Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Europe calling

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
The Netherlands
Hi,

I'm planning on replacing my rambling SonyEricsson with my first iPhone (3GS). I won't be using it to load music onto, i've got an iPod for that.
Do i need the 32Gb version, or can i just as well settle for the cheaper 16Gb?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
If you're not using it as an iPod, you don't need 32GB, but I'd like to ask you, why not? You wouldn't have to carry around another device. I retired my 40GB iPod after getting my iPhone, even though it had 1/5 the space on it.

Anyway ... cost out how much it will be over the lifetime of the contract. I don't know how long your contract (if any) in the Netherlands would be, or how much the monthly cost is, but if I were buying one in the US, I would go for the 32GB. The reason? $100 extra for 2x the space is only slightly more than one month on the basic contract. It's easily dwarfed by the total cost over two years.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
I've got a 16G

on board are:

Songs 630 (ie aprox 50 full length CDs)
Vids 16 (2 music vids, a couple of short home movies and some youtubes I converted to MPEG4)
Photos 450
Apps 85

(a couple of my apps are file storage with aprox 100 PDF's)

Ive used aprox only 50% of the stoarge.

Do you really want to put 2 to 3 thousand songs on your phone?

The only reason to get more space is if you are wanting to store full length films on for any length of time.

(iTunes movies are a couple of GB, and from memory handbrake rips with reasonable resolution are about the same)

I have a couple of times put a movie on it when I went away (and took the video out cables to plug into the hotels television, though as I whole I found this more hastle than its worth.)

shauncampbell

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2009
Why pay for something you won't use? Sure it's nice to have the extra space - but there's no point really in shelling out extra cash if you aren't going to jam-pack it with music, movies, podcasts, apps, photos etc. Go with the 16GB :)

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Hey, if you can afford it why not? 100 bucks for twice the space is worth it. Even if you don't think you'll use the extra space now, you'll at least have the peace of mind that you'll have all the space you'll ever need in the two years you're probably going to keep the phone. And you'll probably be encouraged to have more apps, movies, pics, music now that you'll have an iPhone.

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
You can't go wrong with either. 16GB is more than enough while 32GB is way more than enough. Remember that a year ago the 3G came in 8GB and 16GB. I have the 16GB because my first iPhone was stolen and I didn't want to spend another $100 for memory I knew I wasn't going to use.

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Anybody use more than 16GB?

I bought a 3gs 16gb and then exchanged it for a 32gb the next day. But, after a week or so, I'm wondering if I just wasted $100.

I'm not going to return it or anything, but hate to see so much unused space. So to make good use, I briefly tried to use it as a usb drive using a partition program from cydia, but the app seemed pretty unstable, so I deleted it.

So, my question is: has anyone found it useful the 32gb versus the 16gb? Or, does anyone use more than 16gb on their iphone?

If so, I'm curious what kind of content? videos? use as usb drive?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Why pay for something you won't use? Sure it's nice to have the extra space - but there's no point really in shelling out extra cash if you aren't going to jam-pack it with music, movies, podcasts, apps, photos etc. Go with the 16GB :)

I agree.
If you need the space get it if not it would be a waste unused.
Personally 16GB is plenty for me. Others might need 64GB.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
ive got 680 songs
500 photos
2 full length movies and a couple short flicks
600mb in apps

and i still have 50% left on my 16gb

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I just dropped Zombieland from my 32GB and I'm now sitting at around 29.5 used. My friends and I all share our music so I have ~3,600 songs, a couple gigs worth of pictures and Navigon.

With that said, I'll probably be getting the 64GB when (if) it's released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.