My first extensive Mac experience

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ThunderMasterMind, Jun 20, 2016.

1. ThunderMasterMind macrumors 6502

ThunderMasterMind

My parents just bought a new Mac, a 13 inch MacBook Pro retina (base model) to replace their almost decade old Dell Inspiron 530 desktop, which was top of the line at the time. A storm blew by last Friday and struck a trasformer 20 feet from our house taking out our wireless house phones, the kitchen TV, our internet modem/router, the ethernet port on the computer and a USB port (the one the mouse used oddly enough). Computer still works fine though. Anyway since they don't know how to transfer their data from their PC to their Mac, I'm the one that has to do it, which of course I don't mind at all. This allowed me to have a go at OS X personally for the first time (El Capitan btw). First impressions were pretty nice, I love the laptop and El Capitan is alright, I guess. I personally don't care for the design. If you have seen the rants I've had about iOS 7+, you'll know what I'm talking about. For some reason the flat textures on here just makes things look pixelated and blurry and I don't know why. I pulled up an image of OS X Mavericks to compare, and it looked way more crisp and pleasing to look at. I honestly think Apple didn't think straight about this design, because for one thing, most apps I've seen, even ones Apple has made, they all use skeumorphic design or 3D textures and shadows, and it looks horrible against this flat design. For me to be the design freak I am, I feel like the operating system doesn't belong on this computer, because it just doesn't look right. Aside from that, performance is good, but it could be better. I've seen things lag that really shouldn't at all and it really annoys me... especially folders in Mission Control. It works well and is a hell of a lot smoother than Windows wishes to be, but I feel the looks are just holding it back.

The keyboard on this laptop is definitely different than the one on my laptop, which will take a while to get used to, which has made my typing speed greatly decrease, but I love the backlighting, I love the feel of it, but I need to get used to it.

The Retina display oddly enough looks 10x better than my iPad and iPhone, which is odd, but its probably from me never using one on a computer. Its fantastic, but once again, that flat design is killing it.

The force touch trackpad on it is amazing. Its slick, quick, and its great being able to click anywhere on the surface. I really don't see the point of the hard press though because its defiantly not as useful as 3D touch on the iPhone, but I don't mind it at all.

With a 2.2GHz dual core Core i5, 8GB of RAM, integrated graphics, and a 128GB SSD, this laptop runs very, very well. Overall, I like it and defiantly see myself getting one in the future, but a 15 inch because my current laptop is a 15 inch. (being young and on a tight budget, I'm looking at certified refurbished)

I give the laptop 5 stars, but the operating system 3.

Tell me your thoughts about this, I'd like to hear them!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Personally I don't mind the look of the OS (I'm on El Cap at the moment). I can appreciate people's concerns, but when you go back and use Mavericks or iOS 6, they just look and feel ... dated.

The OS does what I need it to, which to me has always been more important than how it looks. It's not buggy for what I use it for (LPX, FCPX), and I work quicker with the multitouch gestures and multiple desktops than I did with Spaces on Snow Leopard.

The worst OS I ever used was Lion. That was a resource-hogging disaster. Second was probably Yosemite. I was running 10.10 for a long time due to Native Instruments not updating their plugins for 10.11. It wasn't objectively terrible, just a bit of a slow OS.

My main gripe with El Cap is that they've crippled Disk Utility's functionality.