My first iPad and a pretty good deal...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DryEyez, Mar 28, 2012.

1. DryEyez macrumors 6502

So today I woke up without an ipad and without ever owning one, then this evening i went online, took a look on gumtree ( similar to craigs list ) and found the ipad 1 16gb im now typing on. I purchased the ipad for £140 and feel i got a really great deal, im already absolutely loving the ipad and will be selling my macbook pro shortly.

The ipad is in great nick and came with two cases and original box. Already watched a few programs on netflix....although its an ipad 1 i am extremely happy with my purchase and glad i took the plunge. It's also on the latest ios and has zero lag, i imagine ill still be able to sell this before thr ipad 4 is released for the same price, all around, it in my view a great deal.

If in my position would you guys have done the same?

2. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

if you are new to tablets and would like to get one to see if they are for you, then a used iPad 1 is a great start, and at £140 that's a great deal, i sold my iPad 1 the day before the iPad 3 came out for £205.

3. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Congrats on your new iPad, it seems like a good buy.
    I loved the first one and was sad to see it go.
    As far as getting rid of your MBP, I would not sell that unless you have another computer available.

4. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, i have graduated from university this year...well, technically i graduate in 2 months, but all work is done and now i only use my mbp for email browsing and netflix, i feel an ipad fits these needs much better and at a better price...plus, secretly i have always wanted a justification for buying an ipad! For my main computer i do have a 8 core amd rig which is more than enough for any computing needs.

....i might be 2 years late to the show, but, im glad im here

5. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Yeah, my step mom is the ideal candidate for going ipad only. She pretty much only uses the computer to check her stocks and read her email. I convinced her and my dad they should at least keep one computer. She admits she loves her ipad but there are still some things she needs the computer for.

So I'll echo the sentiment not to sell the macbook unless you have another computer available.

6. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Congrats! Nothing wrong with the original iPad. I use mine heavily each day and am writing this message on it. Still a GREAT device. it's too easy to get caught up in the short life cycles of devices. Enjoy your first iPad!! :)

7. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

FWIW... I do everything with my original. I watch Netflix, surf the web, email, take notes at work, track to-dos, read Flipboard on the train using 3G etc. it has never let me down.

8. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Good for you then.
    The iPad 1 is perfect for that and many more things.
    I warn you though, once you get used to it you will be looking at the newer models :D but for the time being it will do just fine.
    I used my iPad1 for 2 years for business and pleasure every day and became amazed how fast this has evolved in usability in those 2 years.

9. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply sea, this is what i was after really, with your ipad 1, i realise there are some apps which will not work very well or at all? But are there any apps that work extremely well that i may have overlooked, that you find useful for an ipad.

I also installed gta3 on this earlier and was so impressed how far gaming has come when you can put a game of that magnitude onto a device you can hold in your hands and do so much more with, fair to say it is my new favourite toy

10. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

You're going to LOVE the iPad! You can do so many things with it.

11. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

To be honest i already did a lot of research before hand and especially looking at the newer models, i dont mean to be an apple elitist but i just couldnt go with an android tablet, but at the same time i wanted to take the plunge...my general thinking was, take the plunge with a cheap enough ipad 1 this year which will still run everything then sell it for the same price before the 4 comes out and grab that. I am a gadget fan and this is like seeing a 3d game for the first time, awesome.

The new ipad 3 models with the retina display do look absolutely outstanding but im going to wait til the 4 and enjoy this whilst i have it :)

----------

One thing i did want to ask, as ill be using my ipad connected to my phone as a wifi hotspot, how data hungry is an ipad for usual browsing, how much data do you guys use a month, if you keep track that is

12. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

As far as data goes, I only got a SIM card for my iPad last week so I don't yet know how much I'll go through.

As far as apps go, I haven't been disappointed in performance yet. But some of the newer apps like iPhoto won't run in the original. Nt a big deal for me though. Will you be using it for personal use or some business mixed in?

13. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Strictly just personal, i do also have query....charging the ipad....im assuming it cant usb charge, so you have to be near a plug, which with a tablet can be a little restrictive, do any online stores sell metre long ipad cables by any chance or

14. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I think it is a very sensible plan and will work no doubt.
    As far as data is concerned it uses the same as your phone does when doing the same thing +/- a little.

Of if you have not done so yet.
    I would recommend iCab as a secondary browser as it will let you download and upload things.
    Dropbox is also awesome and free.
    And if you do decide to do a little more then now give GoodReader a good look.

You can charge the iPad on USB but it has to be USB 2.0 at minimum.

15. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Yes, you can USB charge it. In fact, it's not as power hungry as the new iPod so you'll find it doesant take as long. I usually charge mine with the AC adapter while I sleep. Charge time is about 3 hours. I usually get about 2 days out of it. Keep in mind, I use it a lot!

You can buy the Apple iPad charger and it comes with an extension which gives you a total of over 2.5 meters (I think). I can measure exactly for you if you like.

16. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah right ok i didnt realise it was able to charge via usb, very useful to know thanks for the info. Ill take a look on amazon and apples site for the ipad charger :) i have at the moment the same length cable that comes with an iphone, so ill buy this longer version.....or perhaps a dock?

17. SweetDove macrumors regular

I've had my iPad 1 since it came out back in '10 and I still love it! It was my first tablet, and now I can't imagine my day without it. I charge mine in the wall at night, and it usually lasts me all day, movies can drain it a bit faster though.

I haven't been able to get mine to USB charge, but I don't think my laptop has 2.0 USB either. Also, if the cord is to short, I just use an extension cord. Apples extended cord is pretty pricey, and an extension cord is like $5.00

Either way, I really hope you enjoy it! And in a few years if you love it enough then the iPad 4 or 5 or 7 will be waiting for you :3

18. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I have the 16gb iPad original and love it. No interest in upgrading; as I really like the form factor better on the 1. Screen on it is still great IMO, not retina of course but really it's a great device that has yet to not run something I need it for.

19. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks again for the info :) im curious do you guys use docks at all? Only reason i ask is i would love to be able to set up the ipad in a dock and it start playing music at a specified time via a dock as an alarm. Im not sure if there a way to do that at all?

20. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Well, I don't have a dock for mine. I just plug it in and lay it on the night stand. Check out an app called Alarm Clock on the app store. It will play music to wake you up.

21. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Great to hear you're having fun with your iPad! Enjoying what you have is what it's all about.

Don't worry DryEyez, most of us get that you were sharing a positive experience and passing along information you feel is useful to those who may be deciding between a new iPad and previous versions. :)

22. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Also, I had a new iPad for about a week. Three of them in fact. Returned them because of screen issues. The screen on the iPad 1 is white and even with really good view angles. I usually sit the iPad in my lap and at that distance, the retina display wasn't much different. Only if you hold it close did I notice the extra resolution.

If anything, it makes me realize no well built the original is.

23. SweetDove macrumors regular

Oh man, I'd love a dock! Maybe a portable one too so I can listen to music while outside somewhere. I know ihome has good looking docks that. Double as alarm clocks ect. Id really like to hear if you find a brand you like.