My first iBook should arrive tomorrow....

antto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
....and before I start using it....anything you recommend that I do before I start using it?

I'm not that familiar to Mac's, but I am a pretty "heavy" user...a lot of graphics and photo handling...at least a lot of people recommended a ibook.

Opinions?

Regards

Antto / New Mac-user from Finland

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
antto said:
....and before I start using it....anything you recommend that I do before I start using it?

I'm not that familiar to Mac's, but I am a pretty "heavy" user...a lot of graphics and photo handling...at least a lot of people recommended a ibook.

Opinions?

Regards

Hope you opted for the 60GB HDD option, its worth it.

and max out the ram from here:

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4158153

PC2700 or PC2100 as long as its is SO-DIMM it will work, double check the numbers though. :)

Turn WiFi off if you are not using it when you are running off the battery.

Other than that, enjoy that you got yourself some good computing power for a bargain. :)

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
antto said:
I'm not that familiar to Mac's ....anything you recommend that I do before I start using it?
be prepared to slap yourself. . . for not switching sooner!! you should enjoy the experience. be prepeared to spend a little time with the OS and getting used to it. It wont take you long to start enjoying it though.

antto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
Thanks guys!

Feels really good to finally have taken the step and ordered a ibook. Let's now hope that the possibility to use access and foxpro databases works :)

If not else that with a little help from VirtualPC...

//Antto

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
m a y a said:
Hope you opted for the 60GB HDD option, its worth it.

and max out the ram from here:

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4158153

PC2700 or PC2100 as long as its is SO-DIMM it will work, double check the numbers though. :)
I just got a new iBook too... did the 60GB, no question.

Ho crap! :eek: That's a good price on a 1GB SODIMM! Hm, I already bought and received my 512MB chip from a 3rd party, wonder if I can return it... dang!

Update: Done! Ordered my 1GB SODIMM, overnight shipping + tax only came to $182.03. That's excellent!! Thanks for the tip maya!! :) :) :)

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Great Price on Ram

Got my new 14" iBook 60gb HD and will get my Ram from Outpost tomorrow. Good thing cause my ram I had went bad Sunday so a quick return with that and now just the wait :cool: It will be great to have over 1g of ram. Thanks for that link :D

panda

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
very good

congrats on your new ibook.

you will love it for sure.

a brilliant machine at a great price. :)

bigpumbaa

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2004
That memory you linked... its PC2700... does that work with the iBook G4? I'm feeling pretty humbled right now, but all the official Apple stuff says PC2100 mem.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
bigpumbaa said:
That memory you linked... its PC2700... does that work with the iBook G4? I'm feeling pretty humbled right now, but all the official Apple stuff says PC2100 mem.
Yes, PC 2700 DDR RAM is backwards compatible with PC 2100. But of course it will only run at PC 2100 speeds... the important part is that it's 200-pin SODIMM.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It's a very good computer for the price. I'm sure that you will have hours of enjoyment.

destroyboredom

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2002
Washington, DC.
Great laptop for the price. Especially if you opt for the 1GB RAM module. I had a G3 800mhz with 640MB RAM and it was fantastic. (up until logicboard issues but thats a whole other story)

Good luck and enjoy! Congrats on the switch. You'll never look back.

lacrossegoalie4

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2004
Missouri and Chicago
Will doing the RAM upgrade yourself void any warranty stuff? Also, with the new iBooks that have "built-in" RAM, will this replace the basic 256, or add onto it? Just want to be sure... Sorry for the "Mac-amateur" questions :~)

THanks!

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
just so you know...

I bought that exact ram from Frye's and have had no problems with it. You will notice a huge different in system performance. EVERYTHING is faster, including start up and simple navigation of the computer, it just really likes ram. Stuff like iPhoto run like they were designed to run. Definitely the best investment you can made for the computer.

deebster

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2004
Olde Englande
Adding RAM yourself will not void your warranty, but do remember to either use an anti-static wrist strap, or discharge any static from your hands before you begin.

And the 256MB base RAM is soldered to the logic board so is not removable. The second slot is what you install to and will take up to 1GB on a G4 iBook.

It's good practice to fully charge your new iBook upon arrival, and then run it on battery until it automatically puts itself into sleep mode (it will have warned you first), then recharge and use as normal. It's called calibrating your battery and you can read more about it in Apple's Knowledge base on their site.

Have fun with your new baby, and welcome to the light side ;)

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
wwooden said:
I bought that exact ram from Frye's and have had no problems with it. You will notice a huge different in system performance. EVERYTHING is faster, including start up and simple navigation of the computer, it just really likes ram. Stuff like iPhoto run like they were designed to run. Definitely the best investment you can made for the computer.
That's what I like to hear! :) Thanks for the reassuring comments! If all goes well, I should be receiving my 1GB today... fingers crossed!

P.S. Thanks for the link, AmigoMac! Very informative.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
I just got my first iBook about 3 weeks ago. And I love it.

It was my first mac and now it is my Only Computer.

I got the 14', 768MB Ram, 60GB HDD

Congrats

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
deebster said:
It's good practice to fully charge your new iBook upon arrival, and then run it on battery until it automatically puts itself into sleep mode (it will have warned you first), then recharge and use as normal. It's called calibrating your battery and you can read more about it in Apple's Knowledge base on their site.

Have fun with your new baby, and welcome to the light side ;)
Is this a one time thing? I hear some people calibrate regularly
:confused:

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
dav said:
Is this a one time thing? I hear some people calibrate regularly
:confused:
Depends partly on your usage. Check out this page that AmigoMac linked to above:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

And no, you're not stupid for opting for the 80GB! If you have a need for it, and don't mind spending an extra $75 over the 60GB to gain 20GB more of space, more power to ya!

So antto, did your iBook arrive? :) Fill us in!