My first gen Macbook pro still runs like a champ

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TAJones99, Jan 18, 2010.

1. TAJones99 macrumors member

TAJones99

I have a 2006 macbook pro 2.0ghz 2 gigs of ram and running snow leopard, I haven't had any problems at all with it snow leopard boots fast and runs fast, I been thinking about buying a new unibody macbook pro but my current one has been so good to me I don't see why right now to just jump and get a new one.

I just want to hear from people that still have the older macbook pro and the new one see what you guys think bout me keeping my pro.

Thanks

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That's nice to know. Glad to hear the Core Duo is still running strong. That MacBook Pro was the one that made me fall in love with the lineup. At the time, it was a beautiful machine.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I have the latest (I might as well take the opportunity to say this before Apple makes it not so in 8 days) unibody MBP and I can say that it's better than the original MBP design. Multitouch trackpad, chiclet keys, brighter screen, and better color gamut are all huge additions. I would definitely say keep it, as you probably won't get a good price for it since your AppleCare warranty is probably already expired and it's pretty old. Give it to a family relative or your parents. It's still a strong machine, with a great aestheticly pleasing design and OS.

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

My 2.2GHz C2Duo is still running strong too!
    I bumped RAM to 4GB and HD to 320GB in 2008 tho.

It's probably going to be replaced this summer (I said that a year ago too but I didn't really find any valid reason to buy a new one).

5. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

The newer generation will have more L2 cache and DDR3 1066 RAM. However, if it runs fine you won't see much improvement really.

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

There are indeed improvements, but not much!
    Lack of expresscard (for those who need that) and some people (like me) would say that the chiclet keyboard was a downgrade..

7. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

My wife has the same machine and loves it. Upgraded the HD to 320GB. SuperDrive died and have to replace it. Anyone know where the best place to buy a replacement?

Too bad it won't take more than 2GB RAM. Would love to throw 4GB into it.

8. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

My original 2006 1.83ghz Core Duo Macbook Pro was ran over at 55mph. After ordering a replacement case and optical drive off eBay, i rebuilt it to look like new. I then gave it to my brother who has been using it since. He has had no problems and actually refuses to get a new Macbook because the one he has works just fine...

9. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

That's one insane story! I think after anything no matter the build quality would shatter at 55, let alone getting run over!:apple:

10. Artmuzz macrumors 6502

I have a white Macbook 2006 model and it still works like a champ. In the 3 years I have had it I haven't had a single problem with it.:) Its been the best and most reliable computer i have ever owned.

It is just a shame I cannot say the same for Apple's newer MacBooks as over a year ago i bought a 2008 model MacBook Pro and had some problems with the DVD drive and just over a week ago I bought a brand new 2009 model MacBook Pro and had to send it back as it had a dodgy DVD drive:mad:

Apple have went down hill with their computers IMO. However Mac OSX is still a great OS.

Art

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're happy with it, there's no real reason to upgrade. Its great that you're happy with your MBP like that and I hope I can echo your comments with my 08 MBP in a few more years :)

My goal is to keep this beast for at least 4 years if not more. The performance of these machines now are such that they're more power then what I need (and possibly many others) so the itch to upgrade is less so. Its not like I'm going to import images into LightRoom any faster and the editing is fast enough.

Good luck with your machine.

12. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

I have a 2007 MBP 2.2 gigHz upgraded to 4 GB RAM and a 320 G HD and it is still going strong. It is doing at least as well as when it was new over two years ago. This is something that I could never say about any of my old PC's. At two years they were always crashing and giving me that awful blue screen of death. I don't think I'll be upgrading quite yet unless the newest MBP soon to be released offer some major upgrades that are hard to resist.

13. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Girlfriend has the original macbook pro 2.0 core duo. My only real thoughts for upgrading would be more ram than 2 gigs and also because the first ones run so hot. CPU, screen and design aren't that big of a deal to me.

14. Nehim macrumors newbie

I purchased the MBP 17 2.33 back in April of 2006. It's been a great machine up until the last year. In the last 10 months I've had 2 logic boards replaced, the battery burst, my optical drive started malfunctioning and something else happened that I can't remember. Applecare is a lifesaver! Sadly, it runs out in 2 months.

So, I called Apple. They checked my history and they decided to rectify the situation by sending me the newest 17in MBP to replace my current machine. It ships today!

I love Apple!:D:D

15. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I'm still pleased with my first gen. black MacBook. I experienced some topcase cracks in the early part of ownership but the problem was covered under AppleCare. I'm on the third topcase but so far it hasn't cracked -- it's been over 18 mos. since I've had it replaced. I think I'm done with topcase replacements here. :)

So many times (usually after an Apple event) I have wanted to upgrade to the latest and greatest only to not be able to justify it. I don't want to get rid of my MacBook "just because" and besides two notebooks are overkill for me. I'm going to continue using this computer until it no longer does what I need it to do.

16. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I still have my late 2006 MPB, and it's great. Most reliable computer I've ever owned, which is a great thing considering it's also the most expensive computer I've ever owned. And since I'm not rich, and a college student with limited funds I'm going to use this bad boy until it dies and then I'll crawl to my father and beg him to help me buy a new one. Hopefully by then, MPB will have Blu-ray drives in them.

17. doctoree macrumors 6502

Thats nice to hear. I bought my first Mac Book Pro in 2008 and I'm still on my original plan to use it 7 years. So its 2 down, 5 more to go :)
    The cool thing is that software which can fully support its hardware is only now coming out slowly and catchign up: 64bit (it has 6gb of ram), SSE 4 (the early 08 MBPs already had that!) and Open CL.

18. tatical macrumors member

I'm selling my first MBP to a co-worker today (15" C2D @ 2.16GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD @ 7200 RPM, ATI x1600, new battery). Great machine & no damage at all, but I got a 2.8GHz unibody replacement with a 128GB SSD. It'll be his first Mac :)

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I have this exact same model and still use it nearly every day. After upgrading the hard drive to 500gb it breathed new life into it. I love the design and the keyboard is definately better than the chiclet design IMO. I did have a few problems early on. The superdrive and logic board needed to be replaced on separate occasions but that was when I was still under Applecare so it was paid for.

If the new MBP's have more attractive features than I'm expecting (I only think they'll upgrade the processor and hard drive) then I might finally replace mine. My current computer is just starting to choke a little under my routine tasks but it can go for another year if need be.

20. TAJones99 thread starter macrumors member

TAJones99

I'm just gonna keep it till it don't work anymore it does what I want it to do and like I said its been good to me besides my iMac this has been the best computer I ever had, I couldn't say that when I was in my PC days.

thanks for all the comments :)

21. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Good to hear, but an 80GB hard drive (indicated in your signature)??

I think it's time to upgrade, mate.

Cheers,

Habitus :apple:

22. TAJones99 thread starter macrumors member

TAJones99

I have a external hard drive 500gigs and thats work well for me right now I was been thinking to upgrade to a 320.

23. m85476585 macrumors 65816

A bigger hard drive will be faster since increased data density means faster transfer rates.

You could get a SSD and it would make a huge difference in performance. Since you only have 80gb now, going to an 80gb SSD wouldn't be hard.

24. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

If it suits you fine don't upgrade.

I didn't really officially upgrade my main machine (PowerBook G4 12") till I got the latest MBP 13".

25. coast1ja macrumors 6502

I concur... go with what works!

If your old MBP suits your needs, keep it until it no longer does. That is the best way to get return on your computing investment... use it!