My First Mac Computer-Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TSparger, Jan 10, 2009.

1. TSparger macrumors member

Ok, I was hoping the updated Mac Pro's would be announced at Macworld, but that didn't happen so I am going to go ahead and purchase the current model and I have some final questions before I do:

1. Where is a good/reputable place to buy them and not have to pay sales tax?
    2. I've been told to buy the bare bones model as far as the RAM and HD's go and purchase that from another dealer to save a bunch of money. It seems like I read that it is a good idea to install all the RAM and HD's that you plan to use with the system before using the computer for the first time. Is this the case and if so, why?
    3. What is the best way to configure the HD's in the Mac Pro? I will be using the computer primarily for photo editing using CS4 and LR 2.0 and some of the other miscellaneous applications.
    4. What brand of internal HD's would you recommend and a good place to purchase them?
    5. I am wanting a monitor in the 23-24" range and based on my research have narrowed it down to either an NEC LCD2490WUXiSV for $1,299 or a 23" ACD for $809 that I have found in the local Apple store. Which would be my best option? Please feel free to suggest other options.
    6. My current computer is really slooooowww right now and I could probably limp by, but not for long. Am I crazy for not waiting until the updated MP's come out? From what I've been reading this could be as late as early summer of this year.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

WAIT FOR NEHALEM. IT WAS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN AT MACWORLD.

It's obscenely cheaper. You NEVER buy RAM from Apple unless you're buying the DAY the thing has come out. You NEVER buy HDDs from Apple EVER.

Do you need a H-IPS panel? If not, don't waste your money on an $800 display from three years ago.

Waiting.

3. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

:rolleyes:
    unless you're really going to use/need all that power the current system is great and will work fine for years.

1. any of the standard retailers are fine, macmall, OWC, newegg.

2. yes, no memory upgrades from apple. both OWC and newegg sell the right RAM, just make sure you get the right kind for the current model.

3. just put your files on a 2nd drive and put apps and OS only on the boot drive.

6. yeah, nobody really knows for sure when they're going to get updated. all we know is intels road map, but that's no guarantee of when apple's going release new machines. despite what The Great Prognosticator Tallest Skil might say....

4. jennb macrumors newbie

I bought 3 of these WD Caviar SE16. There are some great threads in here on HDs with members recommending both brands and places to purchase them. I also consulted a few articles on Bare Feats like this one.

I have the 23 ACD. The MP & ACD get used for designing a journal twice a year, although not by me. It's worth it for those two projects alone. I did plenty of research on this topic, probably more than necessary. I did make an effort to look at monitors in person.

My ACD has served me well. No issues yet and I've had it about 8 months.

Hm. The "to wait or not to wait" is THE question around these forums. I try to subscribe to the "get it when you need it" and will wait at most a month before a possible release.

Is it for work? If so, that slowness really can cramp productivity and drive one crazy.

I also found this thread helpful once I got my MP.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

We have a pretty good clue, though. Gainestown goes into production this month. Apple releases the Mac Pro about 6-8 weeks after the chips are first produced, so...

February or March.

6. rikoshay macrumors member

rikoshay

This makes no sense to me. When you get the computer from Apple (or, another source), you should make sure everything is working to your satisfaction BEFORE installing 3rd party add-ons. If there are problems, you're covered by your Apple warranty, with full assistance.

After you're sure your new Mac is functioning as it should, THEN make your hardware changes. Making drive and/or RAM changes without even seeing if the base machine is working doesn't even make common sense to me. Is this an example of Windoze conditioning?

7. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

My guess is Feb or March. The MPs are due a refresh about now and Apple won't want to leave it for over a year...

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They don't care. They left it for a year and a half last time.

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The NEC is the best 24" display available and a great choice, but you should be able to find it a lot cheaper that $1,299 online. I'm not sure that there are any other silver/aluminium cased displays of that size (assuming that is something you want) other than those by Hazro, but they are UK only still I think. Though most sites don't sell the SV version of the NEC.

10. TSparger thread starter macrumors member

I guess I should have mentioned in my original post, but this computer will be used primarily for photography using CS4 and LR2.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

Don't confuse beginning production with release. Intel (or any fab), begins production before they deliver. ;) 13 weeks is typical for lead time, but given the Q1 '09 self-imposed delivery, the demand, and their desire to obtain an income, they will likely try to ship them out late March. It'll be close. :eek:

Hopefully they will manage to surprise us, but I'm leary ATM, as the second 45nm fab isn't operational yet, IIRC.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

If you don't need a monitor for graphics/video editing work (not sure here :eek:), there's a few alternatives that are less expensive.

If you still want an IPS panel, the HP LP2475w is a possibility. Well rated, and ~$600USD street. Just an idea. ;)

Just saw a latter post, so never mind. Go for the NEC.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I would wait at this point. Most of Apple's pro stuff is a tad bit outdated. It still works great, but newer technologies are waiting in line. Nehalem will be out soon, the ACDs will be refreshed soon, maybe new Apple keyboards/mice to match the latest black keys and multi touch fads, etc.

14. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Is Nehalem out "soon"? Or will we wait until the end of the year to see it on the Mac? Not seen anything to suggest one way or another...

15. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Probably late Q2

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Talking about the Mac Pro? 1-2 months from now. NOT late Q2, please... they may as well just use Beckton if they wait that long...

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

Hint: Typically 13 week lead time from production to shipping. ;)

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Thought it was 6-8?

Late November 2007 Penryn production, first week of January release.

19. nanofrog macrumors G4

13 weeks for electronic components (parts supply). That is, the time required for a fab to manufacture the part, and actually get it in the hands of the system manufacturer. (Applicable to basically any electronic component made, even CPU's). It includes manufacture time, packaging, shipping, and customs. And things do go wrong. :eek: :p

The 6 - 8 week time frame, is the typical time the system vendor needs to take parts in hand, and ship a finished computer system.

Hopefully this will help clear things up a little. :)

20. TSparger thread starter macrumors member

I don't mean to be rude or unappreciative, but I don't want this thread to turn into solely a discussion about when Apple will release the new model and would prefer to have different opinions on my specific questions. Thanks for everyone's input so far and I'm looking forward to more.

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Sorry, sorry... hard to stop that from happening at this point.

1. Amazon.com. No sales tax, but it may be a few days after the update before the new models show up there.
    2. Yes, don't up the RAM and HDD from Apple, but do NOT install your third-party stuff before ever using your computer. Turn it on, make sure all the direct-from-Apple stuff works, go through what you have to go through for setup, then shut it down and install your new stuff.
    5. As I asked before, do you NEED a H-IPS panel? If not, there are plenty of cheaper 24" monitors.
    6. Try to limp along as best you can. Nehalem is worth it.

22. nanofrog macrumors G4

Not a problem. Easy to get side tracked. ;)

Anyway, back to your issues.
    1. Tallest Skil has given a really recommendation with Amazon.
    2. Definitely buy a base model, and get the upgrades 3rd party, and save some $$$.
    3. RAID if possible, as it can give throughput that goes well with video/photo editing. (Can get complicated though). How many drives/sizes were you thinking of?
    4. WD or Seagate for enterprise, WD for consumer. If you go Seagate, you might want to read up on the 1.5TB drive before buying. (Seagate can be difficult to get firmware from).
    5. Given the video/photo editing, IPS is likely the best choice for you. The NEC you want should serve you very well. I've not seen any complaints anyway, and it's been reviewed really well.
    6. Hard to say. Are you using the system to make a living with?

Other than that, I see 3 basic choices.
    a. Buy now, and be happy. Especially if your work will generate an income.
    b. Wait, and buy the next model. May is realistic I think, given the current information available. Sooner if Intel ships prior to the end of March.
    c. Wait for the next model, and see if you can get a current model at a little more of a discount. If you're thinking this way, the refurb route may be able to place a system in your hands sooner.

Hope this helps. :)

23. TSparger thread starter macrumors member

I'm not really verse on the different types of LCD monitors, but I am using it for photography, which basically means I need a monitor that gives true color rendition, easily calibrates, matte screen and a wide color gamut.

24. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

if you want to ensure colour acuracy, get a Huey or Huey Pro, calibration dongle. Plug into a USB Port, stick it over your screen, run the software and there you go. its just about the easiest way to calibrate your monitor and the pro one can continually monitor and adjust calibration/brightness ect. and adjust for ambient light conditions. I think they're about £99 ish

25. antonis669 macrumors newbie

hello everyone-brand new

can anybody tell me the steps after downloading a game? What do i have to do. I am completelly confused.