Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all,

I have been using a MBP 15-inch, Mid 2010 which I doubt it can last any longer.. I'm planning to get the 27-inch iMac and planning to get it BTO. My current MBP specs are as below:
Processor 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB

Currently, I am looking at the mid-tier model (3.3ghz, M390 graphic card). My problems are with the RAM and SSD vs Fusion Drive.

My daily usage will be:
- web browsing
- emails
- dramas/movies
- itunes/spotify/youtube
- microsoft office
and occasionally, I play the Sims and use Photoshop+Lightroom (fortnightly and not intense). I also have a 2tb airport time capsule as my backup storage.

I plan to keep using the iMac for at least 4-5 years if possible. Please advise if it would be necessary to upgrade the RAM to 16gb? And as for the storage, should I go for the 2tb fusion drive or 256gb SSD? I can't afford the 512gb as the price in Australia is ridiculously high.

Appreciate your comments and help!

Last edited:

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
For your uses 8 gigs of RAM will be just fine. For storage you can get 256 GB SSD and then get external drives to store all of your other "stuff". If buying external drives are out of your budget (was for me) get a 2 TB fusion and you'll get the best of both worlds. An SSD but without insanely priced storage.

Kappsi

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2015
If you don't have an external drive, get the 2TB Fusion. Otherwise, if you can store things like your dramas/movies on an external drive, a 256GB SSD is probably fine for your purposes considering your other media is streamed.

Since you're buying a 27", you can easily upgrade the RAM later if you find a need a couple of years down the road, not to mention for much cheaper than if you buy it from Apple. For now, 8GB is plenty.

Qri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
For your uses 8 gigs of RAM will be just fine. For storage you can get 256 GB SSD and then get external drives to store all of your other "stuff". If buying external drives are out of your budget (was for me) get a 2 TB fusion and you'll get the best of both worlds. An SSD but without insanely priced storage.

Thanks for your recommendation! Someone from my local Apple store told me that 8gb of ram might not be enough for years to come so I should consider getting 16gb.. But I think I would be better off saving the money from upgrading RAM and use it for getting either fusion drive or SSD+external hard drive!

Qri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
If you don't have an external drive, get the 2TB Fusion. Otherwise, if you can store things like your dramas/movies on an external drive, a 256GB SSD is probably fine for your purposes considering your other media is streamed.

Since you're buying a 27", you can easily upgrade the RAM later if you find a need a couple of years down the road, not to mention for much cheaper than if you buy it from Apple. For now, 8GB is plenty.

yeah I was really confused with the RAM part as I was told that 16gb could last my iMac if I plan to use it for more than 5 years.. but I guess you are right with getting more RAM myself.

do you have any recommendation for a good external drive? I am wondering if my airport TC is any good... :confused:

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I would get the 16gb ram because there is no chance to upgrade later and while you don't need it now, your iMac usage might change down the road.

I would get the 2tb fusion because for the same price (unless it's different in aus) you get 128gb SSD plus lots of internal storage. The SSD portion is ridiculously fast and most of your files will sit there.

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
I would get the 16gb ram because there is no chance to upgrade later and while you don't need it now, your iMac usage might change down the road.

I would get the 2tb fusion because for the same price (unless it's different in aus) you get 128gb SSD plus lots of internal storage. The SSD portion is ridiculously fast and most of your files will sit there.

The OP mentioned they were looking at a 27 inch iMac so RAM is upgradeable

Reactions: The Doctor11

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
+1 2TB Fusion (1tb has smaller SSD part). 8GB may be weak but very easy to grab more on eBay and install in just a few sec.

Reactions: Qri

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
If you are looking at the 27 inch model, you can upgrade the ram later yourself. I think the 256ssd will be frustratingly small so your choice is to go to the 512 ssd ( which you said is too expensive) or get the 2tb fusion, a good compromise.

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I had 21" on my brain. Then yes, stick with stock 2x4gb. You can cheaply add two more if you ever need it.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Thanks for your recommendation! Someone from my local Apple store told me that 8gb of ram might not be enough for years to come so I should consider getting 16gb.. But I think I would be better off saving the money from upgrading RAM and use it for getting either fusion drive or SSD+external hard drive!
Your Apple Store employee must work on commision lol.

Qri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
@Qri don't rely only on the time capsule for backups. There are plenty of affordable options for external drives, make sure you also have extra backups. I have good experiences so far over the years with various WD drives as well as some from OWC (also sells RAMs and other accessories).
http://www.wdc.com/en/
http://www.macsales.com

Thanks McGiord for the links!

I have seen on other threads here where many are recommending OWC. had a look at the RAM and can't believe the price difference between Apple and OWC! guess I will follow suit and get extra ram on my own. ;)

If you are looking at the 27 inch model, you can upgrade the ram later yourself. I think the 256ssd will be frustratingly small so your choice is to go to the 512 ssd ( which you said is too expensive) or get the 2tb fusion, a good compromise.

Hi Sirmausalot, as there is only 128gb of flash storage in the 2tb fusion, as time passes (say, due to increasing files that i frequently use) would the imac get much slower? if this is the case I might consider the 512ssd + external hard drive..o_O

hifimacianer

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2015
Germany

I have a 128 GB SSD in my old 2008 iMac, and it never felt frustrating.
If you start from scratch, you can built up your personal Folder structure with external drives, and that works fine.

In the end even a 512 GB SSD will be too small one day, and you'll have to split your data then.

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
Thanks McGiord for the links!

I have seen on other threads here where many are recommending OWC. had a look at the RAM and can't believe the price difference between Apple and OWC! guess I will follow suit and get extra ram on my own. ;)

Hi Sirmausalot, as there is only 128gb of flash storage in the 2tb fusion, as time passes (say, due to increasing files that i frequently use) would the imac get much slower? if this is the case I might consider the 512ssd + external hard drive..o_O
I went for the 512gb for that reason. But many with fusions report they work well as they dynamically move your recently used files to flash storage. You can also save even more money as owc even charges a premium over buying the ram from say Amazon. The sweet spot is to pick up 2x8gb ddr 3l sodimms at 1887 for about 90 bucks, and install them yourself for a total of 24gb.

minimalism

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2013
I'd totally recommend an external drive for your storage and upgrade RAM later when you think 8GB isn't sufficient. Cloud storage offer convenience but is exposed to possible hacking while having your own external drives configured in RAID 1 should be enough as backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.