My first CssZenGarden submission.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by chepistolas, Jun 13, 2007.

1. chepistolas macrumors member

chepistolas

Hello, so I tinkered with the html and css files that the site provides you with for some hours, and this is what I finished with. It has no images and its just all text with color, you can say its VERY simple. I showed it to some people and they said it looks like some 5th grader made it in minutes, I don't believe them so I am asking you guys what you think, is it really too simple and plain?

gomezarmando.net

Thanks for your input.

2. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I like simple, easy to find links and text, the way you have composed this page. But, then, I'm only in fifth grade.:p ;) :D

3. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Definitely clean looking design. Very clear and, dare I say it, Web 2.0-looking. Well done.

5. operator macrumors regular

I also like it. If by "created by a 5th grader", they meant an untalented amateur, I believe they were wrong. It looks very well designed, and pleasing to the eye. However it is very simple, and compared to other accepted submissions, I doubt it will be accepted, based on the simplicity. Why not add a few well placed background images to enhance the creativity? Either way, good work!

6. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

that looks very nice. Those people that say it is by a 5th grader probably think this is good

7. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

It looks good, but it won't get added to the mix because there's no real theme to it.

8. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Are you a graphic designer?

Only graphic designers are meant to submit to that site I thought.

While plain and simple, I think you need a few more visual elements to make it stand out.

It's meant to showcase what can be done with CSS.

9. yagran macrumors 6502a

while i agree that the OP site is cool, you cant say that 2advanced is a bad site. its a very well produced peice of flash. you need to grow up in your naivety, just because you know css doesnt mean ITS ALWAYS best, and everything else is bad, Flash has a presence n the web and here to stay, it can be programmed far beyond the capabilities of html and css. so yeh, just grow up. thanks

10. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

i didn't mean it that way. I just find that 2advanced is too cramped and it is quite slow on my school craptop. I like simple

11. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I'll walk the line here. I can respect the work and attention to detail that went into 2advanced, but after the dust clears, I don't think it's all that well designed. Yes, it's pretty, but it's a huge drag on my system and a bear to navigate.

Just my $0.02...

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I love that design, though I think they're right about it not meeting the standards of the CSS Zen Garden (not quality standards, just category standards). Then again, you never know. It's certainly not fifth grade work, however, that's a very creative minimalistic design (and everyone knows it's the minimalistic designs that are the hardest to get just right).

jW

13. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I get no Zen-like experience viewing this template.

its bland.
    its typical.
    its uninspired.
    its barely alive.

a couple of CSS attributes does not a good template make.

14. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

A bit harsh, I feel :) It's decent design - clean and clear if not attractive and easy on the eyes. I agree that it isn't forging any new territory, but the territory is does forge is familiar and well done. It won't make CSSZenGarden simply because it's a fairly basic CSS design (CZG likes a bit more flash and an overall theme), but I don't know that I'd go so far as to say "it's barely alive." :)

15. chepistolas thread starter macrumors member

chepistolas

Thanks for your input. I know I am not a graphic designer, and I know that CSSZenGarden wants to show people the power of css, but simply adding background pictures to some divs is not taking full advantage of css. I agree that I need a theme, and if I don't have one I can only wish to get my submission accepted, but some of the sites that do get accepted are not really that inspiring either. I will apply a theme, for all they know I am a graphic designer so they can accept my submission. Again, thanks to all, its nice knowing it can't be easily reproduced by some 5th grader.

16. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Ah, but it is about making best use of images to give graphical consistency and interest.

Edit: Text also doesn't scale well at all.