concierge" service on you. I should be able to go and get what I want without having to wait for that crap.

As for my debit card.... It does run through like credit online. I don't input my pin number... it still takes the money as soon as Apple prepares the computer for shipping.

My contention is that it wasn't build to order. It was just the high end, base stock model. If they suddenly had them in store at any time, I should be able to just pick it up. The one they are sending can replace their stock. The money goes to the same company.... or they can just stop sending it, again it wasn't special order. They took a box and put it inside another box and slapped a shipping label on it. If it doesn't leave then take it back out of the shipping box, and put it back on a shelf.

Completely agree

I also think the personal pickup sucks. I went to pick up my wife's 13" and had to wait again. I supposedly got put in front of the line but still had to wait. Best Buy has a counter for store pickups. That is a much better system. If there is still a line you can either wait in it or come back later and check it. Something in my mind is more at ease when I can see how many people are waiting in front of me.

On a side note, I got my free 2TB G Drive today :D

20. senrab macrumors member

did you ever end up getting what you wanted? Or did you just go the Best Buy/online route?

21. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Last time I dealt Apple, I custom ordered a 15" MBP with a matte screen, to get shipped to the store as I lived in a bad area. It came in 3 days later, and when I called a week later, they couldn't find it. It wasn't until I tried to cancel the order that it "magically" appeared at the apple store.

22. Scott7975 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I got the laptop on Thursday afternoon. I was sent a 2 TB G Drive from the Apple store as well. Also, the physical store called my wife about her purchase on the 13" as like a survey type of thing. My wife told him about our incedent and he offered me some free stuff when I picked the laptop up. I chose a bag which was like 80 bucks.

I was dissapointed with the wait. I was dissapointed with how they do things in the store. The customer service was excellent though.

23. sabbyp macrumors regular

sucky customer service at that first store, but you got free stuff and can't complain at that!

I know it's pointless now but it's funny to think you could've drove downstate and picked up those machines no sweat that day from somewhere in nyc ;)

24. senrab macrumors member

Still would've taken longer than his 6 hour odyssey from waiting at Apple in Buffalo to driving to Victor, and back home! :)

----------

That's cool you got free swag along with the machine. The value of the 2TB drive + the bag is way over what you spent in gas on your "side trip" to Victor, which is on the OTHER frigging side of Rochester. LOL