My first encounter with EDGE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daneoni, Jan 8, 2008.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

so recently, I've been hanging around paddington (London, UK) and first saw the blue E about two days ago. I thought i was just passing through an E area but I've covered an extensive part of paddington and have seen coverage throughtout

First off it is slow but is better than GPRS. Pages load a tad faster and email/weather all check at almost the speed of wifi. With youtube however, I've found the iphone downloads the lowest quality video (to allow quicker streaming/downloads) so you end up with about 10fps or something like that which is barely watchable...things get worse with fast paced vids like football/racing. Overall you definately know you're on EDGE but its also significantly better than GPRS

During this period I've also found I've been stressing the phone alot as I have no access to a computer. Hence I've been doing everything on the phone. Battery life has been surprisingly very good. With constant browsing/emailing/youtubing as well as calls/txt I've gotten two full days of useage with about 20% charge left

I also (well someone else to be honest) dropped the phone and it held up well. No scratch and the phone (which I'm typing this from) works perfectly

Overall I'm happy with my discoveries thus far

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good onya'..

I was wiping a tear, after hearing about "your first drop story" 'cause my first drop had the same results and kept on ticking. I ended-up buying a Belkin Acrylic Clear Case immediately after! Have you noticed that WiFi is at least 10X faster than the Edge Network? At least it is for me, since I make an effort to use my iPhone especially on public transit that has the free WiFi, and near the local colleges and universities. :cool:

3. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

Haaaa, you should consider yourself lucky. Free wi-fi ? Wow. That won't come here for another few years, I think...

4. Aries326 macrumors 6502

San Francisco is working on a project to provide free wi-fi. I wish more cities would do this. I know most, if not all the rest stops on the I90 Thruway in NY have free wi-fi. That's a big help if you need to look something up on your iPhone but can't stand the slow EDGE service.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Some of us...

have been able to take advantage of San Francisco's free WiFi on a trial basis; it's just a matter of time when the plan will be fully implemented. :cool:

6. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

You guys are lucky, the only free wifi we get is via The Cloud and thats not city wide but closely knit to central London and then it can be spotty

7. aanndrew macrumors member

people say edge is slow I can't see whats the problem with it count yourself lucky I got GPRS ugh !!!! Its pretty nippy too I've used 55 mb of data on GPRS

I can't wait till I can finally use edge for youtube videos
    Does anyone know what the data limits is on o2 I know its unlimited but they must stop the service when you hve reached a ott amount dont they consider it over use or something.

I haven't got wifi how do you get it at home and how much do you pay if you use a home wifi conextion ?
    I'm in the Uk btw

Coment back

8. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

its a 200mb limit on data but even thats flexible. I think you pay £7.50/monthly for standalone EDGE/GPRS/3G package depending in which combination your phone can connect to and you also pay around £10 a month for standalone Cloud wifi on the go I forget the limit on that one but its x000 pages a day

Connecting to your own wifi network at home or any free hotspot should be free. To connect, go to settings>wifi and pick a spot. If you have a password on your home network it will ask you foe it. Enter it and you should be good to go