My First Ever Mac - MBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ArmCortexA8, Sep 3, 2010.

1. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

Hi all

Firstly, I cannot believe I am typing this message right now, and maybe I'm suffering shock still, but two days ago I purchased my first ever Mac computer - a MacBook Pro 13". I wanted to go the 15", but the price gap (especially in Australia) is way too high, plus I wont be playing games anyway. I will be using Office, internet, email, etc.

Background: I had and Asus G1S laptop (Core2 Duo 2.2 Santa Clara Chipset) with Windows 7 x64 and a Corsair X128 SSD, and hell that laptop flew on everything, until one day I went to wake up the laptop from sleep and noticed there was nothing on the screen - no backlight - no LCD activity at all. I forced it off turned it back on, no post screen and no images. Hell, couldn't even do video out via VGA to a monitor, so either the motherboard has failed or the GPU has died. It was almost 3 years old. For around the same price as the MBP 13" I could have got an ultra powerful Asus laptop with huge screen, BD reader, Windows 7, Intel Core i5 or i7 processor etc - so more powerful hardware for less $$$$, but in the end I decided it was time for a change.

So, in the end I sacrificed a larger screen, and more powerful hardware and Windows for a MBP. The advantage is that the MBP uses DDR3, not DDR2 which my Asus did. So, over 20 years of using Windows and beta testing and I jump to Mac OSX. What amazes be is the build quality of the MBP compared to even the top of the range Windows laptops which are still mainly plastic and haven't change style much over the last few years. The big shocker is its so damn quiet, cant hear the fan or hard disk and no HDD indicator to verify everything is working.

I think I made a good decision, so this new OS will take a while to learn and would appreciate any hints / tips.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Congratulations. Have a look at the following links (if you haven't already), as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

hello congratulations on joining the family =D, You will love you new MBP and it is quite the rocket itself =D I guess the first thing you need to realize about OSX is that as everyone says it is very very user friendly, if you think it should be somewhere or do something it generally is exactly like that, if you need to find anything on your computer it will be in your finder or as i have renamed it the "god box" it house all your applications, music, folder, documents, hard drives and external disks, and just about everything else, opening your system preferences for every program you use will help you setup and customize every program to work as you prefer. most people do not bother to check out there system preferences and complain that things look different or don't do it as they want it done but that will get your computer on your side. I suppose the only thing left is just love your mac.

let me know if you have any questions =D

4. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Congrats and welcome. Hopefully you are also learning your finger swipes for the trackpad. No other computer comes close to the MBP trackpad and ease of use. I love mine.

5. rodrigo7 macrumors newbie

lol. what a big coincidence. I myself have an Asus G1S and am currently looking to buy a macbook pro. It's been almost 3 years that I've been using this laptop, and asus really did a great job.
    it ends that I 'grew up' and don't have time to waste playing games anymore. Right now I'm on the fence as to which one I should get (13" or 15") and the money difference is huge ($600).
    I'm glad you're happy with your new (first) mac and I hope I'll be joining the club soon.

6. ArmCortexA8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Asus G1S is a powerful laptop considering its age, and I myself also never used it for games, as I have consoles for that purpose but its a very fast laptop with Windows 7 x64 and an SSD - it screams along thats for sure. Im still baffled why the LCD suddenly died after it being on standby for the whole day. I opened the lid pressed a key to bring it back to life and no backlight and no post screen after a cold reboot and no video out and the backlight doesn't even come on - something has definitely died.

I chose the MBP 13" because of price, the 15" price difference it way too much and Apple should be pricing these closer to Windows 7 equivalent systems - they need way more aggressive pricing as the current price gaps are way too large. The MBP 13" / 15" are based on Core2 Duo processors which are now old and replaced by the i3 / i5 / i7, so these C2D based MBP's should be quite a lot cheaper.

7. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

First off, congratulations on your first Mac. We're all here to help fellow Mac users so take advantage of the wealth of knowledge in these forums.

As for the pricing of MacBook's, you're paying not only for the hardware but for the software that makes it a Mac. OS X is a perfect match of user friendly interfaces with very powerful capabilities. From the beginner to the power user, OS X's flexibility allows for a full featured experience out of the box.
    You're also paying for the truly state of the art design that Apple uses in their products.

Here's a few films to watch to introduce you to the Mac universe (most are on Netflix):

Objectified
    MacHeads
    Welcome To Macintosh

Here are some blogs to follow:

Daring Fireball
    Cult of Mac
    TUAW
    engadget

Enjoy your first Mac, it won't be your last!

8. Warbitrary macrumors regular

All 15" MBP have i5 / i7 processors since April 2010. Only the 13" have C2Ds.

9. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

Congrats. I just got my first Mac about 2 weeks ago and I love it.

10. alecthemacboi96 macrumors newbie

congrats i just got my first mac about a week ago it is awesome and is extremely quite i love it soo much

11. Covart Guest

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

13. altecXP macrumors 65816

14. ajax43 macrumors regular

I just got my first ever Macbook pro 13" in June and it is my first mac too. I have been a PC guy since the mid-90's and never thought I would own a Mac. The I got an iphone, ipad etc, and decided to take the (more expensive) plunge into the Apple field. I love it so far.:D

15. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

欢迎!
    Welcome! :D

The build quality is very high, I'm sure you will become well acquainted with OS X relatively, fast enjoy your purchase

16. mk1ap macrumors member

17. ArmCortexA8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, my Corsair X-128SSD is not installed - its a 128GB. I could put it in but the included hard disk is 250GB. It cost me AU$550 so I should use it, but terrified upgrading the hard disk on my own. Iv'e upgraded laptop / PC hard disks but never Apple.

18. ArmCortexA8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, but honestly I miss Windows as I do batch files and network configurations and use the Command Prompt, plus a couple of my Windows apps wont work on Mac. 20 years of using Windows and its apps, and now I have a completely new OS. Hardware vs Price, Windows wins almost all the time, yes no Unibody etc, but hardware / performance for $$$$ to me is more important.

I could have go an Asus with a 17" LCD / 4GB DDR 3 / Core i5 or Core i7 / 500GB hard disk / Windows 7 x64 / more USB ports all for the same price as a Mac based on the now defunct Core2 Duo processor which my Asus G1S had 3 years ago. I do feel ripped off. I go for more hardware / faster hardware at the best price.

Apple: Older less powerful hardware at more cost with better system enclosure quality
    Windows: Newer and faster hardware with more capacity at a cheaper price and usually more features

19. JDNGuru macrumors member

One of the main reason I joined this forum, good pointers from existing users. I am in the same boat. Just purchased my first mac ever, a 13" MBP yesterday from Apple.

20. altecXP macrumors 65816

It's very easy, just the 6 or so screws for the bottom panel, then 2 screws for the HDD holder and the 4 screws on the drive, then the revers, I can do it in about 5min now. OS X on an SSD is great.

21. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

If you like Command Prompt you may want to try Terminal the Mac version with much more power, except you will have to learn the Unix commands

22. ArmCortexA8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like to stick to what I know, and the price vs performance issues I raised are valid, Apple is overpriced for the age of its internal hardware inside the enclosure. I regret not getting the Asus laptop, but have 14 days to make up my mind. I've lost too much software compatibility jumping ship to Mac, plus I cant do any more Microsoft software testing as Im using a Mac - so basically I have alienated myself by switching, and at the same time losing software functionality which I require and is only on Windows. Using the Mac has been fun, but the problem is I got less screen real estate and older hardware for the price and Im not happy about that.