My first collectable!

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by dummptyhummpty, Jul 16, 2011.

1. dummptyhummpty macrumors regular

May 4, 2005
    I've never thought about collecting Macs until recently. A coworker has an old Macintosh LC and Macintosh SE on display in his office and that got me thinking about getting a lime green G3 iMac to put on my desk as a joke. Of course that would take up what little space I have (he has an office), but I'm still thinking about picking one up. I was searching Craigslist earlier today to see what Macs were out there and came across someone selling a G4 cube for $50. I gave the guy a call and after a 45 minute drive, I am now the proud owner of a G4 cube! For a bit more, I also got the airport card and he threw in a mighty mouse and ADC to VGA adapter. I'm not sure what plans I have for it, but I'm excited to have come across this. I still plan to get a lime G3 iMac, a color classic and possibly a Power Mac 5500/5400 series since I remember using those in elementary school.
  2. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

Aug 22, 2006
    Southeastern USA
    Collectible cube

Nice score! That's a very collectible machine, the cube. And it takes up lots less space on your desk than an iMac!
  3. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Mar 2, 2009
    Congrats!!! That is a great price for a cube also. Enjoy it and have fun!
  4. pagansoul macrumors 65816

Aug 10, 2006
    I want a cube so badly but told myself I was not going to put any money in any PPC macs. Now I'm looking for only the case to turn into a fish tank.
  5. gkarris macrumors 604

Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
  6. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2007
    Yeah I'm jealous.. my Craigslist is just full of people who want $300 for iBook G4s and the occasional $200 PowerMac G4.
  7. dummptyhummpty thread starter macrumors regular

May 4, 2005
    Thanks for the replies! Yes, it was a great deal and that's why I jumped on it! It's been sitting on my desk at work for a few days and today I spent some down time installing 10.4 (it came with 10.3). I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with it though.

I might be picking up a 5400 this weekend ($15) as I have memories of using the 5x00 series in elementary school.

One last thing, after picking up the cube, I stopped off at my girlfriend's house to show her. Her grandma was really curious as to what it was and was surprised that it was a computer not to mention she was fascinated with how small it is. I wonder what she would say about the mini!