Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
thought people might be interested in experiences using the air pods doing exercise. I will first say The workout with the air pods in my ears was about just over an hour. in total I did the following routine

5 minutes on the rowing machine
15 minutes on the running machine
15 minutes on the spinning bike
10 minutes on the cross training
200 situps to end the workout

As soon as i put in my air pods then connected obviously straight away and the best part about the whole workout was the big reason why i wanted these.

NO FREAKING WIRES

It was great to know that If i so wished i could leave my phone on the side while I went on the running machine without the need of having my big iPhone 7 plus in my pocket banging against my leg as I ran. A big advantage to what I normally had with the wired earbuds.

Connection was perfect through the whole workout. So If I had my iPhone on the side I could walk down to the bottom of the gym to get some water and I continued to listen to my music as If the phone was i my hands. Big positive right there.

I know alot of people may have some concerns about their air pods falling out during workouts. Certainly when you are running. The last thing you want is for your air pod to fall out on the machine which could end up destroying it.

I can report NOT ONCE did I even need to push the air pods into my ear during the whole workout just in case it fell out. The air pods remained in my ears for the full hour of being in the gym.

Even when I was doing some setups at the end I thought surely they could fall out then. Nope.

For those wondering about how much the battery life dropped on the air pods this was the battery drain during the time

Start of the workout

3ab8632f53ca1ab1c4bbfc084091c566.png

End of the workout

4bad192d58758f654cf2037193d39064.png

Ignore the times on my iPhone. When i took my air pods out and put them in my ears at about 12:30 they were at 98% so it dropped 19% in about an hour.

Here is a quick summary on the workouts from my apple watch

33b4948dd119a106c65cfd1e699656b6.png

I get not everybody has an apple watch but wow I'm loving this combo. controlling guy music on my watch an setting up workouts with my air pods is great. Apart from to take a look at any emails or texts I could leave my iPhone in my gym bag and just depend on my apple watch and my air pods.

This is why these air pods are so great. Too many people who are negative about the air pods are seeing just sound. For me this is why the air pods are great. Sure there better sounding devices for wireless but in terms of it just working how you want it to there's no better on the market for me. The sound for workouts is more than good enough as it is for just going for walks and walking into work for example.

The beats solo3 will be great for my in house routine but these are perfect for workouts for my needs and just general walking around town.

I will be using these while heading to town on thursday for a pain of christmas shopping so I will report how they are for this as well but for my first gym workout I can' complain.

Very pleased how it past the test for my workout needs.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm tempted by AirPods but I worry they fit in the ear just like earpods. Can you comment on this? The earpods just feel like they sit in my ear rather than attach to my ear like most earbuds. Also, with earpods I feel if there is any noise in the room I have to crank the volume to almost max since they don't form a seal in the ear. I'd be interested in them if they fit better and secured better in the ear than the earpods.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
My biggest complaint is that from reviews is that an Apple Watch is almost necessary for AirPods :(
Wish Apple could just add volume/track controls somehow (either in future AirPods or software updates).

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm tempted by AirPods but I worry they fit in the ear just like earpods. Can you comment on this? The earpods just feel like they sit in my ear rather than attach to my ear like most earbuds. Also, with earpods I feel if there is any noise in the room I have to crank the volume to almost max since they don't form a seal in the ear. I'd be interested in them if they fit better and secured better in the ear than the earpods.
Obviously all our ears are different but for me with the earbuds I had to consistantly push the earbuds in my ears due to them being loose and falling out but today with the air pods I had no such issue. Noise wise full volume i couldn't really hear much but there weren't many people in the gym so it's hard to measure completely but it's better than with the earbuds for me in that regard.
[doublepost=1482245540][/doublepost]
My biggest complaint is that from reviews is that an Apple Watch is almost necessary for AirPods :(
Wish Apple could just add volume/track controls somehow (either in future AirPods or software updates).
i would agree with this yeah. Without the apple watch you are going to need your phone near by but it certainly is less of a hassle as to get the wires out the way when changing songs. least if you are on the running machine you can put the phone in the pocket of the running machine and change it by picking the phone up instead of it being in your pocket with the earbuds.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Are these rated for sweat protection? I dont think this is a great workout device due to that and them eventually malfunctioning and voiding warranty.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Are these rated for sweat protection? I dont think this is a great workout device due to that and them eventually malfunctioning and voiding warranty.
From my understanding they are sweat resistant just like the earbuds were. They never gave me any issues for sweat and these won't either. Water is something completely different though.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks for sharing your impressions. I'm a bit sceptical about the long term use of these for workouts because I think sweat will run into the drivers at some stage, especially with an open design like this.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Thanks for sharing your impressions. I'm a bit sceptical about the long term use of these for workouts because I think sweat will run into the drivers at some stage, especially with an open design like this.

I agree with this and where my concern lies as well for workouts but they are a nice fit and very light.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Glad to read they block out some noise at least, EarPods really don't at all.

And a struggle with EarPods fitting and staying in my ears, I had to buy Earskinz from Amazon. Many have said they fit and stay more secure than the EarPods which is great.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Reactions: The Game 161

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Glad to read they block out some noise at least, EarPods really don't at all.

And a struggle with EarPods fitting and staying in my ears, I had to buy Earskinz from Amazon. Many have said they fit and stay more secure than the EarPods which is great.

I doubt there is any accuracy to reports that EarPods fit differently. The shape is the same. The dimensions too. There is of course no chord pull, which might make an impact for some people.
I'm also pretty sure they are as open and non-isolating sounding like the cable versions. You will need a proper plug for more sound insulation.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I doubt there is any accuracy to reports that EarPods fit differently. The shape is the same. The dimensions too. There is of course no chord pull, which might make an impact for some people.
I'm also pretty sure they are as open and non-isolating sounding like the cable versions. You will need a proper plug for more sound insulation.

The chord on the EarPods may make a difference but he is not the first one to report these stay in the ears better than the EarPods and really do not need to be pushed in from time to time.

I suppose listening at a high volume could account for drowning out some sound, I am never more than 70% volume with any ear/headphones I listen to.

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
They definitely stay in place where the EarPods didn't. And I ran to the subway today without an issue including stairs. If I push them in the bass is so strong but they tend to not sit so tight unfortunately which is the same as all non-isolating buds for me. The bass is great in quiet environments and loses the fullness outside on a manhattan street but they still sound stellar
[doublepost=1482261649][/doublepost]Definitely without a cord, they're not going anywhere. I can't go running with them but I can bob my head and dance a little and definitely walk fast though a manhattan street and Times Square.

65% volume indoors, 80% outdoors is sufficient.

Reactions: AppleRobert

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
What happens when you lean back on a bench to do bench presses? I can't see them staying in that well with laying back?

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
I think for me, my Powerbeats 3 will stay as my gym headphones for extra security; still beat a cord. For walking the city, commuting, and sitting around studying or working, AirPods.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I worry about sweat and grim. Though you're not supposed do, I've washed the old Earbuds from time to time, but I know you cannot do that with these.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Well when I lie on the bed no issues but haven't tried them when doing weights but will test it out.

Good to know, I fall asleep listening to instrumental music every night.

EarPods kind of stayed in place lying down but not that great to be honest no matter what position my head was in.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Good to know, I fall asleep listening to instrumental music every night.

EarPods kind of stayed in place lying down but not that great to be honest no matter what position my head was in.
Bed use is frustration with the EarPods because the cord always chokes me or the buds get pulled out because I toss and turn and something always catches the cable.

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
Tried them with a 1 hour at home yoga session today including downward dog and a variety of poses where my head was sideways to one side or another or upside down. They did slip out two or three times, especially as I built up a sweat, but 95% of the time they were in there pretty solid. Definitely would stick with my Powerbeats 3 for workouts anyway

Reactions: Tinny

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I worry about sweat and grim. Though you're not supposed do, I've washed the old Earbuds from time to time, but I know you cannot do that with these.

Well everythingapplepro has done a YouTube video where he put it in the wash and worked fine. So sweat wise it will be fine.

I wouldn't go washing them like he did though ha

Reactions: Traverse
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.