My first iMac - help with 1080p converter?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Katzmann, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Katzmann macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I just ordered my very first iMac 27". It's ofcourse the newest model with Haswell and a Nvidia 780M CPU.

I was just wondering, since I havn't been using mac for a few years (unfortunately I have been forced to join the´Dark Side´ some years back - but finaly I bought an Apple again!) if there is some Mac expert out there, who can help me.

I would very much like to play my PS3 on my new iMac, so I need a converter of some sort i suppose, right?
    I have been looking at some different options, the only problem is, they'll all only let me play in 720p, and I would very much like to play in 1080p.

Does any of you know a solution to my problem?

/Katzmann

2. kx22 macrumors member

Yeah i would really like to know this too!
    On TV is looks way better then on the iMac.

3. MacVibe macrumors regular

When Apple replaced the Displayport on the iMac with thunderbolt, they configured it to not allow video input from non-thunderbolt devices. There may be a converter (video signal to thunderbolt) box that does this- for a hefty price. Apple could probably configure the input to allow for Displayport but for whatever reason they have chosen not to.

4. Laucian Nailor macrumors member

Laucian Nailor

There are quite a few post on the site about this, but the consistent advice is that it is impossible to input a signal to a newer iMac (since last years model) from a console. The only possible input would be from a device which outputs a signal through thunderbolt (and at that point my technical expertise expires :eek: )

5. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

As others mentioned, it has been possible to use older iMacs to play xBox 360 or PS3 through mini display port, which accepted input from other devices no problem (on 27" iMac). However, Thunderbolt ports only allow input from other Thunderbolt devices such as Macbooks Pro. So unfortunately at the moment, there is no way how to turn your iMac into a screen for a game console. :(

6. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Native resolution of the PS3 for gaming is 720P anyway. Only HD video content and such actually plays back at 1080P.