iPad My first impressions after 2 days with retina mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FatPuppy, Dec 5, 2013.

1. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

2 days ago my mini retina finally arrived and at first I was really excited but after a few hours of usage that includes simple task and a few heavy games, I am a bit dissapointed. First, the app store is laggy when changing the orientation, there are some issues with the blur where most of the times it flickers, when I sync the ipad to my pc, it becomes laggy, and in only 2 hours of usage, the springboard crashed 3 times. The sound is great but not too loud, there is no image retention. The multitasking is also a bit laggy when I press to enter in another app, when using itunes radion... browsing through stations and songs makes the UI laggy probably about the blur effects. Live wallpapers drain the battery really bad and all the other fancy animations like the motion and the transparency (I have a powerfull tablet so I don t want to disable all these animations and graphics). The battery drains really fast, actually faster than my old ipad 3 on 6.1.3, although I have to say that I ve never charged the mini since it came out of the box so I hope it gets better after I charge it again. I am using ios 7.0.4 and I want to hear others if they have these issues with the retina mini and if ios 7.1 fixes at least the UI lag. Have a nice day everybody :)

2. klover macrumors 6502a

I found battery life to be just as good as my iPad 4/Air but, in other areas, I agree with the laggy, jittery transistions and crashes. I now attribute much of what I disliked about the retina mini to i0S 7 which seems to be poorly optimized for the iPad line (compared to my 5S).

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think iOS needs a "Project Butter" of its own.

4. Vladislav macrumors regular

ZBoater? Do you work here full time?
    Any new (or old) thread im opening, you already there with your comments :eek: :D (protecting precious Apple from whiners, in most cases ) :D

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

6. Vladislav macrumors regular

No no dont need any links ZBoater, im not one of the whiners, im quite happy with my apple products.
    It was just an observation from the side, together with overall impression of your posts, thats all :D

7. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

Who'd have seen the day?

8. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

I've had the opposite experience. Although safari does tend to crash every so often, everything else is fine. Try rebooting maybe? I've felt some UI lag but not that much that it's off putting as a product, id still recommend the rMini against any of it's rival competitors.

9. CandyNJ66 macrumors regular

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I would have to behave if I were. Nowhere near as much fun. :p

11. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Safari crash??? Never happened, just springboard crash. I am a "lag tiran" I can't stand even the tiniest lag, using itunes radio on "wish list section" is laggy, multitasking is laggy when tapping on other app, itunes and appstore are laggy when rotating the ipad and when tapping and swiping through pictures of games in app store is laggy. Even though I have the ipad for 3 days I know now every lag and every crash. Anyway, my mini r is crying for 7.1.

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

Shhhh don't give them any ideas

13. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

I don't know if iOS 7 helps you reduce your annoyance, but as far as my experience, not a lot of lag been smoothed out... Still same lag in App Store. Still frame drop when change orientation with keyboard on, Safari still buggy when your home button face up and most importantly, Safari still crashes.

14. rajpatel macrumors regular

It's three wks old and perfect condition. But I know I will never be able to return it. I'll rarely or never use it again for web browsing, but for everything else I prefer the mini. So I guess I will forego a ps4 cuz I won't let myself have that much electronics. Soul draining. I just like a couple of games like halo and Gta for the artwork and gameplay.

Is there some place u can get top dollar for ur apple stuff that is safe to use

15. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Battery life is horrible on my rmini

Attached Files:

16. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Don't know if you're serious or just sarcastic but 13 hours of usage is pretty good. Maybe with 7.1 things would go better.

17. Che Castro macrumors 603

18. kevroc macrumors 6502

I hope some day you realize how silly you sound...

My coffee pot it laggy...
    Traffic lights are laggy...
    The Post Office is laggy...(well, buggy actually)
    etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Life is all about activity and rest cycles, get a clue. The fact that machines mimic life isn't by coincidence. You should try something out, the next time you experience "lag" ask yourself what's going on during that lag that you just can't see, and whether or not you could do it yourself any faster.

People like you (yes, I'm going to categorize you now) just make the manufacturers create workarounds to give the allusion of speed at the sake of real performance benefit.

Basically what you have is going from
    Cause
    - do effect
    Cause
    - do effect

To:
    Cause
    - queue do effect
    Cause
    - queue do effect

So the time between causes appears faster to the eye but the work isn't really getting done, it's getting queued to get done another time. Great....no thanks. I'd rather "wait for a second" (for the horrible lag to recede) for the actual work to be done, and know it was done, then have everything get buffered and queued just so some other invisible event can fail and the work never get done and me never know about it. That's much better.

But you go on and keep complaining about lag, because all everyone needs is more butter.

19. Kinagoo macrumors newbie

Best comment I have read in a while...

20. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Wow, this is deep. Anyway...

21. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

I thought it was obvious 13 hrs is ridiculously good...

22. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

My r-mini is awesome. No major issues. I think most of the issues will be corrected with future software updates. Remember the reports that ios7 development lagged behind iPhone and that the initial betas were delayed. And iOS 7 is a radically new os that will require fine tuning.

23. wmkim macrumors member

I've only had mine for a day now... and I have to say...I'm very pleased.

After the 'doom and gloom' chatter regarding the screen/color gamut, I'd gone to the Apple Store to do some side-by-side comparisons. And yes... there was a slight "dulling" look...but then again, the screens at the store all had a layer of fingerprints, etc. on them and it had their bright store lights shining directly down on the devices...

On some positive feedback from some other friends who had gotten it, I decided the rMini size/convenience was more suitable and ordered one...

Just using it after I restored my iPad 4 backup onto it... the display/user experience, etc... are all excellent. Glad I made the purchase.

24. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

I would 1000% vote for you as a MOD. Nothing against our current mods, just that you happen to write what I am thinking before I have a chance too!!!

Back on topic... Sorry you are not pleased with your mini. You may want to exchange it for another. Apple will certainly understand.