My first iPhone, tons of simple questions

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by NoSmokingBandit, May 24, 2011.

1. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I just got a 3GS thanks to the ATT $50 sale thing and as i'm using it i am constantly coming up with more questions. Instead of making several thread i figure i ought to combine it all in one.

First, is there a way to keep apps from using 3g and only using Wifi? I ask because i didnt get grandfathered into the unlimited data package and my data plan is shared between 3 people on my account. I'd like to limit certain apps so they can only use Wifi if at all possible.

Second, I asked this in another thread, but i'm wondering if there is a way to hear the change in ringtone volume when adjusted with the rocker button...? My phone plays the ringtone as i adjust it in the preferences app, but i cant find a way to hear it via the rocker button.

Third, is there a way to turn off the "multi-tasking"? I find it annoying when i open an app and have to navigate back through several menus to get where i want to go. I'd rather have a closed app actually close instead of saving its state.

Thats it for now. I'm jailbroken, btw, so if Cydia apps will help me feel free to make suggestions. Thanks!

2. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

How is your data plan shared between 3 people on AT&T? They have per-line data plans.

You can disable 3G data by going to Settings->General->Network and turning Cellular Data off. Then you can just turn it on once in a while.

3. Sonic04GT macrumors regular

I'm fairly new myself, but unfortunately I don't believe there is a solution to any of those, but I'm not jailbroken. I would assume there is a way on a jailbroken phone.

A lot of people don't like the multi-tasking but I've never heard of a way to shut it off. I've never seen an issue with it. Doesn't really take up any memory and at times can be very convenient.

For the ringtone I would just take note of how it sounds at roughly each 1/4 level while you're under preferences so you can estimate from your home screen.

4. Sonic04GT macrumors regular

I was going to mention that, but keep in mind you're not going to receive calls/text while you have cellular data off using the app.

5. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I believe you're thinking of Airplane Mode, where the cellular radio gets shut off. Turning off Cellular Data leaves the phone part active.

Another option is to turn off 3G data to force the phone to use EDGE. This results in slower data consumption.

6. Sonic04GT macrumors regular

Oh, interesting. :)

7. NoSmokingBandit thread starter macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

We were already on a family plan and the fellow at the store set it up so we are all share i think... Idk, i didnt talk to the salesman as the plan isnt in my name, it might be per-line. Theres a reason i dont handle contracts like this :D

I dont want to disable 3g completely, just on a per-app basis if at all possible. I regularly send and receive large files via email and i'd like to be able to do that via wifi only (nothing is time-sensitive, i can wait until i find wifi) so i dont chew through my wimpy 2gb.

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

E-mail isn't going to be the data hog. It's going to be things like streaming audio and Netflix.
    If you save the draft, you can send it when you're ready.
    I'm not sure what you're asking with your third question. If you need to close an app completely, double click the home button and hold the icon down until you see the X. It's best to close what you're not using as this can drain the battery--especially if you have 20+ programs in the dock.

9. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I highly recommend getting the myAT&T app so you can easily check your data usage from your phone.

10. himesh macrumors regular

If you leave the Wi-Fi on, it will use that as default over 3G if it knows the network.

11. NoSmokingBandit thread starter macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

What i mean is like when i have the Message app open and i'm looking through a converstaion thread with my pal Dan. I hit the home button, go about doing other things, decide to send a message to Ryan. I open the Message app and i am presented with the last screen i was at and i'm stuck backtracking so i can get to where i can send Ryan a message.

Or if i have the Preferences app open and i'm changing some sort of setting (ie my ringtone). I close the app, go back to it later to change a different setting (lets say brightness) and i have to backtrack to the main menu of Preferences to get there.

Or a better example. Today at lunch i was looking at stuff on eBay. I had a page open with a Super Beetle and hit the home button to close it. Later i wanted to check prices on fuel line (my beetle may need replacements) so i open the eBay app and i have to navigate back from the beetle page so i can browse through eBay. I'd rather have it actually close the app so when i reopen it i'll be presented with the main eBay screen.

I didnt know about the double tap/hold/X, but that doesnt really seem any more convenient than backing up through legions of menus.