My First iPhone App... doesn't work... HELP ME

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by i'mback94, Jun 17, 2011.

1. i'mback94 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm trying to write my first Cocoa iPhone App with the preview version of xCode 4.2 reserved to iOS Developers.

I saw some videos on You Tube and I had a look to the old posts here on "Mac Rumors"... but I didn't solved my problem.

My source file is attached to this message...
    Can you help me???

PS. = It seems like the Enabled property of the window is set on "False".

Bye and Thanks
    Sara

Attached Files:

2. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

This is absolutely the wrong forum to post in. Please read some basic documentation on XCode, Objective C, and iPhone SDK. Or go buy a book on iPhone development. You absolutely cannot write an app, upload it to a forum, and expect people to download it and tell you how you messed up.

P.S. There is no such thing as a "Cocoa iPhone app". PLEASE DO SOME READING!!! Don't expect everyone else to do your work for you!

3. sn macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

bit strong perhaps...

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

lol a simple NO would of done

5. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

That was a bit harsh, no?

6. radiogoober, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2011

radiogoober macrumors 6502a

What part was harsh? Suggesting the person read some documentation on what she's trying to accomplish, instead of just zipping up her app and uploading it to a forum? Why is it harsh to suggest that someone do their own work, instead of trying to pawn it off on others. She didn't even post what the problem was with her "app", or anything. She merely said "HELP!!" and "do this for me!"

Sorry - this is just like the people who download iOS beta and then cry that WiFi Sync doesn't work. Everybody is just so lazy.

Let me try again:

Dear Sara,

I am extremely excited for and very enthusiastic that you wish to delve into the amazing world of iOS development. It seems that you are well on your path to fame and fortune by writing your first "Hello, World!" app. It seems you have encountered some unfortunate difficulties with getting this introduction application running in XCode.

My advice to you would be to read introductory documentation on Objective-C, XCode, and the iPhone SDK. Once you've thoroughly digested this material, you may then wish to pick up a book that helps teach iPhone app development to beginners.

You see, it's not appropriate to simply try to write an app, fail, and then upload it to a forum and beg for help. The path to success is filled with hard work, not others doing hard work for you.

Good luck and I wish you all the best in your quest to learn iPhone app development.

With God's Graces,

Radiogoober

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

booom (you broke my sarcasm detector)

8. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Sometimes the truth hurts. Could he of put it a better way? Sure. But that doesn't change the message.

9. stewart715 macrumors 6502

Jeez, if you get that upset over a forum post, I'd hate to accidentally cut you off on the highway. You might follow me home and kill me.

I think there are far better ways to spend time then to rant on about a forum post that you dislike... ;)

It's why browsers put the 'Back' button in their toolbars :D

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Thanks for uploading a great idea. I am busy reworking this app and will be releasing it by the end of the month on he app store.

11. BigKyle macrumors member

I love it, and i don’t think his first post was Harsh at all...

Maybe if a code snippet was posted, and something likes "debugger keeps saying my error is here, but i have looked at it 1,000 times and i can’t see what’s wrong. Any ideas"

Is completely different then uploading an entire app and expecting someone to go through it line by line, to find out what went wrong..
    Back when i learned all this stuff, you get to where you are (in the coding world) by learning all these small errors and what to look for and how to fix it.

I see it a lot, where people just want to throw something down on paper, and get it “good enough” then let someone else do the grunt work for them…. its annoying at best, and unless your going to pay them for their services, (unless it’s a small snippet) I don’t think questions for a “basic” application should even be asked

12. i'mback94 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi friends, I read all your replies and I'm sorry if I selected the wrong category to post my thread.

Anyway... can you solve my problem?

13. whtrbt7, Jun 17, 2011

whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Devs will be devs. Harsh wake-up calls are a free public service we provide. One of the primary reason why you shouldn't post your source is the same reason that nostresshere noted. You can get your ideas stolen easily. Inspiration for apps take a long time to achieve and if you give out your source, other people can capitalize on your concept.

That said, BigKyle and Radiogoober are correct in offering their advice. I don't even know how you came to the conclusion of writing something in Cocoa to use on iOS. Cocoa is used specifically for OSX development and can't be ported over to Objective-C automatically. You should definitely read more on the subject on your developer's account since there is a very large and very nice (since I use it as reference on my iPad) manual that's online. There's also a huge forum/knowledge-base connected to it that is useful for figuring out how to debug your application.

14. ViviUO macrumors 6502

Some people learn by example. Some learn by reading alone. Everyone is different. To the fresh beginner, documentation can be very confusing.

Just thought some of the elites here might want to know that. Also, do the world a favor and never take on a teaching job. :)

Anyway, OP, what resources are you using to learn from?

15. reputationZed, Jun 17, 2011

reputationZed macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I tend to agree with Radiogoober. Developing quality app requires hard work and dedication. Sara's intent may have been "I'm struggling with this one concept, can some one help me understand", but it came off a bit more like "fix my code for me so I can get it on the app store". Most dev's I've met will go out of their way to answer a specific question or two but draw the line at doing your homework for you.

Their is a distinct difference between teaching and doing some ones work for them. Simply fixing their code teaches them nothing. I agree documentation can be confusing but if your goal is to be a developer it's something you need to get your head around

I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt that she relly does want to learn but it's going to take a level of commitment that did not come across in her post.

16. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

You still haven't clearly explained exactly what your problem is!

RTP.

17. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Always a good time to revisit the couple of links that can help you form a question in a way that actuallly gets the answers you seek.

http://www.mikeash.com/getting_answers.html

http://whathaveyoutried.com

OP what are you trying to do? What do you expect to happen, and what happens instead? ...

B

18. multinode, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2011

multinode macrumors regular

Forget it ... the elitist children won't understand you. They're probably Unix coders ... "if you're too stupid to understand my code, here's 3 feet of books ... go read".

Advice to Sara ... ignore these fools!

Please don't apologize to the elitists ... they know not what they're doing.

19. multinode macrumors regular

Actually, you are wrong my friend (whtrbt7). Cocoa is an API that lives mostly in the Mac. Cocoa Touch is an API that lives in the iPhone/iPad. ObjC is a language (that lives in both environments) ... one doesn't properly talk about porting an API to a language ... orthogonal concepts! We could talk about porting from one OS to the other (MacOS to iOS), but that's yet another matter.

While on this subject, some of Cocoa's functionality does exist in the iPhone/iPad contexts. Unfortunately, Cocoa Touch is not a true superset of Cocoa. That's the arrogance of the Apple children who really don't give a damn about us developers. Save the flames, guys ... I know from whence I speak. Apple has great products that's the only reason I'm still here.

20. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

In spite of all your rallying against the elitists and Apple and such, were you going to actually try to help Sara out with her issue, multinode?

21. acellardoor macrumors newbie

Seriously? too easy. 0/10

In any case Sara, take everyone else's advice. They know what they're talking about and just looking out for your best interests. Radiogoober's advice, albeit a bit harsh, is probably the most sound.

22. multinode, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

multinode macrumors regular

Hi dejo ...

You've made your point ... this is my last comment on the subject ... no need to pollute the Forum with the side comments. It is definitely hard to help Sara without more specificity ... agreed. And I may or may not jump in.

I was actually dealing with a different and I believe equally (or more) important issue. Sara is obviously naive about programming in the Apple world. She also doesn't understand yet how to use this Forum. However, I don't think it serves any purpose to beat her up. If we're here to help, then we need to objectively educate her as to her mistakes. Anyone who doesn't want to do that ought to simply be quiet.

My long experience in dealing with (admittedly brilliant) coders in Silicon Valley is that many are condescending, arrogant fools. The Unix and Apple communities epitomize this attitude. I and a number of other responders detected exactly that attitude in dealing with Sara. Some were gentle in their rebuke ... I choose never to allow bullying on my watch. I had such a response myself at one point on MR and I shot it down immediately.

23. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I have a feeling that this thread was originally in the iPhone forum instead of iPhone programming, but my yellow belt mod-fu doesn't let me verify that. radiogoober is a regular there, but not here.

This would explain why some of the first replies were not by users that usually frequent this subforum. Poor i'mback94 hasn't posted since.

After the OP's second post, we start to see some of the regular programming users come on board, and the tone of the thread changes.

Hopefully we can bring the OP back to the thread, or at least the right forum.

B

24. multinode macrumors regular

Thank you Balam. Well said.

25. multinode macrumors regular

Hello Sara

I did open your .zip and try to build and run the app.

First ... I've never seen a property attribute "strong" before. So I took them out.
    Second, your implementation of the AutoreleasePool in your "main()" is incorrect. It should be:

Code:
    #import <UIKit/UIKit.h>

#import "iTestAppDelegate.h"

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
    	int retVal = 0;
    	NSAutoreleasePool * pool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];
    	retVal = UIApplicationMain(argc, argv, nil, nil);
    	[pool release];
    	return retVal;
    }

Now the code builds (with some important warnings). Now you need to tell us exactly how you wanted the code to run ... what was it supposed to do?