My first Mac, a refurb uni 2.4 and loving it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by runebinder, Apr 28, 2009.

1. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Hi guys,

well my first post in here done on a Mac :D Ordered a late 2008 unibody Macbook Pro 2.4GHz on Saturday and received it today.

Any concerns on buying a refurb we're quickly proven unfounded, after opening the plain white box, doubt I would have felt any more excited and appreciative if I had bought a new unit. The MBP is absolutely pristene, not a mark in sight. Unfortunately didn't get any stealth upgrades lol.

Love the unit, just setting stuff up atm, but so far so good. The design is excellent, puts most Windows laptops to shame, no multitude of stickers, extra buttons etc, just minimal and classy. Really like the multitouch track pad, tap to click works nicely. The keyboard is great to type on and the sound quality is good. Also I am a fan of the glossy screen.

It's amazingly quiet as well, totally stoked with it. Testing the gaming side is gonna have to wait, Win 7 is a general public release candidate next Tuesday so I'm going to wait till then before using bootcamp.

Looking forward to getting to know OS X better, pretty much plan on using Windows for gaming, everything else will be done via OS X.

If anyone is wondering on whether they should go for refurb, then going on this experience I would majorly recommend going for it, have saved over £200 and the unboxing exp was still sweet.

I can add unboxing photos later if anyone thinking of getting a refurb would find them useful.

2. iBecks macrumors 6502

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Congrats.

In addition, Apple refurbs have full one year warranty just like new (while most PC refurbs get reduced warranty such as 90 days).

Games play fine on my MBP. I am usually in the top 3 for TF2.

4. Ramonzuton macrumors newbie

Congrats with your new machine and have fun exploring OS X!

5. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

glad to hear another successful refurb story. if i hadent needed my computer right away i would have gone the refurb route.

7. runebinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Thanks guys, by far the best notebook I've used

8. crain300 macrumors member

glad to hear it you what they say

ONCE YOU GO MAC YOU NEVER LOOK BACK

9. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

10. JimmyDreams macrumors 6502

Congrats on the successful reburb. purchase. I always got the willies when thinking about getting refurb. Something in the back of my mind always told me it wasn't worth the risk just to save a couple hundred dollars.

11. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Refurbs are the hidden gems of the market. I got my MBP 2.2 Classic when it retailed for $2000, and I paid $1450. Full warranty, now AppleCare still good for two more years. Apple replaced my battery last week after 1 year, 116 cycles, slightly less than 80% capacity (very nice) and the machine was perfect from the start.

But... the only refurbs I'd even consider are the official Apple Reconditioned products directly from Apple.com - period. They're basically brand new, completely rebuilt by hand (in Cupertino,) machines that have been scrutinized and certified. My MBP shows it was manufactured in the US - which is how official Apple refurbs are classified. They get RM series serial numbers (at least the MBPs do.)

12. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

i absolutely love refurbs. my imac and prev. gen mbp are refurbs. i actually recommend over new electronics because referbs are inspected to highest level before being resold. i wish i could have got my uni 17 refurb but there werent out long enough when i got both of mine. congrats on your purchase and may you have many years with your lappy lol.